Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Winter Tires Blizzak Ws-50 or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice??

Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Tires Blizzak Ws-50 or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice??

Hey guys,
I have been doing my searching and found some good information as far as winter tires. I however want to know which of these two tires to buy. I have read that the Bridgestone Blizzak Ws-50 is an excellent winter tire for our cars and I can purchase a set of 215/60/16 from tirerack.com for $91 each. plus shipping. Now I am on a serious budget and I found the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice on Tires.com for $86 each in the same size, plus free shipping so roughly I can get those tires for $75 cheaper shipped to my door.

My Question comes down to: Is the Goodyear Ultra Grip a good tire, or are the Blizzaks that much better of a tire that I should spend the extra $75 ??

I have not been able to find any information on this goodyear tire so I am not sure how it performs, so anyone who has it or has knowledge on it please give me your insight. I want a good winter tire and if the goodyears are going to perform as well or almost as well as the Blizzak then saving the $75 is worth it for me. however if they are not going to perform as well, then the extra $75 is necessary.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I used the Blizzaks, in New England, on a 3rd gen IROC, living at the top of a hill, never ever had a problem getting to my place, no matter how much it snowed.
Personally I won't use any other winter tire but the Blizzaks
FWIW
Old 09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

I would get the Blizzacks hands down, they have been more than proven on these cars. I have run them on several different cars. My Camaro actually handled better with them than my Cavalier did. The car was a tank in the snow.

BTW: Check Discounttire.com. The initial price is usually a touch more but shipping is free, might save a few bucks in the end. Also, you can usually apply for a 6 month 0% credit line right on their site, may help if your really in a bind.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I could get the Blizzaks from Discounttire.com but they don't carry them, if they did I would be all over it, but so far it looks like I should just go with the Blizzaks, I would still like to hear from someone who has used the Goodyears though. Thanks for your comments guys I appreciate it!!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

I just purchased firebird wheels like this (picture attached) with bald tires mounted on them to put winter tires on, not sure what the width are because I am not at home to measure them so I was curious as to what their width is. Does anyone one know if these rims are norrow enough to mount 215/60/16 tires on, I read in the "Does It Fit Sticky" that you can only mount 215 tires on a 7.5" wide rim or less, and I wanna make sure before I order my new tires for winter. I would like to get 215 width winter tires because they are cheaper and I need to know if they will fit. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires Blizzak Ws-50 or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice??-birdwheel.jpg  
Old 09-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28toaz34
I just purchased firebird wheels like this (picture attached) with bald tires mounted on them to put winter tires on, not sure what the width are because I am not at home to measure them so I was curious as to what their width is. Does anyone one know if these rims are norrow enough to mount 215/60/16 tires on, I read in the "Does It Fit Sticky" that you can only mount 215 tires on a 7.5" wide rim or less, and I wanna make sure before I order my new tires for winter. I would like to get 215 width winter tires because they are cheaper and I need to know if they will fit. Thanks.
They are 16x7
Old 09-18-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

alright thanks man I will order the tires then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Tires Blizzak Ws-50 or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice??