Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Finally installed Zr1's on my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Finally installed Zr1's on my Camaro

Got a set of used chrome zr1's from a member here; 17x11 (50 mm) and 17x9.5. Spend a bunch of time researching tires as this is my daily driver and I do not want summer-only tires. I decided on Nitto Motivo 315/35-17's and Cooper zeon rs3-a 275/40-17. Got the tires mounted and road force balanced at local chevy dealership (wanted to ensure that staff had experience with corvette wheels and tires) for $20 each (that was the least expensive of all the places I went to) - Kudo's to Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring, MD. I've recently installed Strano springs, Koni Str.t's and UMI solid sway bars (the stock front bar actually broke, so I decided to upgrade them both).

One of the things I had read was that Nitto tires ran narrow and that the 315/35's would look stretched on the 11" wheels. The Motivo's are actually wider than the Summitomo's that were replaced. Here's a couple of photo's.

I decided to remove, temporarily, the bump stops and ground down the bumpstop mount so that the fully unloaded rear would not touch them. I also rolled the fenders using a hammer and dolly (loaded the dolly with duct tape to prevent scratches). The paint on the actual lip that I hammered on chipped, but no problems anywhere else. Just sanded the now vertical lip and through some paint on. I found that the rear tires hit the inner wheel well in the lower front portion - it kind of juts out a bit. A bunch of smacks with a 5 lb sledge followed by some paint took care of that. I haven't really tested the tires out other than normal driving to ensure that I have the issues worked out.

In looking at the alternatives people have shown for the bumpstops, I'm considering actually mounting them to the flat part of the axle and point them upwards towards the inner fender well, by welding threaded rod to that location and bolting them on. In all my years driving the car I don't believe I've ever bottomed out on the bumpstops with my stock springs and decarbon shocks, so I'm not that concerned about that, but do want to be safer than not having them on at all. So, I'm pretty satisfied with this modification.

Last but not least, I have an on-car adjustable pandhard bar still to be installed.

Last edited by xny1989; 04-18-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added stuff

Quick Reply: Finally installed Zr1's on my Camaro