Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All NT05r users step in-considering the switch from Mickeys

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default All NT05r users step in-considering the switch from Mickeys

Main question-are any of you having issues with the tire "feathering?". I am running 275/40/17 Mickey T Dr's and I am constantly having issues with the tire feathering up on the street. Doing a burnout cleans them up but only temporarilly. When they feather traction from a dig or roll is significantly reduced.

I know zbrown is having good luck with the N555's but beign a 6 speed and having a higher gear ratio, I need every ounce of traction I can muster! I would like to try the NT05r's but if they have the same issue as the mickeys I will have to rethink my strategy.

If you are unfamiliar with the issue- see below.

Last edited by coltboostin; 12-06-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had an issue from my nto5r on my turbo Camaro nor my friend on his 10sec 5.0. I switched from an et street radial to the nt05r on my 17s but since they don't offer a 15 I had to go back to the et street radial when I went to a 275/60.. With my current zo6 it will be getting nto5r for sure.

This is for street and strip.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Regardless of this feathering issue I constantly hear that the MT will stick better than the NTO5R
Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 351 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Regardless of this feathering issue I constantly hear that the MT will stick better than the NTO5R
True story, I went from nt05r to Mt et streets and the traction comparison is not even close, tho the nt05r is a very nice all around radial, it really can't shake a stick at et streets as far as hooking.
That being said I have not had the feathering issue when I ran the Nt05r nor do I have that issue with my Mt et streets
Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
True story, I went from nt05r to Mt et streets and the traction comparison is not even close, tho the nt05r is a very nice all around radial, it really can't shake a stick at et streets as far as hooking.
That being said I have not had the feathering issue when I ran the Nt05r nor do I have that issue with my Mt et streets
Yep this is what I hear 99% of the time. Btw, how long did each tire last you? I'm shopping for dr's right now and mileage is a factor to some extent for me
Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 1.72 on a nto5r and same setup, same track went 1.64 on an et street radial but got about 2x the amount of life out of the nto5r and had no problem doing 60mph in the rain with the nitto
Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep this is what I hear 99% of the time. Btw, how long did each tire last you? I'm shopping for dr's right now and mileage is a factor to some extent for me
I got about 10,000 out of the nt05r with a lot of track use.
I have about 3,500 on my current et's and they should last me all of next season which will put me at about 8,500 with plenty of track use. Keep in mind milage wise with my setup and at my power level I was able to turn the nt05r's over at will on the street but they are a harder compound.
With my et's they hook much better so I'm not leaving as much tire/rubber on the pavement and also depending on the surface, like a ruff textured road I will roll into it from a dig to prevent a absolute dead hook and boom goes the rear, if I break I want it to be at the track lol
With the nt05r's I was never worried about dead hooking on the street and knew they would give and break loose before my rear
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SCott5
I went 1.72 on a nto5r and same setup, same track went 1.64 on an et street radial but got about 2x the amount of life out of the nto5r and had no problem doing 60mph in the rain with the nitto
At the track the mickey is ten times more predictable and not as finicky as the nt05r burnout wise/length and tire pressure imo
Don't get me wrong I loved the nt05r, handled very well, able to hook and is a very good all around radial but traction wise and for the little you give up handling and milage wise the et street is where it's at imo

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 12-07-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got about 10,000 out of the nt05r with a lot of track use.
I have about 3,500 on my current et's and they should last me all of next season which will put me at about 8,500 with plenty of track use. Keep in mind milage wise with my setup and at my power level I was able to turn the nt05r's over at will on the street but they are a harder compound.
With my et's they hook much better so I'm not leaving as much tire/rubber on the pavement and also depending on the surface, like a ruff textured road I will roll into it from a dig to prevent a absolute dead hook and boom goes the rear, if I break I want it to be at the track lol
With the nt05r's I was never worried about dead hooking on the street and knew they would give and break loose before my rear
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott5
I never had an issue from my nto5r on my turbo Camaro nor my friend on his 10sec 5.0. I switched from an et street radial to the nt05r on my 17s but since they don't offer a 15 I had to go back to the et street radial when I went to a 275/60.. With my current zo6 it will be getting nto5r for sure.

This is for street and strip.
Do you feel the ET street hooked better than the Nitto?

Eh...I dont know about that. When I get the marbles on the tires, I seem to lose a lot of "stick". At the track I know the Mickeys will do better-but at what cost on the street?

I can tell you its make a BIG difference! I don't mind burning out to clean off the tires, but my rear end is weak and cant take too much of that!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Do you feel the ET street hooked better than the Nitto?

Eh...I dont know about that. When I get the marbles on the tires, I seem to lose a lot of "stick". At the track I know the Mickeys will do better-but at what cost on the street?

I can tell you its make a BIG difference! I don't mind burning out to clean off the tires, but my rear end is weak and cant take too much of that!
I recently read an article comparing both these tires. The con concensus was that they both were roughly equal at the track with a drop in psi and a burnout, but on the street with no burnout and normal psi the MT was definitely better.

Quick Reply: All NT05r users step in-considering the switch from Mickeys