Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Hub Fitment & Runout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Hub Fitment & Runout?

I just received a set of 17x9.5 chrome z06 wheels from a certain online seller frequently mentioned on this forum that tends to have mixed reviews.
The wheels look great (except for 1 that I need to exchange due to it arriving damaged) and they don't have any clearance issues, but when I was test fitting the wheel only on the hub last night I noticed that there is a decent amount of play between the wheel and the hub.

The wheel hub bores are spec'd out to be the 70.3mm size but I'm estimating there's at least .020-.035" play up and down when on the car hub. My hub measures right at ~2.7665" (70.269mm), and I couldn't quite measure the wheel hub bores adequately last night. The wheels are spec'd to be the correct stud spacing as well.

I tightened each of the lug nuts a little bit at a time making sure they bottom out on the wheel evenly to "center" the wheel on the studs and then spun them. Visually I can see a decent amount of radial runout (maybe .080" or so) with some very slight lateral runout. I'm going to pick up an indicator today to get actuals, but the issue repeats when trying another wheel hub on the car (2000 Camaro SS).

What's an acceptable amount of play between the hub and hub bore on the wheel? Shouldn't this fit up rather snugly so the weight of the car is resting on the hub and not the studs?
What's an acceptable amount of radial and lateral runout on the wheel itself when properly mounted?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the studs actually are holding the wheel in place. So they all need to be tight when you take a measurement. I have a set of spacers with the bore nose on them, and there is a little bit of play. There has to be a little for when wheel hubs and wheels get hot and expand.
To me runout of 0.08 (~2mm) doesn't sound like a lot, if it was much more I might worry.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I had the lug nuts tightened in the star pattern and felt the wheels center themselves as I did that. Here are my runout numbers (total indicator reading) measured at the bead diameter and bead wall:

Wheel #1:
Outboard Bead .030" Radial and .010" Lateral
Inboard Bead .032" Radial and .010" Lateral
Hub to Wheel hub bore play (up and down movement bore tightening lug nuts) .018"

Wheel #2:
Outboard Bead .015" Radial and .007" Lateral
Inboard Bead .013" Radial and .007" Lateral
Hub to Wheel hub bore play (up and down movement bore tightening lug nuts) .020"

Wheel #3:
Outboard Bead .022" Radial and .011" Lateral
Inboard Bead .021" Radial and .005" Lateral
Hub to Wheel hub bore play (up and down movement bore tightening lug nuts) .017"

Wheel #4:
No data. Going to be exchanged due to it arriving damaged.

I just recall any stock rims I've worked with in the past being rather lugcentric and having no more than maybe .008 or .010" of slop.

Do any of these above numbers seem concerning?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive never measured stock wheel hub clearances. But when i had racestar skinnies whose hub was machined way bigger (meaning the lugs centered the wheel) i had BAD vibration over about 45/50 mph. I ordered their plastic hub adapters and the vibe went completely away. Meaning even if you think the lugs hold the wheel, the hub is still what holds it centered while you tighten it. So correct fit is important IMO.