Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Front tires wearing hard on outside of tire??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front tires wearing hard on outside of tire??

When I bought the car last year in November, the car had 10k miles on it. The back tires were in good condition, but the fronts had bad wear on the outside of the tires. The car's alignment seemed to be out because the car pulled to the left. I took the car back to the dealership and they "fixed" the alignment and the car stopped pulling to the left. I thought...no big deal and I got the tires rotated. Now, the tires that were on the back originally are on the front and it's 9,000 miles later. They also now are showing significant wear on the outsides, over the middle or inside of the tire, just like the back tires. The back tires are basically shot just because the outside of the tire is jacked up...the inside and middle of the tire probably have 20k miles left!! The front tires now probably have about 10k miles left if I'm lucky, and probably 15k if I move them to the back...forcing me to buy new tires way before it's time to do so . Any ideas on what to do?? Does anyone else's Camaro eat up tires like mine?...were you able to fix it? I'm trying to save up for a large power increasing project...spending $650+ on tires does not help me!! Could the camber of the tires be off center for handling?? I'm about ready to myself, or just my life away!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For performance driving, you need a performance wheel alignment, not a stock wheel alignment. The outside edges of the tires are ripped off because the car doesn't have enough negative camber to keep the front tires square with the road in a fast turn.

Go back and get a new wheel alignment. Tell them you want the maximum possible negative camber that the adjustment will allow and exactly zero toe, not "toe within factory tolerance." You should wind up with about -0.6 degrees camber if your car is still at the stock ride height. If you lower it two inches, you can get about -1.6 degrees. In the mean time, slow down for those corners!