Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17*11 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17*11 Problem

Ok so I got my black with polished lip 17*11's in today for the rear of my 2000 SS and well one is bent not a big deal can get it replaced. But went to mount it and the damn thing hits flush on my bumpstop. Not really sure of how to fix this problem have any of yall cut the bumpstop out of your rear fender wells and are there any other solutions to this. Its a hassle to do the wider rims but Im stuck with em now so any suggestions would be helpfull. I thought about taking the bfh to it but my coil over is right up against the wheel well so ya. Well any suggestions or comments would be helpfull thanks a ton!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

just be careful with the bfh mod. remember, you just want to massage the fender, nothing else. You could just give it some semi-light taps instead of a thor-smack!!!

How are you jacking the car? People normally have to jack the car by the rear end in-order to install the 17x11 rear rim. You could shave it down, flush with the fram there, but i wont completely remove it.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Well I took it to my friend up at discount tire and we just tried just the rim and yea just smack right against the bump stop. I think if it werent there it would work out fine but I just dont know how good I feel about doin something like that. Thanks for the response though.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is only hitting when the car is jacked up?

Jack the car up from the axle and you will be fine. Remember once the car is on the ground it won't hit the bumpstop. I had the same problem but I just jacked up the car by the axle and I've been fine. I've never hit the bumpstop while driving. I think the only way you could is if you go flying.

I've since grinded down part of the bumpstop just enought to clear my wheels
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Yea that makes sense I really didnt even think about it. But I see what your sayin. I will do it after I get outta class tomorrow and see if it helps I might bend the wheel well in a tad just to help out. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was in the same boat as you are now and after I just jacked up the car on the axle I realized how much easier it was and I should have done it from the beginning. The only real reason I grinded the corner on the bumpstop was when I take it to the shop and they put it on the lift. The car had been on the lift a lot before I grinded and I never had a problem but I decided to just grind the bumpstop and not have to worry about it ever again.