Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Opinions on a new wheel setup.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
8-8.5" is WAY too narrow IMO. These cars come stock with 9" wide wheels on the WS6/SS cars, and even those look too narrow (especially with the tucked in offset they have).
Look how good a 17x11 wheel looks and fills out the wheel well:

If you want it to ride and handle atleast half decent then this is as cheap as it gets:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
You'll probably want to add an adjustable PHB if you are planning on running taller or wider wheels than stock.
Really? I never knew they were that wide stock. always thought they were around maybe the 8" area. Idk what width my 20"s are, I'd figured they were 8.5. But doesn't it get more expensive soon as you get wider and wider when it comes to wheels? The site I used (carID) only offered 18" x 8.5, that was the biggest they offered for 18", however, the 20"s they offered had 9-9.5. I think they had 10 as well.

I won't lie, those wheels do fill the wheel wells very well. In fact I thought those were 18"s to be honest. haha

And really I just want to lower it just a bit. Not for racing reasons, just appearance. Even though right now my ride is terrible due to the 20"s. Didn't SS's come with the option of difference suspension as well? Thought I read that somewhere.. But anyway thanks for the link! These prices are a lot lower than I expected, I thought I'd be spending $1000+.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fyi 18,19 tires are very pricey, if ya like tt2s , you wont be able to find a 18, most go with the 17x11 ,17x9 with a 315 rear tire, imo if u dd go 17s ,18 inch tire prices can suck a fatty
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
the avant garde 310's and the 550? I believe look awesome. I think they are silver in color and would accent the stripe on your car well...not to mention they will look great if you choose to get rid of it. Like others have said, run at least a 9.5 inch wide wheels all the way around and if the option is there, run a 10.5 or larger wide wheel in the rear. You will notice a performance gain regardless by ditching those 20's, but I would personally run an 18x9.5 in the front and an 18x10.5 or 11 in the rear. You're on the right track to get rid of the spoiler, put new wheels on the car and lower it. It will be cool to see how this car turns out.

Another wheel that looks like the avant garde is the OE wheel corvette spyder wheel I believe.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.UzlomvldUzY

should fit your budget too. Keep posting pics
I think they would too, I think silver or chrome with this metallic blue looks pretty cool imo, really aiming for that. I do want to get rid of the stripes but the previous owner left it bake in the sun for so long it literally has become one with the paint, as you can see..

It's actually peeling the paint off with it. So I'll most likely just run a single stripe that runs all the way to the back. Kinda like that one stripe that some camaro guys have that runs in from of the front wheel well all the way to the back. Similar to that.

I do think the setup you said would be a good idea as well. But wouldn't that be expensive? Let alone be harder on the 10 bolt considering I'll be getting more grip?

Some others said not to go with OE wheels because they look cheap/bad, thoughts?

I'll definitely post pictures once she's done with everything, quite excited to see how she turns out, I'll keep you guys tuned in.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Never would've thought they had the same bolt pattern as us. I'll check the listings out for sure. How much do they usually run for?
BMW bolt pattern is 5x120mm, ours is 5x120.65mm. That's less than the width of a mechanical pencil lead. Just make sure you get hub centric rings to center the wheel perfectly.

I've seen sets of 4 wheels go for $300-800, and wheels/tires go for $800-$2000.

Depends on the style and how motivated the seller is. I've seen shipping from free to $90 to $250, just keep that in mind. And if a tire says it has 65% tread left, that means its about done, don't pay for someone's tires if they aren't any good, or a style of your liking.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Really? I never knew they were that wide stock. always thought they were around maybe the 8" area. Idk what width my 20"s are, I'd figured they were 8.5.
Yep, hey were 17x9" with 275/40/17 tires all around.
But doesn't it get more expensive soon as you get wider and wider when it comes to wheels? The site I used (carID) only offered 18" x 8.5, that was the biggest they offered for 18", however, the 20"s they offered had 9-9.5. I think they had 10 as well.
They get more expensive to an extent. 17"s are definitely cheaper than anything bigger, it seems prices sky rocket with anything taller. Check out discounttiredirect.com for pricing: (275s vs 315s)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...e&rd=17&cs=275
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...Tires=1&cs=315

I won't lie, those wheels do fill the wheel wells very well. In fact I thought those were 18"s to be honest. haha
All depends on style, and especially tire height. Do not go overly low profile, and do not stretch the tires.

