Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need More Traction: MT DR Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need More Traction: MT DR Question

I run 17" ROH Snyper wheels on the street. I have an extra set of 16" Z28 salad shooter wheels that I use as track tires. My car has a baby T1 cam and a 4000 stall with 3.42 gears. Putting down around 330-340 RWHP. I need great traction at the track, and being able to go WOT in first gear on the street would be fun too (useless now on these Kumhos). The car is a weekend sunny weather car, but I do get caught in the rain from time to time. I drive the car roughly 6000 miles a year max with a few trips to the track. I like carving corners also, so thats something to consider.

Should I stay on street tires and run the MT DRs on the spare set of wheels, or should I just ditch the spare set of wheels all together and just get the 17" MT DRs as a street/strip tire? Roughly how many miles are you guys getting out of these and how do they do in the corners? Thanks a ton for any help.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

If you only get caught in rain around town you'll be fine. A hard rain on the highway would not be very fun though. You'll probrably only see about 5K miles out of them on the street being real easy on them, it all depends on how much you go to the track and how big of a burnout you do. Mine will be junk at about 2,500 miles. As for handling, my 275/50/15 handle pretty good, alot more stable than a E/T Street is. I imagine on a 16-17" wheel they would handle pretty good for what they are but I wouldn't be road racing with them.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Good deal. I ran a search but all I came up with were old questions on when the 17" version would be available. I think I'll probably just keep street tires as I mainly do highway driving, and rain would be rough as would replacing tires twice a year, and pick up a set of these for the track wheels.