Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone had problems with tire age?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013 | 04:08 PM
Teching In

I put old ones once on my car and they made noise and traction was bad.
Old 05-11-2013 | 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damaged beads can also happen from not using a lubricate during mounting......

I had a tire that I was replacing shred the bead on removal. I added a little soapy water and the other three came off without any damage. Not that I really cared but it was a learning experience.
Old 05-11-2013 | 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Post pictures of the "damaged" bead
they left the tire on the rim...said it took them an hour to get it on.

Originally Posted by JDECO
285/30-19 yep some kid ripped your bead. Easy to do if you dont know what you are doing
this is what i was thinking, especially with it being such a low profile. but like i said they blamed it on the tires age.

Last edited by green manalishi; 05-11-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2013 | 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

I just switched over some snow tires the other day and they were an 08 tire of all things no rot on the tires the summer tires could have used a replacement. But I managed to not tear any of the tires :-p
Old 05-13-2013 | 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

The tires on my car were installed on September 9, 2006. They are hard and cracking. I'm anxious to feel the difference between those and the Michelin Pilot Super sports I'll be adding this week.
Old 05-13-2013 | 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

You will love those michelins quiet and sticky
Old 05-13-2013 | 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LILWS6
You will love those michelins quiet and sticky
I'm so anxious to compare the two. These 7 year old Kumho Ecstas are dried and cracked up. I'm ordering wheels tonight. I just can't decide if I want +40mm or +56mm offset.
Old 05-13-2013 | 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Oh boy going from brand new kumho's to those michelins would be a huge difference let alone dried up kumho's
Old 05-13-2013 | 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

lol I'll def report back. Do you have any thought on my offset dilemma? 18x9.5" all the way around
Old 05-14-2013 | 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Here are a couple links regarding tire age from Tire Rack's website:

Tire Aging Part #1

Tire Aging Part #2
Old 05-14-2013 | 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

off set i'm not sure i'm running 17's with 10.5's in the back so my offset will be different than yours
Old 05-17-2013 | 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Your wheel might make it more difficult in mounting tires also.

Certain wheels are more of a pain than others.

Hre's are notorious for being difficult. Their barrels don't have drop centers. So when mounting and dismounting, the bead does have a channel to sit in that allows the sidewall to go on at a good angle. Breaking the bead doesn't actually make it stay unseated. The tires constantly try to reseat themselves. If the tech doesn't use the extra "hand" that holds the sidewall down when they try to pry the bead over the lip, it'll tear it real fast. Plus, billet wheels like hre and ccw have pretty sharp lips and can cut the bead if you're not careful.

My bbs are reverse mount only also. I believe some ccw are too. I know that the ccw 505a has an outer lip that's significantly larger than it has to be. So if the tech tried mounting the tire from the front side, he will stretch the bead too much and it becomes really easy to tear it.

Techs in tire shops are usually pretty dumb. Ive been around the industry for a while and heard tons of stories and seen lots of dumb stuff. So don't assume that the tech did everything right unless you can tell that he's pretty intelligent from actually speaking to him. Just cuz it's their job doesn't mean they know what they are doing... I personally know 4 techs that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground, yet it's their job to do this stuff. Lol
Old 05-17-2013 | 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flubyux2
Your wheel might make it more difficult in mounting tires also.

Certain wheels are more of a pain than others.

Hre's are notorious for being difficult. Their barrels don't have drop centers. So when mounting and dismounting, the bead does have a channel to sit in that allows the sidewall to go on at a good angle. Breaking the bead doesn't actually make it stay unseated. The tires constantly try to reseat themselves. If the tech doesn't use the extra "hand" that holds the sidewall down when they try to pry the bead over the lip, it'll tear it real fast. Plus, billet wheels like hre and ccw have pretty sharp lips and can cut the bead if you're not careful.

My bbs are reverse mount only also. I believe some ccw are too. I know that the ccw 505a has an outer lip that's significantly larger than it has to be. So if the tech tried mounting the tire from the front side, he will stretch the bead too much and it becomes really easy to tear it.

Techs in tire shops are usually pretty dumb. Ive been around the industry for a while and heard tons of stories and seen lots of dumb stuff. So don't assume that the tech did everything right unless you can tell that he's pretty intelligent from actually speaking to him. Just cuz it's their job doesn't mean they know what they are doing... I personally know 4 techs that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground, yet it's their job to do this stuff. Lol
Agreed I've worked with some tire techs that should not be working on cars.

Quick Reply: anyone had problems with tire age?