Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polishing not going well. Cloudy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
If your doing aluminum and really want to get the mirror shine, use jewelers rouge.
BS right there^^^, more regurgitated internet crap.

I can use White Diamond on a powerball and make aluminum look like chrome.

Example

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You did strip the clear coat off those wheels first, right? Because if you didn't, metal polish isn't going to do anything at all. Does the polish turn black after a few seconds of scrubbing? If not, then there is clear coat on the wheels.

Edit, I can't read obviously because you said it is turning black. Not sure what else you can try doing. I had great luck with the Adams 1 and 2 metal polish.

You can polish clear coat wheel just like you do paint on the car.

Wheel polish does work on clear coat wheels but Products like Meguiars M105/M205 work better.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the wheels are clear coated, using a metal polish will end up working no better than spraying and wiping with windex. If the clear.coat is cloudy, nothing is going to fix that short of stripping it and re-appling it. The wheels will only look as shiny as the clear coat will allow.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
If the wheels are clear coated, using a metal polish will end up working no better than spraying and wiping with windex. If the clear.coat is cloudy, nothing is going to fix that short of stripping it and re-appling it. The wheels will only look as shiny as the clear coat will allow.
I have gotten MANY clear coat wheels to shine again that had the clear fogged up by using acid based cleaners.

Like I said, if there is enough clear on the wheels, just like car paint they will come back with products like M105 and M205 and a power ball.

Think whatever ya want, I've done it.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

I have gotten MANY clear coat wheels to shine again that had the clear fogged up by using acid based cleaners.

Like I said, if there is enough clear on the wheels, just like car paint they will come back with products like M105 and M205 and a power ball.

Think whatever ya want, I've done it.
I'm not doubting you at all. If you can remove the layer that has the blemishes/defects, then you are good to go. In most cases, I just think it's best to strip the clear and go all polished. Yeah, it's more work, but a well polished, well kept polished wheel looks better to me.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

The OP said the polish turns black. I had originally said the same thing about them being clear coated but then re read his post where he said that.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
BS right there^^^, more regurgitated internet crap.
No, not really, As a final step if you polish it right rough really adds another level of shine. Just using it is not going to work. Polishing aluminum to a really nice finish is a multi step process that takes time and effort. Just like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put in it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

No, not really, As a final step if you polish it right rough really adds another level of shine. Just using it is not going to work. Polishing aluminum to a really nice finish is a multi step process that takes time and effort. Just like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put in it.
I disagree, but you keep on using the old school stuff.

I will use the new school stuff and make wheels look like what I posted above.

These wheels were really bad, this pic is after a very good cleaning.

Wet sand with 2000 paper

Small Powerball, drill and White Diamond polish. Took about 4-5 hours start to finish for all the wheels to be completed.

Finished product.

Before on the right, after on the left.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-11-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

I'll give the White diamond a try with the powerball and with a microfiber towel and see what happens.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my experience, I got better results rubbing by hand with a microfiber than with the powerball.

Best results were with a cotton buffing wheel on a corded drill.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this is good info. i have never heard of white diamond polish. its not even expensive and looks to do a godo job. ive never used a pwoerball before. ive always hand polished.

one of my ws6 wheels has bad water spot stains
Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would be willing to bet White Diamond is jewelers rouge dissolved in mineral spirits or something similar. A lot of polishes are made this way and they work extremely well.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Launching!

After using the Powerball, try using some Blue Magic or equivalent by hand. ...The trick I learned is to use nitrile gloves to apply and polish, then use your microfiber towel to buff, I've had excellent results doing this.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. To some it might not be noticed, but those buffing wheels with different grade compounds really produce an amazing shine on polished aluminum when in the right hands.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Used white diamond with microfiber cloths and it still turns cloudy. About ready to just powder coat these bastards.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

A certain amount of "cloudyness" will be there when doing aluminum unless you can get enough heat in the material to melt that surface layer down. Even then, any unevenness in the process will still result in waves of cloudy appearance areas. Most people assume that the cloudy appearance is normal, it will still be quite reflective and shiny unless you inspect it very closely and this passes for polishing anyway. Comes down to how perfect it has to be to make you happy.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I would venture to bet the wheels are not stripped.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

I used 3 different types of stripper that people have had success with to be the clear is off. I have wet sanded a part of one of the wheels and it still appears cloudy after polishing.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
I used 3 different types of stripper that people have had success with to be the clear is off. I have wet sanded a part of one of the wheels and it still appears cloudy after polishing.
Put some Meguiars M105 car paint compound on the cloudy spot, bet it comes clear.

Quick Reply: Polishing not going well. Cloudy.