Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

325/50/15 MT Street radials are on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how is the tire growth at speed? Seems like there's not a lot of clearance for growth.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Never had an issue with it. I have been upwards of aroud 130 and no rubbing. So I guess they dont grow much at all. I do have adjustable LCA's and they are centered in the well. It would take a couple inches of growth to rub aything.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:20 AM
9 Second Club

I was thinking of getting those also. Do they grow as much as an ET Drag tire does?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Your a brave guy running those times with spacers.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Your a brave guy running those times with spacers.
I hear this a lot but no one can explain why. The rims (Draglights, or prostars or whichever you you run) do not fit on the hub correctly(non hub-centric) like a stock wheel (hub-centric) anyhow. Therfore without a spacer it is still riding on the lugs just as much as with a spacer. And I dont believe that my 1/8" spacer is sticking the wheel out far enough to make any difference what so ever.
So my question to you is why is my setup any worse off with a spacer than without? You know when you buy Bogarts you are buying the same thing just with the spacer welded to the rim, so is that any better than what I run? The point is the center hub does not fit correctly either way(non hub-centric) so the lug snapping will happen if it's going to no matter what, unless you run a stock wheel.

Last edited by Tim 98z; 03-17-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

it looks like your car leaves the line nice and straight,not all torqued up.anyways i don't see a problem with spacers either.the clearance between the sst lug nuts and wheel in only a few thousandths so your wheel can't move much at all,especially torqued to proper specs.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

got any vids of your car? how much is your car lightened? I want to build another ls1 with one purpose in mind.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

No vids I can post. I'm getting a vid off a friend that he took of my best pass. But I dont know if it wil ever make it on here.
My car is not lightened at all. Basically I have no back seats (worthless with a cage), no front sway bar, and the draglights. And that is it as far as weight reduction. Then add for the TH400, 12 bolt, cage, 28" radials... and all of that i'm sure it all = more weight then when the car was stock.
But I cant say for sure the car has never been on scales. It's my daily driver I i'm not dumping any of the creature comforts like AC, power windows, carpet..yada..yada I just do this for fun/hobby. Only race on T-N-T days. Kind of makes no since to have a cage, 12 bolt, spool, th400 for a daily driver. I wonder about myself sometimes. LOL
it looks like your car leaves the line nice and straight,not all torqued up.anyways i don't see a problem with spacers either.the clearance between the sst lug nuts and wheel in only a few thousandths so your wheel can't move much at all,especially torqued to proper specs.
Thanks! I run the Spohn drag bar. I think it needs more minor adjusting. The pic looks level from that angle. But my buddys say it did tilt once it got moving a little bit. Nothing big at all but I'm still playing with it.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim 98z
I hear this a lot but no one can explain why. The rims (Draglights, or prostars or whichever you you run) do not fit on the hub correctly(non hub-centric) like a stock wheel (hub-centric) anyhow. Therfore without a spacer it is still riding on the lugs just as much as with a spacer. And I dont believe that my 1/8" spacer is sticking the wheel out far enough to make any difference what so ever.
So my question to you is why is my setup any worse off with a spacer than without? You know when you buy Bogarts you are buying the same thing just with the spacer welded to the rim, so is that any better than what I run? The point is the center hub does not fit correctly either way(non hub-centric) so the lug snapping will happen if it's going to no matter what, unless you run a stock wheel.
Leverage against the stud. The farther out your lugnut is, the more leverage it has against the entire length of the wheelstud. Spacers put the lugnut farther out, thus increasing the forces applied to the stud.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Longer wheelstuds in your 12 bolt?

I can see where you would run spacers if that is the case, but not with stock length wheelstuds.

How do the tires feel at like 50-75mph on the street, does the rear end feel waggy once the tires are worn out? Does the car slide out a bit like bald BFG DR's if you take corners hard?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I have longer/hardened race studs. Car feels really stable at high speeds. Actually in a race at a "track" I was running about 130 passing an opposing racer and had to take a small curve. I thought I was in for it with the DR's/skinnys. It hung it well and felt really stable actually. I had about 22 psi in them at the time. Mine are not very worn out yet so i dont know abuot how they feel when they get old. I do have a lot of wear on them. Just now down to the indicators. But that's only about 50% of the life gone.
Diet coke. I know that and I would trust my studs more with small spacer than with a stock lug and no spacer running a non hub centrick wheel. Everyone has their of opinons as to what is safe and not.... I would rather run an upgraded stud and a small spacer then ground down calipers, and stock lugs. Just my opinion. I feel safer this way.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Does That Spool Make It Suck When You Take Corners? Did You Really Need A Spool Or Would A 12 Bolt Posi Done The Trick? Did You Have To Do Anything To The Ecu For The Turbo 400 Conversion? I'd Like To Build Another Fun Car But I Like Overdrive So I Would Like To Put A Gear Vendors Overdrive In It But I See Noone On This Site Has Done That Yet To My Knowldedge. I Respect That Your Car Is Fast Yet Fullweight With All The Creature Comforts, That's What I Call A Street Car. Major Props To Ya!

Please Get A Vid Up When Ya Can Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yes the spool blows on the street. And I would not recommend it to drive on. I think I would be fine with a posi at my power level. To me it's a money thing I have 9 month old twin girls to raise and have to keep the car on a "budget"(military pay isnt the highest around) 12 bolt with a spool is cheap in comparrison to a full loaded version that I would RATHER have.
There is a good TH400 write up in the auto section. It will give you a list of everything needed. I dont want to act like a know it all in that section so my best advice would be to read there and do what option fits you best.
Yea an GV overdrive would be REALLY nice also on the street. Another option I would LOVE to have. I'm running the TCI Competition TH400 reverse manual valve body tranny. You know the $800 one VS the NICE more expensive options you see on this board. I would also love to have the Transbrake just dont want to pay for it. LOL
The only good thing about this car on the street is it's fast and hooks up well. No to many daily driven 10 sec cars running around.(in arkansas atleast) The bad part is the spool and stuff I deal with for budget reasons. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GV overdrive = major trans tunnel mods & a lot of weight. To run a 400, No mods required to the PCM except to get rid of idiot lights. You can even run a standard SBC converter by making a different pilot for the TCI flexplate that will extend and engage the converter snout (knock out the pilot/ hub they have in theirs).

I sort of like the TCI- Had one in a farily heavy drag car in the past and it held up well. Plus, they stand behind their stuff unlike some others selling transmissions on this board. When I first put mine in, I had a problem with a funky vibration that I chased for about 2 weeks after it was installed. Narrowed it down to the trans. They shipped me a new one 2nd day no questions asked and at no cost whatsoever to me. That's what i call service!!