Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Shredding rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Shredding rear tires

Okay this car haunts me in so many ways but working through the issues one by one as they arise and would never trade it for anything because it's my dream car. With that said it's a 2000 trans am, bought it with 19inch c6s in the rear and 18s up front, slammed, lo pro tires, just overall not my thing. I put Cooper Zeon RS3-G1
285/35R19 99W in the rear and have been literally SHREDDING my side wall. I swapped the shocks in the rear because it was thudding bad and I thought it was just that, kept knocking so immediately drove it back and took the lowering springs out no more knock, added maybe a inch or slightly more so I thought problem solved but nope still happening. I have never been a rims guy so never looked Into offset and all that jazz. The bottom of my quarter panel is stamped and I don't feel good driving it. Is there a solution besides ditching the spacers for the c6 rims and switching to a whole new setup? Not against it but just diy built this transmission twice so funds are a little tighter right now.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbs1994
Okay this car haunts me in so many ways but working through the issues one by one as they arise and would never trade it for anything because it's my dream car. With that said it's a 2000 trans am, bought it with 19inch c6s in the rear and 18s up front, slammed, lo pro tires, just overall not my thing. I put Cooper Zeon RS3-G1
285/35R19 99W in the rear and have been literally SHREDDING my side wall. I swapped the shocks in the rear because it was thudding bad and I thought it was just that, kept knocking so immediately drove it back and took the lowering springs out no more knock, added maybe a inch or slightly more so I thought problem solved but nope still happening. I have never been a rims guy so never looked Into offset and all that jazz. The bottom of my quarter panel is stamped and I don't feel good driving it. Is there a solution besides ditching the spacers for the c6 rims and switching to a whole new setup? Not against it but just diy built this transmission twice so funds are a little tighter right now.
Either the offset is wrong, you could so have too much compression travel because the bump stops are shot. Is one tire getting it worse than the other?
Old 06-02-2024, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbs1994
Roll the inner fender lips. I'm about to do that to my car tomorrow. The passenger side rear tire is getting cut up. I've adjusted my panhard bar and my shocks are fairly stiff at 6 clicks in. Might even try 7

Quick Reply: Shredding rear tires