Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

NT05r vs M/T SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NT05r vs M/T SS

looking to update and on the fence. Nitto NT05r or M/T SS radial.
275-40-17 running Nitto 555r on 16" wheels now. They have given me a lot of service and are still in decent shape. Very few trips to the track, so 98% of use will be on the street. running mods in signature. difference in price is not even considered here. tell me what you like or dislike about both of them. Thanks
Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I debated between these two for a while and went with the NT05R. From what I've seen the NT05R will handle and wear a little better, and will do almost as good at the strip when aired down. Where the MT shines is at full psi (say like 24-28) it will stick better on the street. This what I've seen based on tons of research. Very happy with my NT05R's so far though
Old 07-30-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

I love both those tires.

Nt05r handle better and have better tread wear but are more finicky to get to hook at the track. If I never went to the track, at my power level, I would probably run nt05r's.

As far as the Mt et street/ss.... I run the Mt et streets and love them. My buddy runs the SS and I have driven it and taken it down the track and those tires hook like a ton of bricks. In his exhaust and converter only z28 I easily pulled a 1.63 60' on those tires with a small burnout and about 20 psi in the tires. They don't quit handle as good as the nt05r's but they are not far behind.

At the track I had to do a long burnout with the Nt05r at about 16-17 psi and they were a bit more finicky to get to hook as far as finding the right tire pressure and doing the right length of burnout.

With the MT's it was a small smokey burnout and go.

I love both the tires. Imo if you spend a lot of time on the street with maybe 1 track outting a season I would go with the Nt05r. If you hit the track a lot, as I make quite a few trips a season, I would go with the MT's.

Do you want handling and tread wear or a reliable dead hook which equals winning lol. Both are a very nice tires

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 07-30-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: NT05r vs M/T SS