Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Please help with deep dish wheels! Need advice on negative offset

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with deep dish wheels! Need advice on negative offset

All right guys please help I have searched for hours and haven’t found anything basically I have a 99 Z 28 with stock suspension set up and I am trying to go with the biggest negative offset that I can, I haven’t found anything but positive offset forums. I basically want the deep dish rear wheel look And just a tiny lip on the front, I want to go with the biggest and widest rear wheel I can, quite possibly a 19 inch rear and a 17

inch front wheel but I know I want a noticeable difference between the two. I will upload a picture of my car and a Chevelle that has a very similar set up I am after. And yes I know the Chevelle is tubbed and I won’t get anywhere near that it’s just a guideline for what I am trying to accomplish Please post pictures, dimensions and any advice possible, I’m not great with offset or backspacing. But at the end of the day I want the widest and deepest I can go with and will also need to know tire size as well, thank you all!!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to narrow the axle to run negative offset. General rule of thumb is +40mm is as far as you can go on stock parts. Some have gone down to the high 30's but it depends on the wheel and how much you want to massage the wheel well. If you're set on going full muscle car you need to yank the rear and start cutting things up.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
You need to narrow the axle to run negative offset. General rule of thumb is +40mm is as far as you can go on stock parts. Some have gone down to the high 30's but it depends on the wheel and how much you want to massage the wheel well. If you're set on going full muscle car you need to yank the rear and start cutting things up.

I’ve done a ton of research today, I believe I have found out I’m gonna go with 17x10.5 or 17x11inch wheels(whichever size I can find) with a +44 or +46 offset with a 315/35/R17 on the rear, and a 17x9 with 275/40/R17 on the front, I’m trying to keep it all stock but get as much meat as I can with going no lower that a 17 inch wheel, j wanna keep a good ratio, do you think that will fit? I’m going with American racing torq thrust 2 wheels
Old 08-28-2018, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtoney33

I’ve done a ton of research today, I believe I have found out I’m gonna go with 17x10.5 or 17x11inch wheels(whichever size I can find) with a +44 or +46 offset with a 315/35/R17 on the rear, and a 17x9 with 275/40/R17 on the front, I’m trying to keep it all stock but get as much meat as I can with going no lower that a 17 inch wheel, j wanna keep a good ratio, do you think that will fit? I’m going with American racing torq thrust 2 wheels
Should be okay since you're not lowered. No adjustable panhard bar?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Should be okay since you're not lowered. No adjustable panhard bar?
no experience with panhard bars boss, not sure even what it is or what it does, I’ve worked on many cars but never had to deal with those...sorry..
Old 08-28-2018, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtoney33

no experience with panhard bars boss, not sure even what it is or what it does, I’ve worked on many cars but never had to deal with those...sorry..
No problem man. That bar allows you to center the rear end, which also helps to center the rear wheels as well. As an example when my suspension was stock I was able to run a 17x11 wheel with a 50mm offset and with a 315/35/17 tire. It would only rub a tad if I I was tuning hard going on to raised or angled surface. That was it. Now that I'm lowered it's a different story. One thing to keep in mind is certain tires run wider than others in the same size. For example a 315 BFG is about one inch wider than a Nitro 555R. That's a huge difference for both being a 315
Old 08-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
No problem man. That bar allows you to center the rear end, which also helps to center the rear wheels as well. As an example when my suspension was stock I was able to run a 17x11 wheel with a 50mm offset and with a 315/35/17 tire. It would only rub a tad if I I was tuning hard going on to raised or angled surface. That was it. Now that I'm lowered it's a different story. One thing to keep in mind is certain tires run wider than others in the same size. For example a 315 BFG is about one inch wider than a Nitro 555R. That's a huge difference for both being a 315
i was more than likely gonna look into some BFG G-Forces I seen a picture with it having a red ring around the tire which I would like to have unless I change my mind & they still make em, haven’t had time to look lol, I’m not a big tire guy so not really picky with them at all Ive just always bought mid grade, I’m a blue collar man lol