Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Max difference in inches for front and rear tires w/ out abs light comming on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max difference in inches for front and rear tires w/ out abs light comming on?

165R15,Im currently running this tires on my skinnies and running 28x11.5x15 e/t streets and my abs inop light and brake light comes on w/ this combo (CO245 WSS frequency error)...Im also waiting on my 18x9.5/19x10.5 inch wheels from Iforged and looking for the right height tires so that the abs light wont come on...right now Im looking @ 305/3019 for the rears (26.3") and 275/3518 (25.7") I know this combo wont mess w/ the EBCM w/ this combo the rear tires are .6" taller than the fronts...BUT I dont like the Idea of having more sidewall upfront than outback...Im trying to figure out if 295/3519 (27") and 275/3518 (25.7) would make the abs inop light come on? w/ this combo the rear tires are 1.3" taller than the front... so whats the MAX differance on front and rear tires we can go w/ without the abs lights comming on? thanks

Mark
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for not responding to my PM about this Mark!

I don't know an exact answer but if you logically think about it you can guess pretty good. If an average tire has 10/32" tread depth (.312") and wears until it is bald then the tire is .312" x 2 smaller in OD or .625" than when it was new. Consider the fact the someone might run 2 brand new tires (front) and 2 near bald tires (rear) then the OD difference would be .625" from front to rear and that is just by using the same tire sizes on all for wheels (just with different tread depths). GM would not want the ABS INOP light to come on with shuch little difference in OD. Then think about people running staggered tire sizes like myself with a larger rear tire OD and different tread depths from wearing the rear tires out faster (gee how would anyone do that ) w/o the ABS light turning on.

So my guess would be that you could easially run a tire that was 1" to 1.25" taller in OD from fron to rear w/o any problems. Any set of tires with a larger difference in OD than that would start to look goofy on our cars IMO.

Hope that helps a little and maybe someone else has the exact answer to your question.

Greg
Old 06-09-2005, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

No problem Gregg...Ok I just found out the exact height for my front runners and my e/t streets...my 28x11.5x15 are 27.6" tall and my skinnies 165r15 are 25.6"...so the tire height diffrence between this 2 are 2"....so If I go w/ the 295/3519 27" and 275/3518 25.6" Ill have a 1.4" diffrence.....do you think the 1.4" difference will trigger the light?

If it helps, when I logged on Tech 2 and drove my car around and watch the mph between the front and rear sensors...the abs inop light and brake light would come on if there was a 5mph diffrence between front and back sensors...common guys really need help on this...dont wanna buy the 295/3519 and get stock w/ the abs light being on....

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Sorry for not responding to my PM about this Mark!

I don't know an exact answer but if you logically think about it you can guess pretty good. If an average tire has 10/32" tread depth (.312") and wears until it is bald then the tire is .312" x 2 smaller in OD or .625" than when it was new. Consider the fact the someone might run 2 brand new tires (front) and 2 near bald tires (rear) then the OD difference would be .625" from front to rear and that is just by using the same tire sizes on all for wheels (just with different tread depths). GM would not want the ABS INOP light to come on with shuch little difference in OD. Then think about people running staggered tire sizes like myself with a larger rear tire OD and different tread depths from wearing the rear tires out faster (gee how would anyone do that ) w/o the ABS light turning on.

So my guess would be that you could easially run a tire that was 1" to 1.25" taller in OD from fron to rear w/o any problems. Any set of tires with a larger difference in OD than that would start to look goofy on our cars IMO.

Hope that helps a little and maybe someone else has the exact answer to your question.

Greg
Old 06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SS LS1
. . . So my guess would be that you could easially run a tire that was 1" to 1.25" taller in OD from fron to rear w/o any problems. Any set of tires with a larger difference in OD than that would start to look goofy on our cars IMO. . . .
Thats a pretty major diff in OD, I'd play safe and say less than 1" OD diff. . .

Suck to find out the hard way . . . .
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I concur - you'll be pretty safe if you stay under 1" difference, try to stick with .750 diff , front to back
Old 06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 27 w/stock diameter front will cause ABS to activate. For that matter, ABS activates often at the track w/similar diameters front to rear.

Instead of attempting to work around ABS, just remove it. It is more of trouble then it's worth. It is of no benifit to your setup. Removing it will take ~10-13lbs off not to mention clean up your engine bay quite a bit.

We manufacture an ABS delete kit that enables you to completely remove the ABS bracket as well as the modulator. THe kit also includes a line lock as well as a proportioning valve to bias the front/rear pressures w/different tire combonations.

It will clean up quite a bit of space in your engine compartment also. Without ABS on the car, you will not feel any difference in your normal everday braking. If you've never felt your brake pedal pulse under your feet, then you've never even used your ABS system.

Steve
Old 06-11-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by steve10
A 27 w/stock diameter front will cause ABS to activate. For that matter, ABS activates often at the track w/similar diameters front to rear.

Instead of attempting to work around ABS, just remove it. It is more of trouble then it's worth. It is of no benifit to your setup. Removing it will take ~10-13lbs off not to mention clean up your engine bay quite a bit.

We manufacture an ABS delete kit that enables you to completely remove the ABS bracket as well as the modulator. THe kit also includes a line lock as well as a proportioning valve to bias the front/rear pressures w/different tire combonations.

It will clean up quite a bit of space in your engine compartment also. Without ABS on the car, you will not feel any difference in your normal everday braking. If you've never felt your brake pedal pulse under your feet, then you've never even used your ABS system.

Steve
Steve,

Do you have any pictures of the ABS Delete kit istalled? You have grabbed my interest with this and the different tire sizes. Thanks!

Ben Bradford

Quick Reply: Max difference in inches for front and rear tires w/ out abs light comming on?