Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How bad will aftermarket wheels hurt performance? Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How bad will aftermarket wheels hurt performance? Need advice!

I haven't done the wheel mod thing before...

I'm looking at American Racing TTIIs or 200s, but they weigh 6-8 lbs more per wheel than my current 2002 stock z28 wheels. This is almost 50% more weight per wheel! I want the look but I don't want it to hurt my 1/4 miles...

From a performance standpoint, would I be better off keeping the stock 16x8 Z28 wheels and slapping on some Nittos, or getting the 17 x 9.5 aftermarket wheels with good tires? If straightline performance will be hurt, what kind of penalty should I expect?

One other factor to consider. This fall I'm getting a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10s and I want enough traction to take advantage of it!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much would you end up spending on those AR wheels and tires? Since you are more worried about track performance i would say keep the stockers for daily driving and spend the money on a set of drag wheels for the track instead or at least the front skinnies, then get an extra set of stockers cheap for the rear with some sticky tires
Old 07-09-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EverclearZ
I haven't done the wheel mod thing before...

I'm looking at American Racing TTIIs or 200s, but they weigh 6-8 lbs more per wheel than my current 2002 stock z28 wheels. This is almost 50% more weight per wheel! I want the look but I don't want it to hurt my 1/4 miles...

From a performance standpoint, would I be better off keeping the stock 16x8 Z28 wheels and slapping on some Nittos, or getting the 17 x 9.5 aftermarket wheels with good tires? If straightline performance will be hurt, what kind of penalty should I expect?

One other factor to consider. This fall I'm getting a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10s and I want enough traction to take advantage of it!
i would go with the aftermarkets. yes they are heavier, but you will achieve much more. the trade-off between some bad *** rims and maybe if any a little hurt in perf is totally acceptable to me. plus if you get some sticky tires like nittos, or bfg's you shouldnt run into "alot" of traction problems.
now, since your going with a 12bolt and 4.10's there is more of a possibility that your gonna need some traction. i would tie up the susp a little bit if you havent already, and u might want to look into some e/t streets for the track.
either way get the rims!

J
Old 07-09-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

i went through the "looks" faze too (see my Pictures link in sig), and it didn't last long when I could see the different in the times, especially the 60' plus i was too picky with my car and didnt't want to park it out anywhere and little nit-pick things like that, so i went back to the stockers and got the drag wheels again for the track and i couldn't be happier with the results.

Lynda
Old 07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

friends dont let friends drive stock. the stock rims arent the best looking thing GM has made. i still say get them.

J
Old 07-09-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies...

Lynda - can you quantify how much ET you lost, and with which wheels, the Z06s or others (cool pics by the way).

heyitsTaJay - I agree with you on the looks, stock rims are pretty fugly, especially mine. Where did you pick up your Z06 rims, I'm thinking about those too.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EverclearZ
Thanks for the replies...

Lynda - can you quantify how much ET you lost, and with which wheels, the Z06s or others (cool pics by the way).
I have all my timeslips with mod info plugged into an Excel file, and i no longer have Excel on my computer so I am going to run to my dad's house this evening and see if i can print it off. It was with the Z06 wheels BTW.

Lynda
Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got my 18's off ebay for a steal! but had to go with Discounttire fr the 17's. the ZO6's would look AWESOME on your ride. i am infatuated with how they look on my TA, and i know for a fact they look killer on a Z. good luck

J