Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Opinions on a new wheel setup.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know. I'm getting the 18x10.5 from there, that's the only 18's they sell. They do sell the staggered 17x9.5. But I don't want staggered (tall). I even looked under the corvette section of oewheels. They still sell the same stuff. Other sites sell the wheel size I pictures above. Did find a better price on a site but only by like 10 bucks.

My only problem is I'm pretty sure they are built for the corvette offset. So will I need spacers and other stuff?

I did read some stickies, but still don't fully understand. I'll keep looking.

All I know is I need wheels asap. My fronts are almost like slicks now. No tred left. And I find it pointless to put new tires on then replace the whole wheel soon after.

I'll probably post another thread about c5 oem spec wheels on a 2000 camaro ss. I need to know what's needed if anything.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Call oewheels, their customer service is great. They aren't going to sell you something that won't fit and they will tell you ahead of time if you will need to modifying anything. I had 18x10.5 all the way around on my 97 camaro no problems no bfh no spacer. Just have to get the correct offset like previously stated
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
Call oewheels, their customer service is great. They aren't going to sell you something that won't fit and they will tell you ahead of time if you will need to modifying anything. I had 18x10.5 all the way around on my 97 camaro no problems no bfh no spacer. Just have to get the correct offset like previously stated
I suppose doesn't hurt to give them a call. But their site doesn't show them selling the 18x9.5's I want for the front only.

Were you lowered as well? I plan on doing so by at least a inch. Maybe might not have to if considering I'm going from a 20 inch wheel to a 18 inch. Might make the car a little lower. Idk yet.

As for the offset. I think C5Z oem offset was 57mm? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Considering I think ours are 38mm, I'll look at the sticky again, that might require a spacer for those oem spec C5Z wheels?

Last edited by Blazekillerace; 04-22-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wheels they list for the Corvette and the Camaro have the same backspacing and the same model number. There is no difference according to their website.

I'd pick up the phone and call them. I know no one actually calls any more, but it's worth a shot. You could even see if they have any of the 18x9.5's left over in the warehouse. If not, I've seen them listed on other sites but for a whole lot more.

If the 18x10.5's will fit, why not run them on all 4 corners?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you seen the VMR V710, they look almost the same as the M310. Those are little over $800 for a staggered set!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whiteheartbeat
Have you seen the VMR V710, they look almost the same as the M310. Those are little over $800 for a staggered set!
Those look almost, if not, identical to the 310's. I really can't see much of a difference.

BUT, the Avant Garde's are supposed to be a superior wheel to most replicas. In fact, just about everyone I've seen who run the Avant Garde's compare them to the quality of stock wheels. Lighter, stronger, and a better finish. It just comes down to budget....
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67rally
Those look almost, if not, identical to the 310's. I really can't see much of a difference.

BUT, the Avant Garde's are supposed to be a superior wheel to most replicas. In fact, just about everyone I've seen who run the Avant Garde's compare them to the quality of stock wheels. Lighter, stronger, and a better finish. It just comes down to budget....
VMR wheels are very popular in the BMW world so I'm sure they're pretty good
Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unhappy

VMR wheels are very popular in the BMW world so I'm sure they're pretty good
Cool, if they're comparable in weight and quality I might look for a set in black for my '67 as a track wheel.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Launching!

The wheels they list for the Corvette and the Camaro have the same backspacing and the same model number. There is no difference according to their website.

I'd pick up the phone and call them. I know no one actually calls any more, but it's worth a shot. You could even see if they have any of the 18x9.5's left over in the warehouse. If not, I've seen them listed on other sites but for a whole lot more.

If the 18x10.5's will fit, why not run them on all 4 corners?
I'll give them a call sometime. If I ever get time lol.

Reason why I don't want 10.5's on all 4's is because of a couple things. Tire price, and some people have told me a too big of a front tire could make a very uncomfortable ride on the street. I can't find a tire price under $205 for 295/35R18's. I'd figure that would be a decent size. My car came with 275, I don't think 285 would be a whole lot different. 285 does have some cheaper tires. Is it that much different from 295's?

Will 295's fit without bfh or fender rolling?

And quick question to anybody. Does a fender rolling roll the fender well or fender lip? I never used one so I was curious.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

Seems like a great price! So far as tires don't run me a **** ton like for the wheels I'm looking at. Lol I might consider these for future wheels, either for my camaro or my C3.

But as stated from 67Rally, there could be a difference in quality and weight? I'm not sure. Going to take a look for myself at some point. Lol
Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Launching!

What tire you think I should get for 18's? I was thinking 295/35R18, but then saw the prices.. I changed it to 295/45R18 and they were a lot cheaper. So I'm leaning towards 295/45R18's, but I feel like I'll lose the low profile look, like have so much sidewall rubber. I never bought tires for 18's so idk what looks best. Suggestions?

And if 10.5 will fit on all 4's without and mods or anything. I'll probably get those. That way I can rotate them as well. Finally have enough money so I'm ready to spend.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

To answer a few of your questions, a 295 is almost an inch wider than a 275. It's about half an inch wider than a 285.

