Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

gs d3s the verdict

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have GS-D3's in the 275/315 set. Best tires I've ever used. I love the fact that I don't have to slow down when it rains.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
How many miles can you get out of the Nitto 555R IIs? I want to run the GSD3s up front since they should last longer.
I've got about 6K miles on mine and they are about halfway done.
Used them as my daily wheels for a few months then got some street wheels and tires and now just use them to drive to and from auto-x events.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I finally replaced my fronts with the GSD3's. First of all, the 315 is a bit wide for it's size, but the 275 is a tad small for it's size - tread that is. My Nitto 555RII's 275's had about 1/2" wider tread than the GSD3's. Wierd, huh?

Overall they work well. They grip well, ride smooth, brake well, etc...
There's just one big problem, the feel. They feel like marshmellows. If you care more about ride quality than handling feel, then they are great. I prefer a tire that responds quickly to the steering wheel.

I tried 35, 40, 43 and now 45psi cold pressures and they still feel soft. They have a kind of delay to them. You turn the wheel and it takes a fraction of a second and then the car responds, but not as quickly as it should. Then you have to over correct a little to straighten it up. I ran my previous tires at 40psi cold and they were very quick and stable feeling. I'm actually quite surprised by all this.

Anyone else have any input on the GSD3?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

noisy as hell are my thoughts on those Goodyear F1s
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cop Car
There's a few F1's, you mean the GSD3?
I didn't notice much noise, but my car is a bit noisy anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Has anyone noticed if the GS-D3s run wider than they are advertised? I believe I have read before that these run wide....Is a 285/35/18 tire too thin for an 18x11 wheel?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

You can't possibly mean the GSD3s, do you? Mine are whisper quiet. If you are talking about the original F1s that came on the car stock, then I'd agree. They wail like mudders!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Mine D3's seemed to make more noise on concrete than my KDW's did...

FWIW the max (cold) inflation in the D3's are like 51 psi. That's probly why they feel sloppy. Bump your pressure up.... I ran mine at 51 psi and that helped alot. They still didnt react like the KDW's...but the KDW's are designed a little differently.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Has anyone noticed if the GS-D3s run wider than they are advertised? I believe I have read before that these run wide....Is a 285/35/18 tire too thin for an 18x11 wheel?
Did you see my earlier post? The 315 is wider, the 275 is narrower. So there is no consistency. You may have to order a 285/35/18 and compare it to your current tire. Or even have one mounted and see how it looks.
Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
FWIW the max (cold) inflation in the D3's are like 51 psi. That's probly why they feel sloppy.
The max pressure is only intended for the installer in order to seat the bead without blowing the tire apart. It has nothing to do with the tire pressure you should use while driving. Almost every passenger car tire has a max around 50psi or so.
Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
Bump your pressure up.... I ran mine at 51 psi and that helped alot. They still didnt react like the KDW's...but the KDW's are designed a little differently.
So far I am at 48psi cold and they still don't react quickly. They do ride rougher than my older tires and the grip is falling off as I increase the pressure. Overall this is bad, bad. I may have to sell these and buy some more 555RII's and run them at 40psi again. The ride is smoother, the grip is better and the car reacts very quickly.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fran D
You can't possibly mean the GSD3s, do you? Mine are whisper quiet. If you are talking about the original F1s that came on the car stock, then I'd agree. They wail like mudders!
i have worn GSs on my car and they are silent compared to my friends GSD3s. SOOOOO LOUD
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

i have worn GSs on my car and they are silent compared to my friends GSD3s. SOOOOO LOUD
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got a bad molding.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with JJasonww. Check out this months car and driver mag, they rate the gsd3 as the best street ultra high performance tire on the market, they didnt include drag radials or race tires though. I have not experienced Nitto's yet, but do plan on tying gsd3's on the front and drag radials on the rear for street use. Right now all I drive on is Kumho victoracers which are great when warmed up. I also only drive this car when autocrossing, I drive to events only, (never trailered) and occasionally drive the car on weekends for fun. The kumho 712 tires on stock rims are like driving on ice to me. The kumho victoracers are getting pretty hard now after 2 years of AX, so im driving them around on the street. Ill tell you though, when they are warm they hook as good or better than the drag radials I have used in the past. Temperature really changes a tires characteristics. I will buy kumho victoracer tires again, even if to replace the drag radials.

