Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ruined Wheel Finish, what are options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ruined Wheel Finish, what are options?

Hey Guys,

Pulled a real smart one doing my brake job. I sprayed off some parts with brake cleaner on the side of my driveway and then a few minutes later took the other tire off and set it in the grass where there was still wet cleaner. /Bonk. Wheels are stock silver(not chrome) SS 10 spokes. The finish is pitted and discolored, like they are really dirty from brake dust. I was wondering if I could could get the discoloration out with sanding or polishing and live with the little pits until I get some new wheels. I don't want to put a lot of resources because I plan on making these a winter season wheel next spring and get some better looking wheels for summer. I hate the flat look these wheels have. Any info would help, thanks.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Strip stock paint.

Sand.

Paint black.

Enjoy.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-05-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed..
Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a product called VHT Stripfast that I've used on a couple of polishing projects I've done and the stuff works AWESOME. It sprays on instead of having to be brushed on or dipped like alot of the aircraft paint removers out there. If you end up using this stuff, I recommend that you wrap the wheel in some plastic Gladwrap to speed up the stripping process and also cut down on fumes. Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah one more thing I forgot to tell you! DO NOT try to use paint stripping chemicals on your wheels if the tires are still mounted. Some of these chemicals on the market are so caustic that even if you're super meticulous in applying it to the wheel and manage to not get any on the rubber, the fumes that the chemicals emit can still do damage. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the tips guys. Not sure if I like the black idea. I do like Black wheels on Black camaros, but not sure how these wheels would look black. I am concerned about getting the one wheel to match the other 3 again, so doing all 4 would remedy that. Hmmm, decisions. Well, I have about a month before I'll be doing anything, moving to help open the new Audi dealership in Lexington, KY so atleast I'll have the mounting/balancing equipment handy. Thanks again.