Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Weld wheels and grinding calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weld wheels and grinding calipers

I put together a little write up about Weld racing wheels and caliper grinding. Take a look and see if there is anything I need to add or if you see any mistakes.

http://www.freewebs.com/casper9t9/dragwheelinfo.htm
Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write-up!

Thanks for mentioning the Bogart line, though I would have to disagree with your comment that welds are the most popular. Since we began production of the F-body line ~4 years ago, the rims have been gaining poplularity due to many folks seeing the benifits of our rims over the others. For the discriminatory user, the benifits do outweigh the costs.

If I had to choose between an ecomomy rim though, I'd pick the weld prostar over the centerline anyday due to weight benifits as well as fitment benifits (considering 10 inch rims are used).

It really is a poor comparison though as prostars draglites etc are in a different class of rims. Weld designs a similar benifitial rim as our P1's and the costs are right in line. Their higher quality rims are not F-body specific and have some fitment issues though. The prostar/draglite shopper is completely different then a bogart or high-end weld shopper. Prostar/draglites are an economy rim and built for cost with less expensive lower quality parts vs. the high-end weld products and our high-end Bogart rims.

You may want to edit the backspace comments regarding the centerline rims. It may be confusing to some. Choosing a 15x8 rim with centerline or weld nets a 5.5 backspace as the largest option. This is much smaller then the stock 8 inch rim (6.25-6.75 depending on year). 5.5 sets the rim quite further out over stock. I believe you were comparing the weld 10 inch rim @ 7.5 inches over centerlines 6.5 bs. The 6.5 is poor in my opinion as you really need shortened axles.

Using an 8 inch rim in general, nets a user to run smaller width tires then what can be fit on the car (11.5 tires are not recommended for use on 15x8 rims). Typically, since 11.5 inch tires can fit easily, a 10 inch rim is optimum. Since traction seems to always be a main issue, as long as your class allows it, run the larger width tires:-)

Seperate non-welded spacers are not a good option. There are stress issues that arrise with the use of them...I believe that even with a spacer on the fronts, generally, there is grinding needed. If one is not using a spacer, major work is generally necessary.

You also may want to add a stud replacement write-up as the topic comes up quite a bit. In addition, not only are the longer studs recommended, it is necessary and dangerous NOT to run them w/welds especially when your using a spacer. This is for FRONT and REAR rims. Even with the longer studs, it BARELY passes w/spacers. Fitment issues arrise with the long studs and stock wheels using caps, covers or closed lugs. They will stick out quite a bit over stock looking a bit out of place....though better safe then sorry.

Steve
Pres.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear from an expert. Thanks Steve. I want it to be as accurate as possible and when I have some time I'll make some revisions that you suggested. I need to do a little more research on Centerline wheels. I wish I documented my stud replacement with pictures, but I'll try to do a little something with that too.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem with the help. I was hoping that the post didn't read as if I was condeming your write-up. I think it's great when stuff like this is done. It's always nice for guys to read about installs and questions from the guys whom have "been there, done that".

I just noticed, there is a guy that wrote up a stud install...its a sticky, you may just want to include a link to his site if he ok's it for you. That would probably be the easiest for you:-).

Steve