The tire width is measured in mm. 275=275mm. 1"=25.4mm. A 255 is almost exactly 10" wide...

A 295/45 will be over 2" taller than a 295/35. That's more than 1" of sidewall on either side of the rim. That's a tall tire.

Something to consider is that you can run a narrower tie up front if you want on the 10.5. Nothing says you have to run the same size in the front and rear. But, if you do run the same size on all 4 corners, you can rotate them.

Each tire manufacturer is different. You need to check with the manufacturer to see what width wheel they recommend for each tire. There usually a range. i.e. a tire company might recommend a 295/35/18 go on 9.5-(10.0)-11.0 wide wheel. Anything from 9.5-11.0" will work and a 10.0" is ideal according to that company.

***IMPORTANT***

Don't skimp on tires. They are one of the most important factors in your cars performance. They directly effect acceleration, braking and handling. Saving $10-$20 on a cheaper tire may have a noticeable effect.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Launching!

To answer a few of your questions, a 295 is almost an inch wider than a 275. It's about half an inch wider than a 285.

The tire width is measured in mm. 275=275mm. 1"=25.4mm. A 255 is almost exactly 10" wide...

A 295/45 will be over 2" taller than a 295/35. That's more than 1" of sidewall on either side of the rim. That's a tall tire.

Something to consider is that you can run a narrower tie up front if you want on the 10.5. Nothing says you have to run the same size in the front and rear. But, if you do run the same size on all 4 corners, you can rotate them.

Each tire manufacturer is different. You need to check with the manufacturer to see what width wheel they recommend for each tire. There usually a range. i.e. a tire company might recommend a 295/35/18 go on 9.5-(10.0)-11.0 wide wheel. Anything from 9.5-11.0" will work and a 10.0" is ideal according to that company.

***IMPORTANT***

Don't skimp on tires. They are one of the most important factors in your cars performance. They directly effect acceleration, braking and handling. Saving $10-$20 on a cheaper tire may have a noticeable effect.
What would the performance gain be from 285 - 295? because there is a huge price difference. If I wont be able to feel the difference I might just go with 285. It's better than 245's right?

Anyway, after I posted I decided to do some more research as I waited for a response. I did find a thread on here of someone wanting to put on 295/45R18's. Everyone said it's a 27.3in tall wheel compared to the 25in of the 35% profile, which they said which would more than likely require fender rolling. But yes it looked like a tall tire. So I changed my mind about that.

But I would like to rotate because I would be able to wait a little longer for tires by just swapping them. It's just that 295's are crazy expensive for me. Idk if I could afford buying new tires every 5 months or so. I might just run 285's for now considering I don't drag race or anything.

But how can you tell what is a better tire? Like for instance Nitto, for 295/35R18's they have one that is $233 (Nitto Invo), and another one is $234 (Nitto NT05). Is there something I should look for to tell a performance difference. Only difference I see is the UTQG, the Invo has a 260AA while the other has a 200AA. The NT05 picture seems as if the tire has more surface area for traction than the other one. Which is why I'm assuming the tread grade is lower than the first. But I want something that has some performance (Not the best), but can last a decent while. I'd figure the first option is a decent performer as well, better than my 160 dollar 245's I have on now. I just hope it really does make a big difference. Idk if I'm "Skimping", I'm sure the performance is night and day but with a 60 point tread increase of a dollar difference I think would be a good investment for my current situation. I could save me in the long run by not having to buy new ones for while longer.

Also would like to say thanks for all your input 67Rally, it is much appreicated. Sorry if you had to put up with a lot of my noob responses. lol
Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
What would the performance gain be from 285 - 295? because there is a huge price difference. If I wont be able to feel the difference I might just go with 285. It's better than 245's right?

Anyway, after I posted I decided to do some more research as I waited for a response. I did find a thread on here of someone wanting to put on 295/45R18's. Everyone said it's a 27.3in tall wheel compared to the 25in of the 35% profile, which they said which would more than likely require fender rolling. But yes it looked like a tall tire. So I changed my mind about that.

But I would like to rotate because I would be able to wait a little longer for tires by just swapping them. It's just that 295's are crazy expensive for me. Idk if I could afford buying new tires every 5 months or so. I might just run 285's for now considering I don't drag race or anything.

But how can you tell what is a better tire? Like for instance Nitto, for 295/35R18's they have one that is $233 (Nitto Invo), and another one is $234 (Nitto NT05). Is there something I should look for to tell a performance difference. Only difference I see is the UTQG, the Invo has a 260AA while the other has a 200AA. The NT05 picture seems as if the tire has more surface area for traction than the other one. Which is why I'm assuming the tread grade is lower than the first. But I want something that has some performance (Not the best), but can last a decent while. I'd figure the first option is a decent performer as well, better than my 160 dollar 245's I have on now. I just hope it really does make a big difference. Idk if I'm "Skimping", I'm sure the performance is night and day but with a 60 point tread increase of a dollar difference I think would be a good investment for my current situation. I could save me in the long run by not having to buy new ones for while longer.

