Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto Invo or Michelin Pilot SS 275/35/18?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dws6
Last I heard from Sam they are made by hypercoil not vogtland.
Even better yet, since they are made HERE!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
BMR aren't progressive either.

But as far as the tires go, Nitto makes a good tire at a good price. I have the NT05 which is a step up from the Invo in terms of pure performance, but doesn't seem to be harsh or loud. I like the tire a lot.

Michelin probably makes the best tire 9 times out of 10, but the price may not be justified. Are the Super Sports better than the Invo? Yeah, but that's because it's not the same class of tire. SS vs NT05 is a more fair comparison and between those two SS are probably a better tire, but they are also considerably more expensive.
^^^TRUE, and I would actually expect the NT05 to be a little stickier than the Pilot SS, given it's 100 less point treadwear rating, but one cannot always go by that.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nope. Each tire company does the treadwear rating differently. It's hard to even compare tires within a company sometimes, since they'll rate Max Summer differently than Hi-Po All Season. It's crap.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah theses SS are gum *****. And still supposedly have a 30,000 mile warranty. I was really disapointed on first drive with them as it literally felt like I was driving on ice. But after about 50 miles the coating on the tread wore off and they got sticky. Probably a wax release coating from the mold???
Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dws6
Yeah theses SS are gum *****. And still supposedly have a 30,000 mile warranty. I was really disapointed on first drive with them as it literally felt like I was driving on ice. But after about 50 miles the coating on the tread wore off and they got sticky. Probably a wax release coating from the mold???
That's EXACTLY what it was, and most tires have that in/on them and it has to be 'sweated out' during break in.

People swear by those Pilot SSs on other sites, on a whole bunch of cars, and are just amazed that a tire can be that sticky, and still ride well, have phenomenal turn in response, and still get to a decent mileage.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
IF you can afford them, the Pilot Super Sports are 100x the tire of the Invos.

They will do EVERYTHING MUCH BETTER, maybe even including lasting longer.

I WISH I had wheels that would allow me to use these super donuts!
I don't agree with this. I have had brand new Invos on my C5 and currently have brand new Michelin SS on my C5. Both are great tires when new. The main difference is the Invos are cheaper and cooler looking. Its also worth noting I have road raced (track days) on both tires with the same car. It would be silly to say the Michelins are 100x better. Not even 2x better to average joe.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Michelin Super Sports are the best overall street tire on the market today. Excellent Grip and response. Top wet performance. They also will wear better compared to the competition. One of my personal favorites!!

Get them and you won't be sorry!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
Michelin Super Sports are the best overall street tire on the market today. Excellent Grip and response. Top wet performance. They also will wear better compared to the competition. One of my personal favorites!!

Get them and you won't be sorry!
Your company doesn't sell Nitto tires, so your opinion is undoubtedly biased.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also can't agree with the Michelin's being 100% better...the Invos are a great tire, Vette guys seem to love them. They get good mileage, are good riding, and for myself because I have a heavy car and a sub in the back which helps, hook from anything but a dig on the street. I don't see most going to the track and road racing these usually, or anything such as that besides spirited street driving, and the Invos again work great for that. I've gotten 20k out of mine (and I had fucked up alignment/inflation) which I feel to be sufficient, and will be replacing them with Invos again (already replaced the fronts).
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin has some great new A/S 3 tires that are also worth a look, if you also care about rain traction, <60 deg. F temperatures, snow or ice, etc. plus great handling AND 45k mi. warranty! I am probably going with them on my RS which sees all seasons.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-13-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nittos are without a doubt a great street tire, but the michelins are also without a doubt a better tire.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Out of the Consumer Reports' selections only six are recommended, the SS's came out on top (90 of 100, vs. 82 for the next best tire, Invo got only a 72! and CR does not recommend them, Nitto NT 05 got a 78 but also not recommended) in the Summer Ultra High Performance category. The other big deal is the SS tires come with a 30k mi. tread warranty, many others do not! http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...warranties.pdf

Super Sport:
"CR's Take
A tire with few compromises. Outstanding track performance.

Highs
Top rated summer UHP tire with few compromises. Excellent dry and wet braking. Outstanding dry handling and unparallel tread life for a summer UHP tire.

Lows
Average noise isolation."

Invo:

"CR's Take
Very good marks for dry and wet performance, but a master of none.

Highs
A very good balance of dry and wet performance.

Lows
So-so hydroplaning resistance. Noisy tire. Fair tread life, but competitive among summer UHP tires."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-overview.htm

Other recommended in this category after the SS tires are:
Name Rating
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 82
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 82
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 82
Continental Extreme Contact DW 80
Hankook Ventus V12 evo 80

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-13-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: corrected link, CR tested a lot more UHP tires than I realized
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

The big Consumer Reports tire update is coming this fall!

2013 Consumer Reports tire program: Ultra-high-performance tires take to the track
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...tires-uhp.html

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-13-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitto Invo or Michelin Pilot SS 275/35/18?