Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Just put a set of these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....150419001017:s UGG I hate these tires! Steering feels heavy with no feedback and they are terribly noisy! They follow every groove in the road so the car is all over the place! WTF?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I had these on mine for a while, in a 275/285 combo, and was very happy with them other than noticing a bit more road vibration vs. the BFGs that I usually ran. To be fair, they were on a different set of wheels so wheel balance may have been an issue there.

Otherwise, they were great tires until temps got down below about 40-45°F or so, and then they'd spin like I was on ice.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Driving above 55 they aren't bad but at lower speeds the vibration felt throughout the car is just nasty. At about 35 mph it feels like I'm driving a old 55 chevy pickup truck Its not a balance issue, it seems you can feel the thread as it rolls down the road? Constant brrrrrrrrmmmmm, you can feel it in the steering wheel and the seat. I'm gonna toss um and put the old Nexen 7000 's back on, those tires are perfect and only cost 100 bucks a piece!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Just put a set of these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....150419001017:s UGG I hate these tires! Steering feels heavy with no feedback and they are terribly noisy! They follow every groove in the road so the car is all over the place! WTF?
Any particular reason you went with those? At $1100 per set they certainly aren't cheap. The current Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 have a very different tread pattern than the ones on the original style F1 from '98-'02. This current F1 GS-D3 "arrow" pattern is quite similar to the Sumitomo HTRZ 2....and those are very strong arrow patterns. It seems to be a love/hate affair with the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Their ratings on Tire Rack are pretty marginal, especially for a fairly expensive tire. But, enough people apparently love them to keep making them. Might be a great tire running on smooth tracks. If lower speed noise is an issue with the GS-D3....it probably also is for the HTRZ 2. Those strong "arrow" style treads are in interesting as there are no "blocks"....just symmetrically angled grooves. The old F1's had 5 blocks - 5 circular water channels....something you don't see much of anymore on these higher performance tires. They did have a subtle directional arrow pattern too. Those were plenty quiet for me. The Continental DW is the only one I see on Tire Rack with that 5 water channel design....though it doesn't have the slightly "arrowed" tread design of the original F1's. The couple of times I took my car out for extended highway trips on the original F1's, I did notice the tendency to be pulled by road grooves. That must be a function of the "arrowed" tread designs. I don't have that in my current BFG comp 2's. Though if I squint, I can something similar to 5 blocks and 5 channels.

Rather than "toss um" why not offer them up for sale? Someone should be interested. If you just bought them new via a tire store they often allow 100% exchanges towards another set of tires. If they're from Tire Rack don't know what their policy is. When I just did tires for my car I got the best prices from local dealers and on-line stores. Took that best price to Town Fair Tire which advertises to beat any legitimate price. And they do have a 30 day exchange policy if you don't like them. As I see it, the bigger tire stores should be able to match the on-line sellers and give you some type of reasonable exchange/warranty if the tires just aren't right for your car.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-19-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

They were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago. I put other tires on because it was winter time so I really didn't notice how well they worked. They are about 50% thread so its not worth shipping them to anyone. Just too much trouble lugging them around to have them changed. I was going to run them till fall. I tried selling them before on CL but only had 1 call and the guy was pain in azz.

I've never quite experienced anything like this with car tires, they are LOUD that is the only way to describe them. They also rubble at low speed depending on the road surface to the point of distracting you. I have a Flowmaster exhaust, you can not hear the exhaust over the tires. The tires are louder, how can this be? I'm still like WTH?

I think part of the shock is the Nexen tires were perfect, Car handled great and no tire noise at all. No pulling to every little groove, there is a stretch of highway near here that was repaved with small grooves. The Goodyears walk all over that highway and you can't predict it. You can't believe how bad it handles doing a lane change, It actually goes out of control completely as you come over the line in the road then comes back until the other tire rolls across then it does it again. You lose all feeling of control and kind of panic trying to feel how to stop the car from veering back into the lane you were in. I'm not exaggerating.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-19-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't let one PITA guy on CL slow you down. You could try posting them on this set in the parts for sale section, or on ebay. They are expensive tires. There should be an interest, even at 20-35% of new....assuming they aren't more than 6-8 years old now and show no signs of cracking.

Suprisingly, I don't see many references to them being overly noisy, though enough do mention it, especially after the tires have from 3,000-10,000 miles on them (your 50% tread left is at that range). Some comments on cupping for tires that were off the car for a while. Many compliments on superb wet traction. A numer of comments on the "pulling" when following road grooves. It is mentioned that sometimes they might be hard to balance. In that case, the tires will never sound smooth. Generally, decent reviews though....but enough lousy ones to give you some caution...especially for the price. One thing I've gotten from reading hundreds of reviews on different tires is that there will always be those where they don't feel or sound right.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...agle+F1+GS-D3#

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-20-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're looking for a new tire, try sumitomo, cheap with good reviews and low road noise. I'm going to order some soon
Old 04-19-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

The shop that put them on had a hell of a time balancing them using the latest hunter road force balancer. They just wouldn't come up zero no matter how many times they tried. But they don't vibrate at high speed, it lower speeds they feel bad.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tire Rack professional driver survey comparisons. Not many choices for a smooth ride in the UHP category. Need to go up to Max Performance category for more choices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=UHP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-19-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed Nitto Motivo all season tires on 17x11 rims. Haven't had much road time on them, maybe 20 miles. I put cooper zeon rs3-a on front 17x9.5.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I had these back in the day on an old set of wheels and I don't remember having any issues. I didn't daily drive it though just on weekends
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

I believe that these are LONG GONE, and no longer made by Goodyear.

