Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need help buying rear tires for my 2003 S2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying rear tires for my 2003 S2000

Hello, I'm far from an expert when it comes to cars, so I need some advice buying tires. I have a stock 2003 Honda S2000, and the Potenza S-02's that came with it are pretty much bald after 17k miles. Previously, I've always bought Yokohama's, though I've also never had a car quite like this one. Anyways, I've done some pricing on Tire Rack, as well as talked to guys at Discount Tire and Just Tires. I was looking at the Yokohama ES 100's and Avid V4s, and the Kumho 712's, though the discount tire guy said that the Kumho's would wear out too soon and he didn't have much experience with the Yoko's, and he recommended the Falken 512's.

My buddy that used to work at Just Tires said either the Falken or the Yoko's would be fine, though he recommended I stay away from the Kumho's. So, I called Just Tires, and the guy I talked to there said that the Falken's were horrible, and the Kumho's would be better than either set of the Yoko's. He also suggested either the BFG Sport Gforce or the Fuzions. Mixed reviews are a pain..

I'm looking to stay in the $250 range for the pair, and I'm just looking for a tire with good handling that will last at least 20k. I don't drive too agressive, but I'd still like to be able to get up and go when I need to. Can anyone provide some good feedback that will help me make a decision?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kuhmo makes a nice inexpesive tire, I prefer the MX's but it is fairly heavy.
Yoko, makes good tires.
Falken are OK, although I have no experience.
BFG makes a great tire although a little pricey.
Fusion is a newer tire on the market, but has been getting pretty good reviews.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

You might browse TireRack's website a little bit. They have some extensive customer reviews as well as some limited test data. I've found it to be pretty helpful over the years.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Default tirerack

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
You might browse TireRack's website a little bit. They have some extensive customer reviews as well as some limited test data. I've found it to be pretty helpful over the years.
I've read a bunch of reviews on the Yoko's and Kumho's on Tire Rack. They both got pretty decent reviews, though some complained about the tread life of the Yoko's. Just Tires will install the Fuzion's for $250 total, everything including the road hazard warranty. They said they'd match the Discount Tire price on the Kumho's, $233 for everything. I'd never even heard about the Fuzion's, though they sound like a pretty good deal. I've stuck with Yoko's with all of my previous cars, though I'm not sure if they will have the same great standard with performance tires as they did for my previous cars since they didn't use quite the same tire.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LuvMyS2K
I've read a bunch of reviews on the Yoko's and Kumho's on Tire Rack. They both got pretty decent reviews, though some complained about the tread life of the Yoko's. Just Tires will install the Fuzion's for $250 total, everything including the road hazard warranty. They said they'd match the Discount Tire price on the Kumho's, $233 for everything. I'd never even heard about the Fuzion's, though they sound like a pretty good deal. I've stuck with Yoko's with all of my previous cars, though I'm not sure if they will have the same great standard with performance tires as they did for my previous cars since they didn't use quite the same tire.

Bump. Anyone else have some input here?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Teching In

i luv the Falken Azenis RT-215's on my dc4 integra... near r-compound tyre for about half the price of the oem michelin's... im looking at getting the new RT-615's on my 04 GTO, since they're available in 18"s now...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my homeboy said Falken Zex's last pretty long, perfect for non aggressive driving and are affordable. you could try those, they work pretty well for his hatch. Also he runs azenis and is very happy with them. My sisters ws6 had azenis too and they hugged pretty well.