Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I drove on my bogarts daily when I had my camaro. Must have been a freak accident.
Those are still on the street and looking damn good I might add
Old 08-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Default wtf

Where you taking turns @ 180 or what? sorry about your wheels bro
Old 08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
LMAO!! look what type of tire he was using.
From what I can tell, he was using Mickey Thompson sportman fronts? Is there something wrong with that? Aren't they speed and load rated for our cars? I know it's not on an f-body, but still.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
dug
Banned

Its a heavy fuckn tire mounted on the lightest rim. Itd be much lighter to have a 165 metric radial on a welds instead the MT fronts and bogarts.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

That's exactly what the Bogarts looked like when the guy @ North v/s South wrecked and hit the wall, they split directly in half. But it took a tremendous hit to do that to them.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
Its a heavy fuckn tire mounted on the lightest rim. Itd be much lighter to have a 165 metric radial on a welds instead the MT fronts and bogarts.
The MT-1573 tire is load and speed rated, it really is not any different in advertised weight compared to a VW tire. VW tires are speed rated @85mph and 105mph and vary from 16-19 lbs depending on the speed rating. They are RADIALS...which are NOT a match for an ET Street or Drag tire...

IF the lighter tire is preferred...since VW tires are not speed rated for our cars by any means...I would feel more comfortable using even the MT-1572 which is 16 lbs the same as the lightest VW tire. The MT-1572 is load rated to 3000 lbs, since our cars are not much heavier..it seems like the better of two evils. Many folks lighten their car up anways which brings them much closer to the weight limited car.

If weight is a big concern, then the best choice is a Moroso DS2 or MT ET drag runner which both are only 12 lbs each.

A radial tire will generally place greater stress on the wheel shells...

Steve
Old 08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Good info there from Steve. I'd also like to know more about everything leading up to the point of the rim splitting. Did he maybe hit a curb or possibly even hit a speed bump a little fast. Who knows if the rim wasn't damaged prior to it falling apart? Also as Steve stated earlier, for all the sets of Bogarts produced and sold having everyone on this thread saying this is only the first or for some even only the second time of seeing this, in my opinion that is pretty damn good. I wish I could say that for a few other products that I have bought and installed on my car. I feel bad for the guy it happened to and thats about it, I'm not too worried about mine doing the same thing anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a Weld Draglite front runner crack on that same inner bead before. I used to run them on the street all the time, and they started leaking after a while. Took the tire off and saw the crack forming.

No more drag wheels on my daily drivers now
Old 08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I've had a Weld Draglite front runner crack on that same inner bead before. I used to run them on the street all the time, and they started leaking after a while. Took the tire off and saw the crack forming.

No more drag wheels on my daily drivers now
yeah now its custom wheels on the C6, and boyds on the SS.....
Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Those are still on the street and looking damn good I might add

Good to hear
Old 08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I daily drove a set of Bogart drag on flys on my old LX coupe for two years without incident. Everything Steve is saying is right, but when you set up your street car to look strip all the time you take your chances. I have weld magnum drag 2.0 one piece billet fronts on my current LX coupe and haven't had any problems there, but it doesn't mean I won't later, it's a risk for sure, but Bogart makes a great set of wheels and I would wager they may even replace it for him in my experiences with their customer service. It is top notch.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

IMO theres got to be more to the story. Im thinking those wheels would look a LOT more damaged if they just split while driving 30mph... and then into a curb. I also think the tire itself would be a lot more chewed up.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys we are just taking chances with the skinnies up front when the manufacturer says not to on the street. My prostars do say drag race only. Also, after grinding for hours to get them to fit, they still barely scrub when i go around a turn so that shows you how weak my pro stars are. I bolt them on and drive from the house to the track and back. I know I am taking a chance just as many of us are. Can't blame SJM unless it was actually a defective wheel which I doubt.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use prostars and the 8 ply sportsmans on my car for street driving, I was looking at the tire the thother day and they say 60psi for max load (I usually run them at 40). If you put 60psi cold in that thing and street drive it in the heat the pressure will go up quick on skinneys - maybe it just the blew the wheel apart. I dont think bogarts are rated to 60psi are they? Hart to tell what tires hes has the 4 or 8 ply, good friend of mine is missing some fingers when one of his dragster front tires blew out because it was over inflated and the car rolled at 170+.

I wont street drive my bogarts at all after seeing them though, I would make the occasional drive on them instead of switching wheels/tires but I think I go through the trouble from now on
Old 08-18-2005, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High pressures can most certainly effect any wheels durability. Tires w/max inflation rating is stated to let the user how high they can inflate the tire. Fill a tire to 50-60psi and run them will certainly decrease the longevity of the wheel, not to mention the tire.

You'll find this with every tire. Just as the stock tires on your car probably say they can inflate to ~45psi, I do not recommend filling them this high. Typical suggested pressures are ~30psi. I'd suggest similar pressures on the street with any skinny wheel.

Obviosly, you don't want them to wear the edges down from under-inflation...just don't get too crazy on your pressures. As mentioned, pressure will increase as temperatures rise, so be advised. At the track, if you want the benifits from less rolling resistance, then fill them up briefly, but don't leave them high all the time. The harder the tires, the more stress placed on the shells as well as higher frequency of vibrations transfered to the material.

Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I ran Weld Draglites and Pro Stars from 2000 to 2005 (last week) on my car. Total was about 17,000 miles. I drove from here to TN and back in 2000.

Over five year I have zero rim problems. I always avoided pot holes.

I did blow out a metric radial skinny going 50 mph back in 2003. I caught it fast.

I now have Bogart RT's and 4 ply Sportman Fronts. I see no problems. The Bogarts are just as well made as the Welds but just nicer looking with slightly better sizes for our cars.

I will run my fronts at like 40psi.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

What about the road race wheels? Does the race use only apply to them also?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

if a tire or wheel says "drag race only, not for highway use" there just might be a reason for that... i can see it now "i wrecked my car taking a turn" "what tires and wheels did you have?" "3inch skinnies on the front and 11X16s on the rear with wrinkle wall slicks".......
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Wow. Lucky Guy!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have bent 2 draglites this year in less than a month. But both times I lowered the pressure in the tires down to around 42 psi. I normally run aournd 50 because the tire looks really low. I hit a pot hole each time and it bent both the inside and ouside lip. I didnt have a spare (n2o bottles) so I had to take the rim off and beat on it until it would hold air. I drove home like that but slowly (under 55) for about 50 miles. I am not saying it was safe but Iam not going to pay someone to tow me home when I could drive it, I knew the risk. I do DD with them on most of the time but I dont take corners as fast as I do with the stock tires.

I think every company puts that label on "not for highway use" as a liabilty issue so if they do break which is possable nobody can sue them.

Quick Reply: Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!