Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help Choosing a Drag/Street Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Choosing a Drag/Street Set Up

Hello everyone. Looking to choose a track/street set up for my Camaro. First a little background; car is a 00 Z28 M6 with a stock rear (3.42), stock rear calipers, C5Z front calipers on an Fbody rotor. Motor wise, it is a cam only (397 whp) LS1, with a Nitrous Outlet plate on it usually spray 150. I hit the track fairly often (at least once a month) and drive my car on the street occasionally... Occasionally meaning less than 1000 miles per year. 1000 miles would actually be a stretch for me, I would say realistically more like 750 or so. I do drive my car to the track because I have no trailer. I also absolutely HATE switching wheels at the track. I like to get my car ready at home, drive it to the track and have a good time. I'm not looking to break records or squeeze thousandths of a second out of my E/T, I'd like to keep racing strictly a hobby.

At this point i'm really torn on what set up would work well for me. I am in love with the Black S71 Weld RTS series of wheel, especially now that they come in so many different sizes. My issue is there are 2 local mustang guys who I hang out with regularly that run the Black RTS wheels. I do not want to have a carbon copy of their set up... What I am debating is using a combination of the Black Weld RTS and a different style Weld wheel. Here are the combos I have in my mind.

1. Weld RTS black 15x10 out back and black Alumastar 17x4.5 up front.
-my worry with this set up is the streetability of the Alumastars. Although I dont drive my car very often, I am worried about breaking or bending the alumstars. Additionally I hate that they only come in 17x4.5 sizing, this leaves me with very limited tire choices (basically Hoosier or MH).

2. Weld RTS black 17x7 up front and black weld RT 15x10 out back.
-This set up seems much more practical. There are a lot more tire choices in this size and I feel that those tire choices would make the car a little more streetable. However, I am unsure if the RT series would clear stock rear brakes being a 3 piece design.

Any other suggestions I am completely open to as far as wheels. I have also taken a look at Champion wheels, which look very much like RTS's but I know that they will not clear rear calipers unfortunately.

My next issue is choosing tires. I know for an M6 a bias ply is hands down the way to go. However, I know that they are thin and puncture easily if run on the street. Just looking for advice from those that have experience running a bias ply on the street. I am not so much worried about the tires wearing out (like I said I drive my car MAYBE 1000 miles per year) as I am punctures and wobbling at high speed. I also realize that running a bias ply rear also means I have to run a bias ply front, which again limits my tire choices greatly for front runners. I am thinking that maybe I should just stick with a drag radial rear such as a Hoosier dot drag radial or the MT ET Street. With a 15" drag radial it would seem that would still allow for a solid launch and be a little more street friendly with the stiffer sidewalls.

Lastly I am debating on what size tire to run. I really like the look of the 28" tall drag tire but have seen some pictures of guys running them and they look really close to the rear bumper. I have adjustable LCA's but am wondering if its a pain trying to fit 28" tires on an fbody? Also, are there any good choices for a 27" tall tire? I feel that may be a good medium between the 26" (which I think looks too small) and a 28" (which can have clearance issues). Any guidance is very much appreciated. Thank you everyone!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody??

Quick Reply: Help Choosing a Drag/Street Set Up