Last edited by z28viperkiller; 11-08-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going to amend my earlier statement about them being quiet.

I closed my electric cutout, rolled the windows up, turned off the radio, cruised down the road and then pushed the clutch in. That's about as quiet as my car will get and I could hear a faint howl from the tires depending on the road surface. As I transitioned different surfaces the noise disappeared and returned.

Bottom line for me is that I can't hear them. Not with the windows down for sure. Putting it in gear also drowns it out.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=JasonWW]Did you see my earlier post? The 315 is wider, the 275 is narrower. So there is no consistency. You may have to order a 285/35/18 and compare it to your current tire. Or even have one mounted and see how it looks. [QUOTE]
Yes I read your earlier post, but I was confused if you were refering to depth or width....I know that doesn't make sense either, but I just wanted to clarify
Old 11-09-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I measured the tread width. The part that actually touches the ground. I figure that's the most important and it does factor in overall width as well.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28viperkiller
I agree with JJasonww. Check out this months car and driver mag, they rate the gsd3 as the best street ultra high performance tire on the market, they didnt include drag radials or race tires though. I have not experienced Nitto's yet, but do plan on tying gsd3's on the front and drag radials on the rear for street use. Right now all I drive on is Kumho victoracers which are great when warmed up. I also only drive this car when autocrossing, I drive to events only, (never trailered) and occasionally drive the car on weekends for fun. The kumho 712 tires on stock rims are like driving on ice to me. The kumho victoracers are getting pretty hard now after 2 years of AX, so im driving them around on the street. Ill tell you though, when they are warm they hook as good or better than the drag radials I have used in the past. Temperature really changes a tires characteristics. I will buy kumho victoracer tires again, even if to replace the drag radials.
At what air temp do the Victoracers give up and turn to blocks of ice (before they became heat cycle hardened)?? In other words, when new, can you still build any heat/grip in them when the outside air is 40 degrees or less??
Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I Heat cycled the tires manally by abusing them and letting them cool down completely a few times before actually using them for AX. First day out it was rainy with standing water (about 50degrees) and performed way better than any tire on the track. The next two races it still rained and I kept gaining trophies. Then the first dry hot day, they felt greasy hot towards the end of the run. They were definately best when new and cooler temps. Later when the tires got harder they worked better in the warmer temps. I think if I were to do it again, I might buy a set for the cold only and use worn ones for the hot days. The last race I had to smoke em a little to make em grip in the rear and push the front end during the first few turns to get some heat in em. Keep in mind this is only one set of victoracers in 2 full seasons of ax that I have experience with.

To add info, after 2 years in the NW weather, they still grip better than any street tire that I have owned. After about 1/4 mile of street driving they are warm enough to beat any street tire on the market, in my opinion.
With stock rear suspension they did increase wheel hop on accell when cool, but stiffer lca's cured that and, when warm impresses me.

Last edited by z28viperkiller; 11-10-2005 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

I got in contact with Goodyear, and they are working on a 295/35/18

They are shooting for the 1st quarter of 06......I guess these will do, it will be a little "tight" on an 18x11 wheels...we'll see
Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I got in contact with Goodyear, and they are working on a 295/35/18

They are shooting for the 1st quarter of 06......I guess these will do, it will be a little "tight" on an 18x11 wheels...we'll see
That gives you enough time to get the tubs in.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28viperkiller
I Heat cycled the tires manally by abusing them and letting them cool down completely a few times before actually using them for AX. First day out it was rainy with standing water (about 50degrees) and performed way better than any tire on the track. The next two races it still rained and I kept gaining trophies. Then the first dry hot day, they felt greasy hot towards the end of the run. They were definately best when new and cooler temps. Later when the tires got harder they worked better in the warmer temps. I think if I were to do it again, I might buy a set for the cold only and use worn ones for the hot days. The last race I had to smoke em a little to make em grip in the rear and push the front end during the first few turns to get some heat in em. Keep in mind this is only one set of victoracers in 2 full seasons of ax that I have experience with.

To add info, after 2 years in the NW weather, they still grip better than any street tire that I have owned. After about 1/4 mile of street driving they are warm enough to beat any street tire on the market, in my opinion.
With stock rear suspension they did increase wheel hop on accell when cool, but stiffer lca's cured that and, when warm impresses me.
Thanks! Now I wonder how the Toyo RA1s work in the street/cold weather (hopefully better than the same treadwear rated Nitto R2s!!).