Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Remove Locked Lug Nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Locked Lug Nuts?

Dropped my car off at the dealership to get a tire repaired. Then a week later take it to get new tires put on and magically my lug nut lock is gone. Hrmm... Dunno why they'd take the wheels off, but oh well.

So I go to order a new key with the code I'm supposed to have (dealership tells me the sticker is in the top of the glove box), and there's no sticker. They say "wow you really should have gotten that when you got the car". I say "YOU sold it to me!" They say "oh, well it's $350 for us to fix it then".

So how do I get these locked nuts off without a key? I tried the gator-grip thing, but it's not quite big enough to get around the bolt and I'm not sure it'd go deep enough to grab it (if it could).

Anyone done this before?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Razzak
Dropped my car off at the dealership to get a tire repaired. Then a week later take it to get new tires put on and magically my lug nut lock is gone. Hrmm... Dunno why they'd take the wheels off, but oh well.

So I go to order a new key with the code I'm supposed to have (dealership tells me the sticker is in the top of the glove box), and there's no sticker. They say "wow you really should have gotten that when you got the car". I say "YOU sold it to me!" They say "oh, well it's $350 for us to fix it then".

So how do I get these locked nuts off without a key? I tried the gator-grip thing, but it's not quite big enough to get around the bolt and I'm not sure it'd go deep enough to grab it (if it could).

Anyone done this before?

Thanks.
I took mine to a local tire shop.. They removed them all for $20. Once you have them off. Just order a new set from RKsports.com.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:43 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im lost...
Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
im lost...

aahahahhahaa
I guess they moved the car around the tire.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1

aahahahhahaa
I guess they moved the car around the tire.
hahahaha
Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
im lost...

Lol. What I meant was, I don't know why they'd take the tires off when they went to repair the tire. Usually it doesn't require that

Old 08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

You took your car to a dealership to have a tire repaired??? WHY??? Do you have a road hazard with them, or something? Are you buying your new tires from them, too???

Anyway...

Lol. What I meant was, I don't know why they'd take the tires off when they went to repair the tire. Usually it doesn't require that

If you want to have a tire properly repaired, you definetely need to take the tire off the car. Even off the rim, BTW.

Any tire shop will be able to take them off for you. And it is not going to cost you $350.

TS
Old 08-24-2004, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Any tire shop will be able to take them off for you. And it is not going to cost you $350.

TS

Yep thanks. Took it to a local tire shop and they charged $25. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:49 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tire places arent allowed to plug tires anymore. i went to have one done at work and the guy said that it voids your insurance or somthing. they have to take the tire off and patch it from the inside.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

do the 4th gen ls1s all come with factory locknuts? i bought mine back in may and havent had to take the wheels off yet, sure would suck to find out i need a lugnut key.

is there a place in the car where the key is located? cause i dont have one in my glovebox and didnt notice one when i checked out the spare and the jack.

edit- dag nabbit, i got home and read thru the manual. i need a dang lugnut key, is there any way to use the v.i.n.# or the ignition and door key knockouts and get a replacement?

Last edited by badhoopty; 08-24-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sell tools for removing these... local tire shop shoulod be able to remove them as well... I removed my locking lugs... they got REALLY annoying... switching tires alot for drag racing... the key would get stuck to the lugnut and not come off...

and if a person really wanted your wheels... they'd have the kit to take the lock off or they'd just hammer a socket on and take it right off...
Old 08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

The tool is call a 21mm socket. Hammer it on the lock lug, then twist to the left.
Feel free to experiment since some lockers are different sizes, just hammer on whatever socket is just big enough to fit over the lug. Then punch it out of the socket using a vice to hold it. BTW, an impact gun facilitates this procedure immensly.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Horist is right.... a local shop lost my key, and I took it to Discount, and all the did was hammer a socket on there to take it off.... Cost me $0.00
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by badhoopty
i need a dang lugnut key, is there any way to use the v.i.n.# or the ignition and door key knockouts and get a replacement?

Nope. The key code is in no way related to any other code on your car. This is so that no one can just walk up to your car, read your VIN and get the key to remove your wheels. When you bought the car you should have gotten the key along with a piece of paper identifying the lugnut lock manufacturer and a few cards with the manufacturer's name and the key code on it.

BTW,
They are AMCOR wheel locks by MascoTech.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by badhoopty
do the 4th gen ls1s all come with factory locknuts? i bought mine back in may and havent had to take the wheels off yet, sure would suck to find out i need a lugnut key.

is there a place in the car where the key is located? cause i dont have one in my glovebox and didnt notice one when i checked out the spare and the jack.

edit- dag nabbit, i got home and read thru the manual. i need a dang lugnut key, is there any way to use the v.i.n.# or the ignition and door key knockouts and get a replacement?
If you haven't found a key, the chances are you don't have locks. Have you checked your wheels to see whether you have them or not?

TS
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my '00 T/A used from a dealer 1 1/2 years ago...I'm glad the locking nuts weren't on the car when I bought it! What a PITA that would have been for changing tires at the track all the time...