Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

American Racing Sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default American Racing Sucks!!!

I bought a set of Torque Thrust 2's (17x9.5 & 17x11) from Ron's Rims about a month ago, 2 weeks ago I put them on. I torqued them down to 100 ft/lbs. and re-torqued them after 100 miles. About 400 miles later I was driving back to school and my car started weaving on the highway at 90mph, so I pulled over because I though I had a flat tire. I get out and see no flat tire, so I figrue maybe I messed up the algienment, so I get back on the highway. About 3 seconds later the car gets out of control, so I quickly pull off again and see my driver side, rear wheel hanging off! I look closer and see 2 studs completely broke off, 2 lug nuts you could spin with your fingers, and one lug was holding the wheel on. So I got a tow truck and had it towed to some little garage out in the middle of nowhere and they fix my studs for $190. Also 3 of the holes were rounded out, so the rim was wrecked. When I ask them what happen they said some of the lugs where not tightening correctly, they pulled 5 other lugs around the car and replaced them. The next day I call American Racing, and they say to contact Dan Nemes at the Ohio location, and send a letter of what happened, a receipt for the wheels and the repair bill. A week and a half goes by and I never hear from A.R., so I call Nemes today and he refuses to do anything because I put the wheels on myself, I told him I have put on several wheels in my life and they were torqued to factory spec, he tells me he won't do anything. So I have to say American Racing has some terrible customer service, the least they could do is give me a new wheel after their lugnuts almost got me killed.

Last edited by WIKDWS6; 03-31-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

SOunds like typical Corp BS. If there is an out (legally) they will use it. It prob says somewhere in the materials f(fine print) for the wheels that they have to be installed by a licensed shop to perform said functions.

It's not worth a legal battle for you... just make sure your voice is heard as you are doing on this forum. I would also contact the Better Business Office for that area and let them know.

Now if you had been hurt.... that would be a different story.

I too bought my rims from Ron's. No Probs so far, but only have about 50 miles on 'em. They are a stand up operation as far as I know. You may want to contact them and see if they can help you replace the wheel at the very least.

Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something doesn't sound right here . . .

I think to come onto a public forum with a slanderous statement of AR S&*ks, is pretty rude.

AR sells hundreds of wheels, and it sounds like something went wrong, what? who knows . . .

Was there possibly installation error?
Were the lug studs weakened from a prior event?
Were they the correct lugs?

Can you PROVE that the wheels were the culpret?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

I've had my TT2s on the car for almost a year, on and off a couple times I did myself. No problems here
Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WIKDWS6
I bought a set of Torque Thrust 2's (17x9.5 & 17x11) from Ron's Rims about a month ago, 2 weeks ago I put them on. I torqued them down to 100 ft/lbs. and re-torqued them after 100 miles. About 400 miles later I was driving back to school and my car started weaving on the highway at 90mph, so I pulled over because I though I had a flat tire. I get out and see no flat tire, so I figrue maybe I messed up the algienment, so I get back on the highway. About 3 seconds later the car gets out of control, so I quickly pull off again and see my driver side, rear wheel hanging off! I look closer and see 2 studs completely broke off, 2 lug nuts you could spin with your fingers, and one lug was holding the wheel on. So I got a tow truck and had it towed to some little garage out in the middle of nowhere and they fix my studs for $190. Also 3 of the holes were rounded out, so the rim was wrecked. When I ask them what happen they said some of the lugs where not locking down correctly, they pulled 5 other lugs around the car and replaced them. The next day I call American Racing, and they say to contact Dan Nemes at the Ohio location, and send a letter of what happened, a receipt for the wheels and the repair bill. A week and a half goes by and I never hear from A.R., so I call Nemes today and he refuses to do anything because I put the wheels on myself, I told him I have put on several wheels in my life and they were torqued to factory spec, he tells me he won't do anything. So I have to say American Racing has some terrible customer service, the least they could do is give me a new wheel after their lugnuts almost got me killed.