And really I just want to lower it just a bit. Not for racing reasons, just appearance. Even though right now my ride is terrible due to the 20"s. Didn't SS's come with the option of difference suspension as well? Thought I read that somewhere.. But anyway thanks for the link! These prices are a lot lower than I expected, I thought I'd be spending $1000+.
SS's and Firehawks could be optioned with SLP bilstiens shocks, 1LE optioned cars got Koni double adjustable's with specific 1LE springs (same height as stock with a higher rate). Both also got different swaybars over the base cars. Fortunately things are pretty cheap with these cars compared to most performance cars out there today.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

I've always wondered how far prices skyrocket when going from 17" to 18". I've done a quick poke around on tirerack. And noticed a slight jump on some tires, but nothing insane...
Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67rally
BMW bolt pattern is 5x120mm, ours is 5x120.65mm. That's less than the width of a mechanical pencil lead. Just make sure you get hub centric rings to center the wheel perfectly.

I've seen sets of 4 wheels go for $300-800, and wheels/tires go for $800-$2000.

Depends on the style and how motivated the seller is. I've seen shipping from free to $90 to $250, just keep that in mind. And if a tire says it has 65% tread left, that means its about done, don't pay for someone's tires if they aren't any good, or a style of your liking.
That close? Wow, I'll look into them for sure. I have to wait for my tax refund to come so I'll look around.

That price doesn't seem to bad. Do those wheels come in 9.5" width? I would like some wider wheels considering what I learned about the camaro's wheels width in stock form. Hopefully I can find fairly cheap tires as well.

As for tires, what's the minimum amount of tire tread that you think would still be a okay buy?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Yep, hey were 17x9" with 275/40/17 tires all around.

They get more expensive to an extent. 17"s are definitely cheaper than anything bigger, it seems prices sky rocket with anything taller. Check out discounttiredirect.com for pricing: (275s vs 315s)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...e&rd=17&cs=275
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...Tires=1&cs=315

All depends on style, and especially tire height. Do not go overly low profile, and do not stretch the tires.

SS's and Firehawks could be optioned with SLP bilstiens shocks, 1LE optioned cars got Koni double adjustable's with specific 1LE springs (same height as stock with a higher rate). Both also got different swaybars over the base cars. Fortunately things are pretty cheap with these cars compared to most performance cars out there today.
Wow, my current tires are only 245's.. Damn, I'm surprised I get traction . Thanks for the links, I'll check the prices out.

So what amount of sidewall would you think be okay with a pair of 18's?

And you aren't kidding about cheap performance parts. Did some more searching on that site. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of performance you gain.

Only problem I see with lowering the car, is the fact I live in POT HOLE heaven.. Also known as Western Pennsylvania.. So with the ground effects on. It'll be very low. Are there any springs that lower .5"? Idk if going any lower would be smart around the pittsburgh area..
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That close? Wow, I'll look into them for sure. I have to wait for my tax refund to come so I'll look around.

That price doesn't seem to bad. Do those wheels come in 9.5" width? I would like some wider wheels considering what I learned about the camaro's wheels width in stock form. Hopefully I can find fairly cheap tires as well.

As for tires, what's the minimum amount of tire tread that you think would still be a okay buy?
I think 2 or 3/32 is minimum by law. I wouldn't run any less. If a tire stars with 7/32 and someone says it has 50% tread, that means its down close to not passing inspection.

Newer M series wheels come in wider widths. Just do some homework. Check on ebay even just to get an idea on pricing.

Sidewall height is a factor of wheel width x aspect ratio. A 245/40/18 had less sidewall than a 275/40/18. The first number is the width in mm. The second is the aspect ration (sidewall height, which is width x .40), the last is rim size.

Roughly speaking...
A 245/45/17 is the same height as
A 245/40/18
Or a 245/35/19...
Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67rally
I think 2 or 3/32 is minimum by law. I wouldn't run any less. If a tire stars with 7/32 and someone says it has 50% tread, that means its down close to not passing inspection.

Newer M series wheels come in wider widths. Just do some homework. Check on ebay even just to get an idea on pricing.

Sidewall height is a factor of wheel width x aspect ratio. A 245/40/18 had less sidewall than a 275/40/18. The first number is the width in mm. The second is the aspect ration (sidewall height, which is width x .40), the last is rim size.

Roughly speaking...
A 245/45/17 is the same height as
A 245/40/18
Or a 245/35/19...
You think it would be better if I just found just wheels and bought some tires of my own?

Also having trouble finding some rear 18x10 rear wheels of my liking. I would like to avoid staggered but I would like more traction. Just taking in everyones advice.

You think C6 GrandSport wheels would look alright with this car? I kinda like the design. Didn't know if anyone has ran any.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Launching!

What do you guys think about C6 GrandSport wheels?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you guys think about C6 GrandSport wheels?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...port-rims.html
Im not a fan of the styling but to each their own.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...port-rims.html
Im not a fan of the styling but to each their own.
They look alright to me. But looks like everyone else hated them. Seems this forum is a hard bunch to please. In fact I found his new setup not that great either. Always liked more wheel than tire look. Small wheels kinda bother me. But as you said to each their own.

