Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can Aluminum Rims Warp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Aluminum Rims Warp?

Can Alloy aluminum rims warp or bend?

The reason I ask, 97 camaro shakes really bad 65 mph or above, tires are nearly new and balanced. I jacked the rear wheels off the ground, engine running in gear and watched the wheel spin. Looked smooth until around 65 and the wheel shakes violently, not just a shake but a side ways wobble. Not just one wheel but both rear wheels. Yet at lower speeds it looks and feels smooth. I took the wheel off the car and put on the spare tire (steel rim) did the same test and smooth as can be all speeds.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they can bend. I see these rims bent where I work at least 2-3 times a week.

Try raising the back end and manually spin the tires looking at both inner/outer rim lips carefully as well as watch the center tread on the tire for side to side motion to locate a bend. Check tires for cupping or even worse separation. Generally a bend in the rim will be noticed between 20-50mph and damage in tire will be noticed below 20mph.

Over 50mph with bad shake is most commonly caused by wheel balance. I would have the wheel balance checked again. Although, transmission or drive lines can cause this, but the tires should be the first thing to have checked. They can also check for bends in the rim while balancing.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth....

Bent rims will "wobble" not matter what the speed is, although balance might change it's oscillation as speed changes.

Quick Reply: Can Aluminum Rims Warp?