Notices
Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old of a date code would you accept on "new" tires?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old of a date code would you accept on "new" tires?

I personally wouldn't pay full price for tires that were over a year old. Especially these days when buying tires online, how old would they have to be to have you refuse them and send them back?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

They say tires should be replaced every 6 years, so I would agree with you on a year limit for buying new tires.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I don't personally subscribe to the idea that tires have a fixed expiration date, it's highly variable based on usage (including operational climate), storage, and care conditions. The common "6 year" recommendation probably assumes a worst case scenario within the realm of reasonable usage and keeps things simple for the average motorist, but it might be even shorter in applications that really push the limit (such as competition) and far, far longer for applications that see nothing but pampered conditions. Ultimately, folks should obviously do whatever makes them feel most comfortable, but personal experience has proven to me that, for some applications, the range is quite greater than the recommendation would suggest.

Having said that, I would expect most tires to be reasonably fresh when purchased new, especially if it's from a big online retailer. However, some oddball sizes or tires purchased from lower volume local warehouses might be older than 12 months, and that could be typical. Tires age very slowly when stored in proper conditions, but, of course, you can only hope that the warehouse has been storing them in proper conditions.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: