Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

16 in wheels to 17 in wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 16 in wheels to 17 in wheels?

So my Z28 currently has the stocker snowflake wheels. I'm looking to upgrade to the 10 spoke 17 in SS wheels. My questions are these:

1. Will my handling improve?

2. Will my ride quality stay the same, increase, decrease?

3. Do I need to get my speedo adjusted?

4. Are there any cons or negative side effects of the 17 in wheels vs the 16 in wheels?

5. Will I get the same gas mileage?

Thanks in advance, I just want to make sure I know everything there is to know before making this decision.
Old 04-03-2013 | 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Several of these questions were answered in your last thread about this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ss-wheels.html

But to recap.....

1) Yes.

2) Ride quality will be more harsh with the smaller sidewall of the 275/40 vs. the 245/50. Just how noticeable this will be depends on personal perception, road conditions, tire choice, and shocks/suspension condition.

3) No. Tire diameter is 25.65" for 245/50/16 vs. 25.66" for 275/40/17.

4) Yes. If you drive the car in snow conditions, the wider 17" wheel/tire combo will increase contact patch and spread the vehicle weight over a greater area, thus reducing bite in the snow. A skinnier wheel/tire combo will offer superior traction for these cars in snow conditions. Also, as mentioned in #2, ride quality will be a bit more harsh as compared to the 245/50 tires, all else being equal. Additionally, the wider tires will be more likely to follow grooves in the road. These are the things I have personally noticed on my two Z28s that I have switched from 16" (245/50) to 17" (275/40) wheels (tires).

Having said all that, I still believe that the switch to 17" wheels for spring/summer/fall duty was the right choice and I would do it again. Those issues I listed are minor at best. However, I do have a separate set of 16" wheels with 225mm snow tires for the winter.

5) I personally have noticed no significant difference in this area. Technically, rolling resistance will be higher, and overall wheel/tire weight will be a bit greater, so I guess it stands to reason that MPG would theoretically be decreased to some degree. But again, I think we're talking marginal amounts here because it was never enough for me to even notice.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2013 | 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Several of these questions were answered in your last thread about this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ss-wheels.html

But to recap.....

1) Yes.

2) Ride quality will be more harsh with the smaller sidewall of the 275/40 vs. the 245/50. Just how noticeable this will be depends on personal perception, road conditions, tire choice, and shocks/suspension condition.

3) No. Tire diameter is 25.65" for 245/50/16 vs. 25.66" for 275/40/17.

4) Yes. If you drive the car in snow conditions, the wider 17" wheel/tire combo will increase contact patch and spread the vehicle weight over a greater area, thus reducing bite in the snow. A skinnier wheel/tire combo will offer superior traction for these cars in snow conditions. Also, as mentioned in #2, ride quality will be a bit more harsh as compared to the 245/50 tires, all else being equal. Additionally, the wider tires will be more likely to follow grooves in the road. These are the things I have personally noticed on my two Z28s that I have switched from 16" (245/50) to 17" (275/40) wheels (tires).

Having said all that, I still believe that the switch to 17" wheels for spring/summer/fall duty was the right choice and I would do it again. Those issues I listed are minor at best. However, I do have a separate set of 16" wheels with 225mm snow tires for the winter.

5) I personally have noticed no significant difference in this area. Technically, rolling resistance will be higher, and overall wheel/tire weight will be a bit greater, so I guess it stands to reason that MPG would theoretically be decreased to some degree. But again, I think we're talking marginal amounts here because it was never enough for me to even notice.
As always thank you for telling me everything I need to know!

Quick Reply: 16 in wheels to 17 in wheels?