Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ordered my Bogarts today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered my Bogarts today!

Well, just the front two for now. They won't be ready until about 5 weeks though. I'm sure they're worth the wait though. I'm getting 15x4 SS fronts and have read there are a few guys running VW 165r/15 tires on them. I think I read these are the cheapest tires (about $60 for the pair?), but where do you guys buy them from? I've looked online for them, and can't seem to come up with anything. Any local places I can go to that carry them? Do I just tell them I need a pair of VW 165r/15 tires?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pepboys usually has them, discount tires can get them

just tell them like you said, 165R15 VW tires. sometimes there are a couple load ratings, try to get the extra loads, they have a max air pressure of 44 psi and can hold a little more weight
Old 07-09-2005, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Right on man. my last set of bogarts were SS's. Awesome wheels. If I were you, spend the money on some Mickey Thompson front runners.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Derek98z
Right on man. my last set of bogarts were SS's. Awesome wheels. If I were you, spend the money on some Mickey Thompson front runners.
Do they last longer or are they safer than the VW's? Those wheels do look nice.

If they're too expensive, I'll probably just opt for the VW's from Pepboys.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I just got my 4 Bogarts.

I ordered the ET Streets for the rears and M/T for the fronts.

The M/T fronts are lighter and are rated for higher speeds
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

the m/t sportsman 8 plys are heavier than the vw tires and about 4x's as expensive

if they are track only wheels i would put some moroso ds2's on there, but they will not do well on the street.

if you will run them on the street every once in a while i would run the mt 8plys or the vw tires
Old 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

I know you will be very happy with your wheels!

The MT 1573 sportsman is ~19lbs, is speed and load rated and a MATCH (bias ply) for a et street rear tire.

The VW tire, depending on which you choose is a radial, weighs 16-18lbs, not matched for et streets nor speed rated...depending on the model, one is ~85mph and the other is ~105mph, it is also different in diameter then a stock setup (typically 25.2-25.4...stock is ~26), this can set ABS to activate more often. They are also meant generally for wheels 4.5-6" in width.

The MT-1572 is ~16 lbs, is speed rated though load rated to ~3000lbs. It is a MATCH for an et street.

The Moroso DS2 or ET drag runner is a MATCH for ET Street, weighs ~12 lbs, is load and speed rated but is not DOT legal.

There are advantages/disadvantages to all the above.

Personally, if I had wanted a primarily street setup, I’d choose the MT-1573. If weight is a concern, the MT-1572 would be my personal next choice for everyday street use...I would not consider a VW tire. The only advantage of the VW tire is cost.

Why choose the MT-1572 over the VW tire? If I wanted to take the risks of a tire failing, I would feel more secure using the MT-1572. Both VW and MT-1572 tires do not meet the requirements of our cars in one category or another. The only category the MT-1572 fails is they are load rated to ~3000lbs, many F-bodies average seems to be ~3400lbs. Weighing the benefits of a matched tire, speed rated, similar weight (lighter in some circumstances then the VW tire) outweighs the only benefit of cost regarding the VW tire. Personally, I think the VW tire looks like a cheap radial VW tire and looks odd on an F-body especially when running ET streets.

The MT-1572, 1573 and VW tire will all last quite a bit of time...~1-2 years.

The Moroso DS2 or ET drag runner has many benefits that outweigh the others; they truly are a drag tire made for off-road use. I certainly wouldn't want to use them for everyday use but would feel comfortable using them on occasional driving on the streets...i.e. Saturday or Sunday cruiser. Weight loss is substantial as well as weight transfer and frictional constraints and rotational loss.

Last edited by steve10; 07-10-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Awesome Steve, thanks for the advice! It really helps answer most of my questions. I'll be patiently waiting for my wheels to be ready.