Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

1" wheel spacers - now tire rubs fender over major bumps...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 1" wheel spacers - now tire rubs fender over major bumps...

2002 Firebird, all stock suspension wise.
good morning. this past weekend i installed hub-centric wheel spacers on the rear wheels. Wife and I went cruising Saturday with no issues. Sunday, we went for another ride and this time we had my daughter in the back (100lbs - maybe a tad more) Going around 1 corner we heard the tire rub something. went over railroad tracks and we heard it again.

the tires I am running are nothing major they are Falken Ziex ZE912 P235/50zr17

while installing the spacers, i noticed my bumper stops were gone. they were there last year. will re-installing this fix my issue? I also believe I have the original shocks on them. will replacing them help? original tire size was 16" and they are now 17" rims. so, when i add the bumper stops, i will need the spacer too??

i don't want to roll the fender - to me that's not an option. I can always take the spacers off, but the wife and I like the look and would like to keep it if possible.

i should add that the outer edge of tire is flush with outer edge of fender. here is a pic - its the best i have right now. can get more tonight if needed:

Last edited by bleepster; 04-13-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the tire is flush with the outside fender, and you have no bumpstops the tire will rub on full compression (stock size wheels/tires will tuck under the fender when fully compressed with no bumpstop, or the axle will hit the exhaust if the exhaust is big enough).
Put on some stock bumpstops and report back.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

thanks i will get some and install asap.
will i need a spacer since i have bigger than stock tire?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Getting rid of the spacer isn't an option. These cars need that rear wheel pushed out! How bad is the contact with the tire? Is it just slicing the sidewall, or is it coming down on top of the tire itself?

Bump stops should help if you don't have any. If it was me I'd roll the lip, but I know you don't want to so start with the bump stops and see if it helps.

If its just slicing the sidewall a hair you could get .75" spacers instead of the full 1".
Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

i don't notice any slicing - i think i saw scuff marks right where the sidewall meets the top of the tire - if that makes sense.

planning on ordering bump stops Friday and while I am at it - replacing rear shocks

i'll post more as i get more done to the car

thanks for the tips, advice
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very likely your bump stops...I just put 1" adapters on mine too. Had a passEnger and a passenger in the rear seat. Kept rubbing on passenger side. Pulled tires and the drivers side was ok, passenger side bump stop was totally rotted away. I put some poly stops on and on large bumps it seems to hit the stops hard. No more rubbing though. Do yourself a favor and either buy new stops or used (used 3rd gen last).

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

yeah, i got new bump stops with spacers, new bilstiens. this is my weekend project.

Quick Reply: 1" wheel spacers - now tire rubs fender over major bumps...