Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Radial Life Span

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
It is not that LS series do not have low end torque, the nature of the curve just doesn't give you the feeling of a perceptable hard peak.

I think I agree with this. The power isnt great down low, however it just seems to never stop building on the ls1.
It is more perception because of the lack of fall off than reality. LT1's peaked with 335 ft/lbs at something like 2500-2700 rpms, and then the fall of would begin. LS1's peak around 4000, and carry the power out. They are not giving up much down low, you are just not feeling the drop off until well through the powerband. I posted a dyno graph of my car (not direct comarison as it has headers cam), but I am making more torque at the wheels than a stock LT1 makes at the motor at low rpms. Theoretically, an aftermarket cam would soften the low end to begin with.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Where is the graph? I'd like to see it. I'd also love to see a comparison of several motors now, stock that is. ls1, lt1, and 5.0. maybe throw one of fords newer offerings in there too. would be interesting to just to compare the curves.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm about to throw either some Toyo Proxes TQ or NT05Rs on mine. Seems like the TQ have better life, traction, and wet weather manners. But eh. I'd stay away from the 555R. Too many other choices now, including the MT ET Street.

The other option would be the R888. It doesn't give up anything to any tire. Wet, curves, straight-line. It does it. NT01 is also an interesting choice, but seems like it's less forgiving in the rain.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
uh-oh, this thread is about to take a turn. Well in my opinion no, i dont feel they are very torquey down low. I had a 91 5 liter with headers, full exhaust, intake, MAF, pulleys....all the typical bolt on stuff. Also went from the stock 2.73's to 3.55s. That thing pulled from way down low in a way these things just dont. Now i dont have any real experience any of the modular motors they started putting in mustangs afterwards, but I would bet your typical 4.6 liter 2 valve is probably has even less low end than our ls1's. Another quick little tidbit - I test drove an 01 or 02 transam (dont remember exactly when it was) the day after christmas when they were brand new. Was just out driving cuz i was bored. I always loved the look of the these cars, which is why ten years later i sought out and bought a pristine one. Anyway, I pulled into my local dealer as I often did just to poke around the lot, see if they had any nice ones and then dream. I did not have money for a 30 something thousand dollar car. Well a salesman comes out and starts trying to work me. I told him i was just looking over and over. he saw me, saw my mustang (which was really nice looking, lowered saleen wing, rims, sharp and clean, not a beater by any means) and wouldnt let go. He kept telling me that if i drove the transam i was going to be amazed and fall in love yada yada yada. So finally i said fine, but told him that I was not going to be easy on it and that if he wanted me to drive it so badly then i was going to really see what it had. he had no problem with it. So finally we get in the car and I pull out of the parking lot sideways. The road the dealer was on had some good decent length straights and because of the time there was no one on the road. Again, day after xmas. I ran through gears a few times. The salesman, to his credit, was fine with this and was pretty cool. But when we got back and he asked me I thought i told him ---- it just doesnt feel that fast, that my car felt quicker. He was shocked. I said sorry and left. Now to be honest, that TA was probably a little bit quicker than my 5 liter was on a drag strip and I would have had a good chance of hving my *** handed to me on a dragstrip, but the simple fact of the matter is that my car FELT quicker because it prety much always just pulled hard. I mean it dropped off pwerwise after 5 grand, but in first and second you were spinning tires with the car going partially sideways down the road while still pushing you into the seat a good amount. And in normal everyday driving it always had torque on instant tap. My ws6 just doesnt feel that way. I am betting that my set of 4.10s is going to change this. anyway, thats my 72 cents.
No, I wasn't trying to tell you you were wrong or anything lol, and I do get what you are saying for sure. In my defense I came from a 04 gt with 3.90's and full bolt ons and cams. To me it felt even more sluggish down low than my bone stock 98 Z28 with stock 3.42's. I could nail my Z28 at like 2k in 4yh, and it would actually pull decent...not so with the stang lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I'm about to throw either some Toyo Proxes TQ or NT05Rs on mine. Seems like the TQ have better life, traction, and wet weather manners. But eh. I'd stay away from the 555R. Too many other choices now, including the MT ET Street.

The other option would be the R888. It doesn't give up anything to any tire. Wet, curves, straight-line. It does it. NT01 is also an interesting choice, but seems like it's less forgiving in the rain.
R888 may still be a bit dicey in the rain, not a lot of tread depth or tread area to evacuate water. I wanted to try them, but couldn't afford them at all four corners.

Graph is in the Gen III internal engine section.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The mickey's are a little bit more money, and there is no way those things can be safe in the rain. That being said I have never and dont intend to ever let my car see the rain, so i guess its a dumb thing to worry about. lol. What about BFG's? Nobody running these things anymore? I remember a lot of hype about them when they came out years ago. A buddy of mine runs them on his 69 camaro, they look real nice. I believe they are the same size as my 02 ws6, maybe one aspect ratio size higher. No idea how they hook cuz he's running a POS 350 that could barely break the old 14 inch generic brand all seasons loose.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im wondering if the toyo TQ will be my best bet. I daily drive my car, but at the same time want to be able to hook, be safe to drive in the rain, and still look beefy.

Quick Reply: Drag Radial Life Span