Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

4th Gen Rim Size Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen Rim Size Help

Hello everyone. I could really use some help with a rim size issue. I currently have a 2000 3.8L Camaro with stock wheels. In my town the tire size the rims currently use are becoming a rarity for on hand stock almost every place I've been to. Sure, most places can order them, but that is not convenient when I have a blowout.

Because of that, I wanted to change my rims out. The rims I had in mind were the "turbo" rims on a '79 10th Anniversary Trans Am. I used to own at one time and it was one of the things that made me fall absolutely in love the 10th TA. Oddly, the tire sizes these use still seem widely on hand available around here.

I have read a lot about 15's on a 4th Gen & possible brake shaving. But since these are essentially the same size as the Snowflake rims, I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit and original Snowflake rim onto a 4th gen and how did it fit? I ask this because the snowflakes are much more common & I figure someone out there has to have tried. Also I cannot find any rims in that size/backspacing combination to test fit locally.

Dimension of rims I am looking to add:
15x7.5
Backspacing: 4 1/2"
Old 12-11-2015, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Not too sure these will clear your front brakes (maybe IF you had the earlier LT1 fronts they would??).
Old 12-11-2015, 12:30 PM

I just found this picture on ebay, shows into the back of the wheel pretty good.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to rain on your parade, but even if those "Turbo T/A" wheels cleared the calipers, the offset is wrong. OE 4th gen wheels have approximately 6" of backspacing, and as you can see, your 2nd gen wheels have only 4.5". In other words, those wheels would stick out too far, by 1.5".....
Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM

Yeah I have already taken all those measurements into consideration including raising the ride height by another inch front and rear (the rims are smaller but the tires are slightly taller than my current stock set), and tubbing the front wheel wells for turn radius clearance. As well as adding and extending fender flares (in case they stick too far out and looks funny) I just need to know if anyone has successfully fit these rims, the Snowflake equivalent or any rims with similar dimensions without having to shave the brakes.

Part of my previous calculations conclude I will lose 1/2 of space on each side of the caliper/rotor assembly. At that measurement, that leaves me with only a few millimeters between the rim diameter & furthest point of the caliper. But since I do not have any of these on hand I don't know the thickess of the rim. Nor can I find any info on the inner diameter measurement of the rim. Since those millimeters will count.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by methodologyx
Hello everyone. I could really use some help with a rim size issue. I currently have a 2000 3.8L Camaro with stock wheels. In my town the tire size the rims currently use are becoming a rarity for on hand stock almost every place I've been to. Sure, most places can order them, but that is not convenient when I have a blowout.

Because of that, I wanted to change my rims out.
If that's the only reason, I would suggest revisiting the initial concern. Do you realistically have blowouts often enough for this to be a serious concern? I ask because, this has only happened to me once in the last ~20 years, and it was with an old tire that I knew needed to be replaced anyway. You could always pick up an additional/matching full-sized wheel with full-sized tire to have on hand if you have roads so bad in your area that this is a big concern - at that point you have a full-sized spare to use until a tire can be delivered.

Also, you aren't limited to just one tire size on a 2000 Camaro. Do you have the factory aluminum wheels or steel wheels with plastic caps? The aluminum wheels can accept various sizes, including 225/55/16, 235/55/16, 245/50/16 and even 255/50/16 (rear - might rub up front though.) Which of those sizes are you having trouble buying locally? Or do you have steel wheels with 215/60/16 tires? Depending on the wheels, you may just be able to switch to a different tire size that's more readily available.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 PM

Yes, unfortunately I am a tire hazard magnet, nails, screws, bolts, syringes, someones key to something (house/car/boat) I dunno but it was still hanging on when the tire shredded. I drive roughly 4-5 hours a day running errands and whatnot both in and out of the city. I have the factory aluminum and try to stick with 245/50/16 all the way around. I have gone through a set of 4 this year alone and last year and the year before were no kinder. Right now I have 245/50/16 in back & 245/45/16 in front. Because last time one of my fronts went nobody had 245/50/16 on hand and DT only had (2) 245/45/16. So i just took both and had them put them on the front. Suffice to say my luck with tires is horrible.

Current pics: After T-Top & Halo Light Conversion

Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by methodologyx
Yes, unfortunately I am a tire hazard magnet, nails, screws, bolts, syringes, someones key to something (house/car/boat) I dunno but it was still hanging on when the tire shredded. I drive roughly 4-5 hours a day running errands and whatnot both in and out of the city. I have the factory aluminum and try to stick with 245/50/16 all the way around. I have gone through a set of 4 this year alone and last year and the year before were no kinder. Right now I have 245/50/16 in back & 245/45/16 in front. Because last time one of my fronts went nobody had 245/50/16 on hand and DT only had (2) 245/45/16. So i just took both and had them put them on the front. Suffice to say my luck with tires is horrible.
If you're really going though tires that often then the simple solution would be to just buy a spare set in your preferred size right now, and then order another spare set as soon as you use up your inventory. That way you'll always have what you want on-hand. You seem to be using tires so often that they won't be in storage long enough to deteriorate from age, so this should work well if it's really that hard to get them locally.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Rim Size Help