Also would like to say thanks for all your input 67Rally, it is much appreicated. Sorry if you had to put up with a lot of my noob responses. lol
You won't notice much, if any difference between a 285 and a 295 on the street if both have the same sidewall (283/35/18 vs 295/35/18). But you might notice a difference between a 285/35/18 vs a 295/45/18.

A 295/45/18 is 28.5" tall, a 295/40/18 is 27.3" tall, and a 295/35/18 is 26.1" tall.

Read this regarding treadwear/tire rating: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

But any AA tire will perform well. A 200 wear tire will last twice as long as a 100. And a 300 will last 3 times as long as a 100.

Go to the Nitto website and research the tires. I run Nitto NT255's on the street. My next set will probably be the NT05's. Mine's not a daily driver, so treadwear isn't a concern. Their site will tell you how each tire does in the dry, wet, road noise, etc.

Last edited by 67rally; 04-27-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Launching!

You won't notice much, if any difference between a 285 and a 295 on the street if both have the same sidewall (283/35/18 vs 295/35/18). But you might notice a difference between a 285/35/18 vs a 295/45/18.

A 295/45/18 is 28.5" tall, a 295/40/18 is 27.3" tall, and a 295/35/18 is 26.1" tall.

Read this regarding treadwear/tire rating: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

But any AA tire will perform well. A 200 wear tire will last twice as long as a 100. And a 300 will last 3 times as long as a 100.

Go to the Nitto website and research the tires. I run Nitto NT255's on the street. My next set will probably be the NT05's. Mine's not a daily driver, so treadwear isn't a concern. Their site will tell you how each tire does in the dry, wet, road noise, etc.
Thanks for the link. Learned quite a bit from it. I wanted to go with 285/35r18 front and 295/35r18 rear. Now I came acrossed another problem. I recently continued to read the sticky on wheels and tires. Our forum under the Z06 Replica section, says anything more than +53 offset for the rear WILL need BFH. But yet a lot of people say they just bolt in just fine with no problems? I also looked at other threads about running 10.5's on all fours. It's mixed results . Some said a 1/8th spacer is needed. Some people claim "well I have 18x10.5's on all fours with 305's with no problems at all." So I have no idea what to believe at this point. Some said they even had rubbing with 9.5 wheels. So now I'm a little skeptical. There is all kinds of different answers. So like I said I took the time to look at the stickies and found that it wont. Copied and pasted it here:

--18"x10.5" +50 to +53 mm. Higher than 53 mm will require the BFH mod. 285/35R18s thru 315/30R18. Over 295 may require rolling the fenderlip and will need the BFH. +58 mm is the typical available offset for the Z06 replica, which will require a little BFH and/or a small spacer.--

The C5Z06's are +58 Offset. So I might have to throw this option out the window. I just don't want to buy wheels and find out that they won't fit without a bunch of mods.

But I am liking the VMR V710's. If I can find a good price I might hop on those. But I have no idea what offset I need for them to fit perfectly on the front and back.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the safest offset for any width wheel is between 50-53mm. That will center your wheel between the inner well and the fender. The lower the number, the further it will stick out. The higher the number, the deeper it will sit.

If it sits too deep, you can always run a small spacer (or do the BFH). If it sits too far out, you'll have to roll the fender.

If you run a 9.5" rim, you have an extra 1/2" (12-13mm) of room on either side of the wheel to play with, so you could get away with on offset further from that ideal 50-53mm. Also, a narrower tire (275 vs 295) will buy you some extra room.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I agree. That's what I read. I posted a new thread hoping some people will pitch in. The problem is I can't find any cheap wheel that is 18x9.5, other than those $200+ ones. which if I'm going to spend that it might as well be the M310's or the VMR's.

I'm thinking of just buying 2 of those 18x9.5 for the front and running a 275/35R18 on them. On our forums seems to say that +56 offset will fit a 275 and at the max 285. Those wheels are +57 offset. Will that +1 make a huge difference? I was thinking of using 275 on the +57 offset, figured it would be close to having a +56 offset wheel with 285? I'd figure it would work.

But still have the rear end to worry about. I took a look at spacers and they are quite expensive. Plus, Idk which spacer is a good quality spacer. I did read some horror stories of spacers. I just need to find out what spacer I will need. And hope it wont run me accouple hundred bucks..
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

1mm is tiny. It's 1/25". If you run a 275 instead of a 285, it should fit fine.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Okay good. So I'll get those. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. Will the spindle be a problem possibly?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Well guys, I haven't had any luck with wheels. At this rate I might be stuck with these hideous 20's.. Every OE Wheel I looked at spec wise will not be able to fit without mods, even though there site doesn't state anything about having to mod. It's clear you'd have to.. For instance I took at a look at C6Z wheels. The offset is +68! I'm sure that will require a spacer. I did consider using a adapter for a C6Z wheel considering how high the offset is. Maybe going with a 1 inch Adapter? Idk if I'd have to replace the stock studs, I'd figure I wouldn't have to.

Anyway I might have to stick to small wheels. Or maybe fine some extremely cheap stock wheels, but even those go for 200 a wheel. I'm all out of ideas at this point.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a new wheel setup.