Not to be a jerk, but 100 Ft/lbs for aluminum rims seems high?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea no kidding, dont wanna rain on your parade, but sounds like it was something in the studs not the wheels. Never heard of a wheel ****** up the studs or the lugs.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

100 ft lbs should be fine keep in mind your stock wheels are aluminum too.

Are the lugnuts actually AR brand because i highly doubt it. It doesnt even matter but what does matter is that the seat of the lugnut matches the seat of the wheel. For example, all Enkei wheels are conical seat, as are most tuner lugnuts. Use the 2 together and you should be fine.

Maybe after on, off, on, off, your wheel studs finally fatigued. It happened to me after switching to slicks at the track numerous times. It looked like i had cross threaded the lug nut but i hadnt.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats an installer problem, not an american racing problem.

who ever installed them didnt use the correct lugs, didnt torque them properly, didnt remove the brake retaining clips, or didnt do something else correctly that they should have.

i sell/install all kinds of american racing wheels and never had a problem.

btw lug nuts dont "lock down" they just tighten like any other nut
Old 03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

From what it looks like to me is the lugnuts that came directly from American Racing where the problem, I've put several wheels on my car with no problems. I blame American Racing for their poor customer service and little concern about a serious problem. I was quite pleased with the wheels themselves, but if they had some defective lugnuts, they need to take some responsibility.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

what exactly is a defective lugnut?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought TT2s also and I've pulled them off and put them on several times and never had a problem. In fact I know a ton of Fbody people with TT2s and none of them have had a problem either. I don't see how its ARs fault if you installed the wheels and if the wheel didn't cause the problem. I say if you can prove that the wheels are at fault then you have a case but blaming the lugnuts doesn't hold up too well. What style lug nuts are they and like what was said above how is lugnut defective?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

These are the acorn style lugnuts A.R. gives you when you purchase TT2's, and a lugnut could be defective if it is not tapped properly. The part about the lugnuts having problems is what the mechanic told me. I can tell you I'm not sure what happened exactly to cause this situation, but it is not because I put the wheels on wrong. Tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you were in this situation. I have never heard of a wheel coming off either, but it happened.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

i would be pissed, but i wouldnt try to blame someone else if i did something wrong, id be pissed at myself

if the lug was the wrong thread it wouldnt have gone on at all and still would have been your fault for forcing it on
Old 03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

that sucks, typicall b.s. from a corporate office
Old 04-01-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

well if it wasnt tapped correctly it would have never gone on without forcing it. I would be pissed too but not at AR I would be pissed with myself. Did you remove the clips off of the rotors so the wheels would sit correctly? I still say there has to be something that you over looked when you put the wheels on. Maybe you over torqued the lugs and stripped them out and thats why they would just spin around
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the installer should have caught the problem, if the lugnuts were not fitting properly.

I think AR should take care of the problem if the wrong nuts were supplied or they were manufactured improperly (inclusions in material, wrong material, machined improperly etc.)
Old 04-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=209916

"The same thing is happening to my wheels as well. I have the same and it seems my lugs are always coming loose. One wheel stud was broken but was replaced. Is this a common problem I wonder?"
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems odd, any markings on the lug nut indicating the size and/or thread pattern?

Other questions . . . does the wheel sit flush on the rotor hat?
Does the seat on the wheel look similar to the seat of the OEM wheel?
What if you tried the OEM lugs?
If you remove the center cap, is the wheel tight to the hub ring?

I'm not denying that there is an issue, it' be nice to "narrow" down some of the issues . . . .
Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you torque the wheel with the suspension loaded? Wrong nuts or not if they torqued to 100lb they arent gonna gon anywhere, Did you run them on with an. impact and cross thread them all? I have driven around for at least 15k miles on 4 lug nuts on my blazer with a 6 lug axle and never lost a wheel. Soemthings fishy here and its not the wheels
Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Not to be a jerk, but 100 Ft/lbs for aluminum rims seems high?

I think I only do my ttII's to 75ftlbs on my 71 rsz

Quick Reply: American Racing Sucks!!!