Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315-35-17 BFG Drag Radial vs. KDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 315-35-17 BFG Drag Radial vs. KDs

I did some searching, but looking for some more feedback. With strictly
street use and no burnouts, what mileage should I expect out of the drag radials? 8K or is that pushing it? I figure 20K on the KDs. And fair to say the handling will be noticeably better with the stiffer sidewall KDs ?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

handling of the KD's is UNBELIEVABLE! they do not like water, they do not like rough terrain (well, no 315 does), they really don't like being cold (first time i drove on them cold i thought i broke an endlink it was so soft) but once you get them at nice and hot at 40-44psi, you just grip grip grip. at the track every time i thought i was pushing it, i'd turn in some more, and it would follow. to put it short, they're way more of a tire than i am a driver.
milage? hmm..i dunno, i went through like 3 gastanks worth of gas on them so far (one at a track though, rest highway) but they still look awesome with the huge tread blocks it is the ultimate summer tire, but i don't know about their drag ability, as i never tried, nor intend to.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a cut and paste from e-mail if you didn't get it..lol

I've used both F1's and BFG's.

I'd say from a longevity point, if you were going to just drive around normally all the time during everyday use and traction is not really a concern, the KD or better yet, the F1's or the like tire would be best as it will last 15-20K miles (yea they say more but they never do). I view them as an everyday summer all season (rain etc) tire that does well on all areas of performance...though does NOT have the traction that you need for street racing or track.

If you want a performance grade tire, the drags are the way to go...you'll only get 5-10k miles out of them, but they will perform much better. They are half the price of the more expensive tires, though you can buy twice as much...This tire is a true summer tire only.

I think the harder compound tires like KD, F1's etc feel like your riding on plastic first gear is pretty much useless...(compared to a drag 315). I'm not sure if you've used a 17 inch rim before, but they don't have the traction that you will think as there is almost NO sidewall flex thus making traction more of an issue.

I'd say, try the drag style tire...if you don’t like them due to not performing well on wet ground, then pick up the other tires. At least you're not spending a lot more money for ones you may not like.

Steve