Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pro Stars...yes or no??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy Bogarts in a second if my wife had a job.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

OUCH!!! Don't go there!! You ride looks phat to me!! I'm just debating on whether I want to grind my calipers.

ps- mine works full time at home with two kids. I couldn't do it.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

I used a belt sander to grind my calibers. You can sand away the calibers with super course paper in no time as long as you know how much to sand away. You don't want to remove anymore than necessary as it does weaken the caliber. Keep in mind too that when the caliber warms up if you don't have enough clearance it will drag the wheel even though it cleared when cool.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grinding the brakes sucks ***.
Huge pain in the *** and defentially no fun.
Almost as bad as sticking you hand in a blender.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Launching!

That's why we need ProStar and Draglite makers to come out with a direct fit for LS1 cars. Then we will be set.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 08-20-2004, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Irvinenew,

You're talking about designing a specific rim that is built for the economy style minded individual. It won't happen and stay the same price.

They have designed another style for larger caliper'd cars though it is alittle more expensive and heavier. From an appearance standpoint, they are much nicer looking then their baseline economy drag rims (prostar/draglite) imho.

You get what you pay for...rims are not overpriced just for the sake of it. Costs involved in higher quality material as well as workmanship dictate the final selling price.

We do have something that works and is specific to LS1 and LT1 cars...it is the design that I worked up about ~4 years ago. It happens to be the lightest on the market with a direct fit for LS1 and LT1 F-bodies. It's a little more expensive but you get what you pay for in the end.

If you want to save money, not be finicky regarding weight savings, and don't care about the materials used or overall appearance, then economy rims are what should be considered. When making this choice, just as with any economy built product, you take the good with the bad. Just keep in mind, you could be loosing ~50 lbs of static converted weight (more with centerlines) by making this choice as well as fitment issues etc.

There IS a reason why weld manufactures a high-end rim such as ours...the reason are there ARE weight advantages with it as well as overall appearance is MUCH higher quality i.e. aluma star 2 rims. They are in line of Bogart pricing. They do not curtail specifically to the masses with custom designs though and they don't directly fit well without modifications. They are very high quality rims non the less.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally like the look of the Pro Stars more than the Bogarts. I am not a fan of the bolts around the edge like that...I just like the simplicity and clean looks of the Welds more.

Anyone have more pics of Camaros with Pro Stars? I'm looking for some pics of them with 15x8 on the back with 26x11.5 tires.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

heres another high quality option.

holeshot holestars
true 3 piece wheel, lighter than bogarts. do require front and rear caliper grinding though. plus imo they are much cleaner looking

i wanted something noone had so i got these.

originally i got them for daily driving but they are far too light and far too expensive for it so i use them as track only now.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I personally like the look of the Pro Stars more than the Bogarts. I am not a fan of the bolts around the edge like that...I just like the simplicity and clean looks of the Welds more.

Anyone have more pics of Camaros with Pro Stars? I'm looking for some pics of them with 15x8 on the back with 26x11.5 tires.

A 26x11.5 ET street is NOT recommended for an 8 inch rim fwiw. Stick with ether a smaller tire or a larger rim.

There's so many choices with the bogart styles, you can choose a welded design instead of the bolted centers.

In response to the holeshots being lighter, I would disagree with that statement. The holeshots are set for drag race use only for cars with drag brakes without the optional centers and not setup like ours for F-bodies. This will make the rim lighter due to the build design when comparing to an F-body design...but not when you compare them to a similar build bogart for drag racing. To make holeshots fit, you need to add additional seperate spacers which increase the overall weight and grind to make them fit.

When a customer has drag brakes, or similar designs, we design the rims accordingly to use the least amount of material but still fit the caliper/rotor. We have a variety of designs, they do vary in weight due to the parts utilized. Due to the use of non-welded spacers moving the sheer line out on the lugs, we avoid these practices at all cost.

Unless they have changed their design, their bolted rims do NOT have the two rim shells welded together then bolt the centers. With this design, a high fatigue point is located at the bolt hole area which will fail. There is also the problem of the rim not holding it's tire pressure do to deflection of material and the seals failing. Bogarts are guaranteed not to leak without tubes.

The bolted Bogart rims USED to be built similar as a true three piece non-welded rim shell design many years ago but have changed due to the problem area desribed above that arrose from use. Due to this, they are definitly only a track only rim which I know they strongly suggest.

I am commenting on these not to degrade their products, just an observation. Non the less, another very-good high-end track-only rim...not a direct fitment for an F-body.

I do prefer the look of them over a weld prostar by far. I'm sure tally can attest that pictures don't do them justice. From an appearance stanpoint, they really add to the overall appearance of the car. I'm not fond of the structure from a mechanical engineering perspective though especially for a heavier F-body car.

I personally feel a rim makes the overall look of a car. Just because your using a drag rim, doesn't mean the car has to look like it. With high-end series rims albeit Bogart, weld or even holeshot rims definitly have their weight advantages over ANY economy series weld prostar/draglite or centerline series....it's really apples to oranges in comparison.

For the guys whom don't want to save ~50 lbs converted static weight with high-end series rim and not spend a bit more $$ is not really considering the whole picture of weight savings... 50 lbs is quite a bit of weight to loose! I don't know of too many mods that give you that kind of savings anywhere.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 08-22-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Steve I sent you an email.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve10

A 26x11.5 ET street is NOT recommended for an 8 inch rim fwiw. Stick with ether a smaller tire or a larger rim.

Steve
Pres.
My mistake, I meant a 15x10 rim.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

my pro stars are for sale im goin to magnum 2.0's or bogart d10's
Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Launching!

This thread was from 2004, but I'm sure they appreciate the offer.