Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Powder coating or painting wheels?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default Powder coating or painting wheels?????

I just bought a set of classic TTII's. I need to get them powder coated or painted black. The problem is the money, powder coating is too expensive for me right now. The questions are: Is it ok just to take them to a body shop to get them painted? For how long would the paint last (assuming that they do a good job)? A shop is charging me $100 per wheel powder coated, and a guy that I know says that he would charge me only $25 per wheel for the regular paint. I know that powder coat is the best that I can get, but I don't really know what to do since I am kind of broke right now. I need some feedback from the experts.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

research before doing black, a black wheel always makes the tire look dirty and hides the design of the wheel. this is when a polished lip and/or center is needed. PC will hold up a lot better. you could get your own powdercoating kit for 60 bucks, find a old oven on garbage day and start powdercoating stuff as long as u already have a air compressor. btw if u are kinda broke right now, save up for what you really want. i wouldnt mind painting stock wheels or cheap wheels, but not something like TTIIs.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

i can powdercoat them for almost half of that. pm me
Old 08-31-2005 | 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=JustAnIlluzion]research before doing black, a black wheel always makes the tire look dirty and hides the design of the wheel.
Dude, the classic TTIIs are the ones that have the polished lip and center cap, so black will look good.