Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Grinding the calipers for Weld wheels *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
so.. using that as an arguement? Is your car is 100% stock?
I'm not sure what non stock has to do with grinding calipers? But, ok. I'm running aftermarket replacement parts that are designed for my car. Except, the stuff I'm running actually fits. So, no, it's not stock, but, it's not hacked.

I just have concerns about the safety issues. I just showed you what can happen to a caliper that was not ground on.

Anyway. Do whatever you want, have fun, be safe and try not to run into me if it fails on you.

3M is creating stuff to strengthen OEM calipers to allow less material to be used.

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/...Brochure_3.pdf

Until then, I'd leave all the material they desigened the part with, but, that may just be me.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naah, Nothing to do with cool, alot about being fast at what we choose to do with our own cars.
I guess that my point is that many people see it done and may not have any thoughts that it could be dangerous. If they know, and they do it anyway, and it breaks. They were warned, and they're on their own. I hope nobody gets hurt.

LMAO, do you cut & paste this to every post?
Nope, I actually retype it. I hate to waste two good years of typing class.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My break lights on my dash came on after i shaved my rear calipers!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFter i reset the ecm they didnt come back on, so thats good.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
the fronts went verry smooth. each side took about 15 minutes and didn't require nearly as much work to get them to fit. i also did the paint check on them too.
so with the grinding...you were able to run a drag lite on the front without ANY spacer? or is it just a thinner spacer? i have 5/16" spacers on mine and am looking to get the front wheels in a bit....just looked like it would require a lot of grinding to make it clear without any spacer. thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trackbird
There was a time when people only bought wheels that fit their cars. If the wheel didn't fit, they didn't buy them. It was not "standard practice" (anywhere but the LS1 crowd) to just grind the crap out of it until you could get the wheels to fit.
and at what time was this? since at least the last ten years...this is like standard practice on these newer cars with bigger brakes...and not just on fbodys....i had to do this on my 95 mustang to get welds to fit way back in the day. I fully agree with you about the safety of this...but just wanted you to be aware that this is being done more than you think.

Looks to me like that c5 caliper might have gotten red hot over heated from road racing or something? at least it bend and didnt break
Old 12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

what's wrong with running adapters...that would save you from grinding the calipers...and it would be just as strong...
Old 12-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777
what's wrong with running adapters...that would save you from grinding the calipers...and it would be just as strong...
some adapters will not sit flat with the wheel and the hub. this will cause the tire to wobble down the road.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...and not to mention add to the rotating mass you're trying to reduce with the lighter wheels.

Quick Reply: Grinding the calipers for Weld wheels *pics*