Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

POWDERCOAT THEM!!!! will turn out better and last longer
Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

powdercoating is over rated. i have both powdercoated and used wet coat for wheels. i prefer wet coat, its easier and can be done yourself and it also ALWAYS ends up up being better looking than powder. just sand your wheels, paint them with automotive paint and then clear them. ive done them both ways, just have someone wet coat them. thats how i did my black wheels and my brothers wheels
Old 10-09-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1998TA__1991RS
bad black ss--what kind of paint did you use?
I bought the paint in Advance Auto Parts i will get you the name in a while i still have these and nothing has chipped what so ever Just make sure you paint them on a HOT day so it will dry better
Old 10-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

POWDERCOAT!!!!
My 35th CETA W-S6 Rims are powdercoated and they are flawless
Old 10-10-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I sprayed mine and they turned out pretty good,

Old 10-10-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was under the impression that powder coating aluminum wheels weakens them greatly. Is this true?

I would like to see someone that took the time to polish some stock painted aluminum wheels.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out KsmySS on fast. Sporklover will know who I am talking about. He polished his painted ZR1's.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Just like paint, powder is a direct result of the preparation. You would not judge all paint jobs by the one that came was done by Macco would you?Powdercoat is not hard, but actually a softer compound than paint making it more durable than paint. When a rock hits powder, it actually absorbs impact. Just like paint, powdercoat must be prepped. If not properly done, yes it will chip, but that chip is a sign that the rest of the coating is just waiting to fall off. However, properly prepped metal will adhere powder much better, and will not chip. Sandblasting will not even take proper coating off, it just "pushes" the powder out of the way until you see metal. We use a torch to burn powder off when it is properly prepped. The proper way to prep metal for powder is to strip it down to bare metal, then sandblast with a light grit. It is important to note, that like paint, you should handle all bare metal with latex gloves on as the oils from your skin will affect proper adheresion. Powder must also be stored correctly at a certain temp. (think refrigerator), as well as many other factors that stem from the powdercoating equipment. If you stay away from shops with a "production" setup, you will have much better results. Unfortunatley many items powdercoated that are mass produced are not prepped. Time is money and consumers would not be able to tell the difference as the final product gives the same appearence. Also, many production shops use lower grades of powder. Like paint, ther are quality paints, as well as more economical ones. Proper powder will appear with just a hint of fisheye as the electric charge used to adhere the powder will only charge as uniformly as the metal is. Try a specialty shop that specializes in custom powdercoating. Many of these shops will carry non production colors such as pearls, flake and candies. In addition, powder can also be done over powder for added durability. I am not trying to say that powder is for everyone, but do not judge all powder jobs as the same.