Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Running skinnies now the brakes get hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running skinnies now the brakes get hot.

As in the title. Also I am getting a lot of brake fade, and I have Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, and Stainless steel brake lines. The brakes stay hot for 1/2 hr or longer. Any suggestions.. or is this common? The rims in question are Weld draglites.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Import Patrol

Something does not seem right with that. With the skinnies it is a sig, drop in wheel weight, requiring less stress on the front brakes. The only thing I could think of is, the skinnies produce less friction or the tire produces less friction than the stock tire. Meaning if you were to roll each wheel independently the skinny would keep rolling when the stock tire would slow down faster. With less friction the brakes would need to work harder to stop the wheel. But I would think that the decrease in weight would even that out.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheels centers from the wheels you chose have inherently less air flow due the smaller size in addition the wheels do not have a very large open design.

You could try another brand of pads, it may help.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't get any brake fade with my Prostars. They allow alot more air to circulate though. Probalby depends on how you're braking as well. I use the brake pedal as lightly as I can, but that's just my driving style.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

I guess I could try another pad, but if the wheels aren't allowing air to flow to the caliper won't it do the samething? I can't believe I am the only one having this problem. When I have my Fiskes on, I never had a problem. I guess I just better pray I'll be able to stop on a 130-135 mph trap.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

I would also think the draglites don't get enough air to the caliper.

As a cheap experiment, maybe run some tubing from the front of the car (faux cooling ducts) to coo the brakes. See if this helps. It should tell you then if it is or not because of heat/cooling.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

I have thought about that, and its a very good idea. I'm just surprised no one else has had this problem... and if they are why wouldn't they post about it?