Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Damnit nail in Drag Radial!!!!! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Damnit nail in Drag Radial!!!!! Need advice

Ok, so I'm messing around this afternoon and I walked over to my Nittos in the corner of the garage and noticed one of them had a nail in it!!!! It's in the tread on the very outside Can this be safely repaired? I know I can stick a plug in there, but I wonder if that'll be good enough considering the burnouts and such. Anybody have any experiences?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen about two weeks after I got mine on. If it is that close to the edge I would say don't plug it. The shop I took mine to wouldn't do it and they really wouldn't do it after I described what I'd be putting the tire through.

You can always have a shop look and see... prob not what you wanted to hear I know
Old 03-23-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

By edge I mean in the center of the last tread block.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

you may be able to use a plug/patch these work pretty good its a plug and a patch together. but if its on the side wall the tire is pretty much junk. I would not trust it at high speed. I use the plug/patch at a mechanic shop where I use to work.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replies so far fellas. It's NOT on the sidewall, so that plug/patch may be the way to go. The tires aren't mounted so nows a good time to get it checked out before I'm ready for them when the mods start. Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I had a nitto on my old 95Z that got a screw in it a couple days before I was supposed to go to the National F-body meet in Memphis in 2002. I had a plug put in it, drove the car to Memphis(300miles). did this to the tires, did more of that in the hotel parking lot, and then raced a 99 SS the majority of the way home. The tire lasted another couple months and then it went bald.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Patch it . . . on the plug . . .
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

I used a plug/patch. Not the old style rubber pull through plug.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I often think about wheter to patch a tire on any of my cars,
and I never do because a tire is cheaper then an a tow as I dont carry a spare (in my car) or an accident with the tire coming apart and tearing up my car or losing control on the highway.

Is the price of a tire worth more then my life and the lives of people who ride with me
not a chance.

as a side note Average every day driver car I would patch a rear tire but not a front.
I would never want to lose either front or rear on the k5 flat tire at speed with 35inch tires =7 inch drop on one corner = roll over
and the hawk I just dont want to tear it up

remeber this is just my opinion. I wont plug tires at work either
Old 03-25-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well my opinion is why chance wrecking your car or getting hurt over a damn tire. Any type of nail or screw in a drag radial or slick shouldn't be patched in my opinion, because of what could happend if the tire blew out. Just dump the cash and get another one.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Heah Bri, Looks like everyone is leanign towards you gettin gnew tires....LMAO I don't know much about Nitto's or DR's, but I would definitely think hard about this one bud. You got a jewel on yer hands.....Would REALLY suck to put a blemish on her....

Neil.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I just had this same thing happen to me a few hours ago. I pulled my WS6 out of the garage and what do i find but a flat nitto. So the concensus is that a patch isnt the way to go then i guess.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Your only smart thing to do here is pull the tire off the rim and PATCH IT!! A plug wont last a week!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the best option would be a new tire but if you have to do something with it patch it and it should be alright. We use patches at work all the time.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ta12sec
I often think about wheter to patch a tire on any of my cars,
and I never do because a tire is cheaper then an a tow as I dont carry a spare (in my car) or an accident with the tire coming apart and tearing up my car or losing control on the highway.

Is the price of a tire worth more then my life and the lives of people who ride with me
not a chance.

as a side note Average every day driver car I would patch a rear tire but not a front.
I would never want to lose either front or rear on the k5 flat tire at speed with 35inch tires =7 inch drop on one corner = roll over
and the hawk I just dont want to tear it up

remeber this is just my opinion. I wont plug tires at work either
you cant think about it that way though. It is extremely common for a car to hit a nail in the road and blow the sidewall out. I nail in the right spot can shift a belt in the tire and blow it. If you hit a nail at the right spot or hit something somewhat large with your K5 it will lose all air pressure in about 3 seconds which could make you flip. just use your best judgement when it comes to repairing tires. I patched my 285\30 18 Michelin Pilots which are Z rated and the lasted another 8K. Also dont forget that patching a speed rated tire makes it no longer a speed rated tire. thats why most places like Pep Boys and Sears or Midas wont patch a Z rated tire. Good luck with it.

P.S. thats how longs it been since i have posted here. Look at the pic in my signature. Just noticed that. HAHAHA
Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

I never plug tires at all. THat is not a safe thing to do. If the nail cut into the sidewall get a new tire. If not then just patch it and call it good. A patch, done right, will last as long as the tire.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one thing u have to keep in mind is that when patching several tires the tire manufacturer will tell u the tire no longer retains its speed rating...not sure about nitto because i dont work with them except on my own vehicle. i patch tires all day long and hardly ever have one come back if u use an insert and patch combo. its very reliable. but i would keep hawk eyes on it if u plan on abusing the tire. (burnouts etc)
Old 05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've probably put 20 plugs in tires and never had a problem with a single one. I'm not sure what everyone is stressing so much about this solution. I think you are less likely to have a problem with the plug (if you install it right) then to run over something and get an actual blow out. My opinion.

Brian
Old 05-28-2005, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say get it patched. me personally i would pay the 10 to fix rather than the $300 or so for a new DR. i had mine patched and it's lasted through many of burnouts, doughnuts and daily 100+runs also a few 150+runs.

Quick Reply: Damnit nail in Drag Radial!!!!! Need advice