Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Crusty FM5 resto

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crusty FM5 resto

Well, I finally stepped into the baller wheels gang. I scored a set of 17x9.5 and 17x11 FM5 that need some work and have ~30% tread left on Nitto NT05's. The inner barrels are pretty crusty looking, but look like with some heavy cleaning and polishing they will shine new. No curb rash is a plus.. The techni-polish on the centers is peeling and etched looking on all 4. I'm going to clean these up as best I can for now and throw them on, get them fitting good in the rear then eventually I will get new tired pull them all apart and refinish. I'm not sure if I can just strip the clear on the centers and have them re-cleared, or if I should strip the clear, do a brushed finish and then have them professionally powdercoated clear. I don't want to polish the centers, or powdercoat them a different color. So, well see. I was going to use this stuff called alumabrite on the inner barrels to clean all the brake dust and crap off them, then thoroughly clean it off and polish? I know acid on these is kind of a bad idea, but I was thinking it would be good to get me to a polishing point quickly. Not sure how else I can clean them up if you guys have any advice. Anyways, here are some pics. I can't wait to get them on hehe:

Crusty FM5 resto-22cn6exl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-7wx1hgml.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-qfclrp8l.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-yesdrtvl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-qqbjyzel.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-rp9z5b7l.jpg
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Crusty FM5 resto

I would strip them with aircraft cleaner, sand them down good, polish them up with a good metal polish, and then clear them if that's what you want to do.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, what are you guys running for lug nuts on wheels like this? The guy I bought them off of suggested a 17mm nut on them because of the smaller bore size. I'm thinking I should get something locking.. lol
Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd coat the inner barrels silver instead of trying to clean and polish.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

have you thought about sending them in to get polished
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

You could also use a product called Flitz, which will remove the oxidation and all that stuff on the inner barrels. With the Flitz, you spray it on, let it sit for a while, and then wipe and rinse it off. It's some really good stuff and really helped clean up my old CCW wheels. You can only use it in bare aluminum, so you'd have to strip off the clear-coat first, but it's a good product.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

nice score! glad you were able to find a set of fm5's, they look like they will clean up nicely. wish i could help out on the polishing, but i am new to the whole having nice wheels thing so i am still trying to figure it out myself lol. you planning on keeping those tires until their worn out?
Old 05-14-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
nice score! glad you were able to find a set of fm5's, they look like they will clean up nicely. wish i could help out on the polishing, but i am new to the whole having nice wheels thing so i am still trying to figure it out myself lol. you planning on keeping those tires until their worn out?
Thanks man. I will drive on the tires until i get everything fitted properly then probably sell them for cheap and buy new ones.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

making some progress, wire wheeled and scotch brited the inner barrels today to removed the caked on brake dust and grime, decided not to use the alumabright acid stuff after i polished part of the rim and it shined like new (didnt want to etch the surface)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Fiske that need refinishing also, I bought the aluminum aircraft stripper and tried it on the center caps. It didn't do a thing. I ended up using a dremel and sanding ball to grind the crap off. I wouldn't want to try that on the centers. The barrels I was able to polish up nicely. I had practise on another set of wheels using the various grades of polishing sticks.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
I have a set of Fiske that need refinishing also, I bought the aluminum aircraft stripper and tried it on the center caps. It didn't do a thing. I ended up using a dremel and sanding ball to grind the crap off. I wouldn't want to try that on the centers. The barrels I was able to polish up nicely. I had practise on another set of wheels using the various grades of polishing sticks.
Nice, got pics? I think for now I am just going to clean and wax the centers while I brain storm an approach for phase II. I'm afraid during the process of striping the technipolish the cnc machining patterns will be compromised. If so I think I will just do a brushed finish then send them out for clear powder coat.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

pic of the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Crusty FM5 resto-img_4071.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

First one looked blury
Attached Thumbnails Crusty FM5 resto-img_4066.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I was going to get ambitious I'd pull the wheels apart and get the centres professionally stripped, polish the barrels myself and if the stripping hasn't hurt the condition of the centres then just have them clearcoated.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
If I was going to get ambitious I'd pull the wheels apart and get the centres professionally stripped, polish the barrels myself and if the stripping hasn't hurt the condition of the centres then just have them clearcoated.
Yeah that's what I plan on doing. For now, they cleaned up very well. I'm happy until I get new tires then I'll take them apart and do a full resto. For now time to enjoy them for a bit. With some quick polishing they look awesome. Got them on the car, completely changed the look. Rear bump stops clear but I sliced the tires with the fenders, gotta have them rolled this week. Here are a few pics:

wire wheel to the inner barrels
Crusty FM5 resto-5lrhtmpl.jpg

my little outdoor workshop for projects like this
Crusty FM5 resto-3jqzwlkl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-kg1ufrel.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-6nwq9yxl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-kk8bgkkl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-ql2g2wtl.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-vkhp8zgl.jpg
Old 05-18-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those rears stick out way too much.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

they look awesome!

Originally Posted by Guitar
i think that is just the angle of the camera, the pic at the gas station they look fine
Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Guitar
A little hard to tell from the pics, but it does look like they stick out too far. Can you post up an *** shot?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think its the angle. Here are a few better shots. They do stick out more than I was expecting, but from the top they are perfectly flush. You can click on them for full res and zoom..

Crusty FM5 resto-crvzrmel.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-fqg8qlal.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-08j5ybel.jpg

Crusty FM5 resto-tpcxmddl.jpg

Last edited by KLaBZ28; 05-18-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea. I was a little disappointed, they stick out farther then I hoped. I think the offset could have been brought in by an 1/4 inch. I had to roll my fender sliced the crap out of brand new tire and had to replace it. I may go to a 295 tire when I burn these off and see how they look.

Quick Reply: Crusty FM5 resto