I just thought they would look better than your avarage c6 wheels. Never liked them even on corvettes, just bland imo.

Considering they don't look as good, I'll just keep looking. Finding wheels seems a lot harder than I thought. Found some 5 spoke wheels, but kinda want 6 spokes, something different, but not entirely ugly. Haha
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

They look alright to me. But looks like everyone else hated them. Seems this forum is a hard bunch to please. In fact I found his new setup not that great either. Always liked more wheel than tire look. Small wheels kinda bother me. But as you said to each their own.
I know what you are talking about, but IMO thats really hard to pull off with these cars. They generally look better with meaty tires and 17" or 18" wheels rather than taller wheels with shorter sidewalls IMO. Exotics and higher end cars pull it off well, but just not these as much.

Ive always had a soft spot for these wheels since they came out:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.U0HYQlfI7IU
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...5#.U0HXp1fI7IU
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.U0HXslfI7IU
Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Launching!

I know what you are talking about, but IMO thats really hard to pull off with these cars. They generally look better with meaty tires and 17" or 18" wheels rather than taller wheels with shorter sidewalls IMO. Exotics and higher end cars pull it off well, but just not these as much.

Ive always had a soft spot for these wheels since they came out:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.U0HYQlfI7IU
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...5#.U0HXp1fI7IU
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...2#.U0HXslfI7IU
Does seem to be the case. I do like big tires, but just like low profiles more. But you do make a point, seems like the newer cars or exotics usually pull it off better.

I'll take a look at those links if my phone will actually allow me.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Here are some wheel options I'm considering from one site other than the OE wheels I like.

What do you guys think? They are all 18's. I didn't see what width they offered or anything. Just want some thoughts on these designs.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a fan of the last one, but the first two look okay. It's hard to really tell unless you can see them on the car. Can't really go wrong with a 5 spoke design.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd definitely stay away from polished wheels. I'm getting rid of mine in teh next few days, I finally decided to go 17s all around and in black so I don't have to work so hard to keep them shining all the time. Especially when I have a black car and that's hard enough work to keep clean as it is! I think 18s in the rear and 17s in the front is the biggest that looks right on these cars. But I think 17's all around is the most sensible for ride quality, handling, looks, etc. just my 2 cents
Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Not a fan of the last one, but the first two look okay. It's hard to really tell unless you can see them on the car. Can't really go wrong with a 5 spoke design.
I like the 2nd one a little bit more, but also like the first one because it's caved in. The last one was kinda just odd ball. The rest of the wheels either look the same or so ugly they make my current ones look great..
Some look like they belong on a ghetto caddi.. :lol

I do agree. A 5 spoke design is hard to beat with these cars. I honestly think the M310's that were posted earlier in this thread look sweet on the car imo. It's different. Only thing that is killing me now is budget..

Also saw another camaro ss locally with the same color on a truck bed at a dealership. Think he might've had 6 or even 7 spoke wheels. They were chrome. Car was really clean. Was going to take a picture lol. Wheels looked pretty good. Of course I saw them as they were driving by so didn't get a good look. Oh well.

But I have considered some C5DD's. But before you said the OE wheels didn't look good. So I searched other sites. But it seems like these wheels are used a lot. But, then again, not many camaro's around my area. But ones I have seem did have 5 spoke wheels. 67Rally posted some good options that I liked as well. Looking or any feedback!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
I'd definitely stay away from polished wheels. I'm getting rid of mine in teh next few days, I finally decided to go 17s all around and in black so I don't have to work so hard to keep them shining all the time. Especially when I have a black car and that's hard enough work to keep clean as it is! I think 18s in the rear and 17s in the front is the biggest that looks right on these cars. But I think 17's all around is the most sensible for ride quality, handling, looks, etc. just my 2 cents
Yeah seems like everyone agrees with staying away from them. I'm going with either a hyper silver or chrome finish. But good choice in finish for the wheels. Cant go wrong with a blacked out bird! I do have a soft spot for staggered wheels when it comes to size of the wheel. But idk if it would look good on mine. I'm going with 18's because it's the biggest I can get for the wheels I like without jumping to 20's. Can't find many 19's that I like and don't break the bank. 17's might be a tad bit to small for me considering the ground effects add a 1-2inch surface area. So I should compensate that with a 1 bigger wheel maybe to have a good balance. 17's do look fantastic as posted above from JD_AMG. But that's with a stock body. I just want to avoid my car looking so huge and my wheels look like training wheels . But maybe that won't be the case. If there is a member on this forum with ground effects and 17's that would be a great start for me.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a new wheel setup.