Check the actual build dates on these, since they could be VERY old, and that would cause them to harden, and possibly give more road noise/vibrations, as well as MUCH less traction than a fresh, newer build date tire.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Check the actual build dates on these, since they could be VERY old, and that would cause them to harden, and possibly give more road noise/vibrations, as well as MUCH less traction than a fresh, newer build date tire.
I was driving my 16 year old - 15K mile - Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires up to last year. They were not hard, they had no cracks, they rode smooth with little noise, and handled fine.....essentially as good as my brand new BFG Comp 2's. But, I realize that typically after about 10,000+ miles these performance summer tires tend to get noiser and handle worse. The F1 GS tires from '98-'02 look nothing like the current F1 GS-D3. From the Tire Rack customer surveys, the GS-D3 have been around since 2003-2004 with some drivers getting up to 70,000 miles on them! But I find it difficult to believe that the tread pattern on these tires today is identical to what was on them 10-12 years ago.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-20-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't get a chance to check the build date but I'm sure they are under 3 years old. Lane changes on a highway with these tires are no joke, seriously dangerous.

They are also INSANLY LOUD, I can not hear the exhaust and to listen to the radio you need to crank it up good.

On a separate note the installer damaged the rim edges with the tire machine..........all 4 rims now have a 2 6 inch long gashes on the face of the edges. I took it back to show him and he said "don't worry I'll take care of you" <what ever that means but he is my regular place for inspections etc so maybe he'll discount something next time. He was nice about and acknowledged his machine did it. Told me the part that runs along the rim broke today when he tried to use it. Eff it the car is almost 15 years old.

I should have tossed these dam tires in the 1st place but its my wifes car and she loves the way the tires look. They were a sob to get off and on the rims both times.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

You guys seem to be blowing things out of proportion, I ran the gsd3 275/40-17 on all four for years, yes it did track a little bit but it will with any front tire over 10" wide. Didn't notice noise, exhaust and radio beat that. Pricey yes, but performance, especially in the wet(pouring rain) is great!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

and realistically i would say none of our driving styles make tires last, if you don't like them, I'm sure you'll wear them out fast anyways!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver

The F1 GS-D3 can still be bought brand new as fresh inventory, and has used the same tread pattern since the mid-'00s. Their price has just about doubled since they were introduced, and sometimes they go on backorder for pretty long periods, but they are not discontinued by any means (unless that has happened in the last few months).

As mentioned above, you might be confusing these with the OE tires issued on WS6/SS cars, which were the older F1 GS (not D3) with a very different tread pattern. These were in fact discontinued many years ago, and were a vastly inferior summer performance tire as compared to the D3. The only upside to the older F1 GS was better cold weather performance, but at the expense of premium summer traction.

EDIT:

It just occurred to me that you might be referring to the 245/50/16 size having been discontinued in the GS-D3s. I do believe that happened a few years back, so you would be correct. However the 275/40/17 and 285/40/17 sizes are still in recent production.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-22-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

These tires do ROCK in the rain. I drove it yesterday in heavy rain, you wouldn't know the road was wet they grip that well.

I looked at the tires closely and it seems the out side edges of all the tires have a odd cupping to them. Bet that's the noise I'm hearing, I have them@33psi I'm going to put 36 in and see if it helps the noise.

I also notice these tires allow you drive the car to its limits. Where the Nexen n7000's that were on are quiet and well behaving they don't have raw edge these do.

I pulled away from a stop light HARD in the rain down into 2 sweeper turns without any sliding or spinning, pretty amazing. Well over the posted 55 speed limit.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-21-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I pumped them up to 35psi and it helped the pulling problem a bunch. Now its just annoying to drive lmao
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The F1 GS-D3 can still be bought brand new as fresh inventory, and has used the same tread pattern since the mid-'00s. Their price has just about doubled since they were introduced, and sometimes they go on backorder for pretty long periods, but they are not discontinued by any means (unless that has happened in the last few months).

As mentioned above, you might be confusing these with the OE tires issued on WS6/SS cars, which were the older F1 GS (not D3) with a very different tread pattern. These were in fact discontinued many years ago, and were a vastly inferior summer performance tire as compared to the D3. The only upside to the older F1 GS was better cold weather performance, but at the expense of premium summer traction.

EDIT:

It just occurred to me that you might be referring to the 245/50/16 size having been discontinued in the GS-D3s. I do believe that happened a few years back, so you would be correct. However the 275/40/17 and 285/40/17 sizes are still in recent production.

I AM speaking of the D3s, and YES, I know that the non-SS/WS6 OEM, 245/50-16 size has been gone for about 6-7 years now, as I was looking to get some of them about that long ago.
IF I stick with this size wheel/tire (16x8/255/50-16), I may even go to a set of the 100 tread wear, semi-R compound road race/autocross donuts for my next summer only set (Toyo R888/RA-1, Nitto NT-01).

I thought that the 275 and 285/40-17s were also long gone, but I guess I was wrong.

Quick Reply: GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3