Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

M/T Drag Radial Tire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M/T Drag Radial Tire Problem

I got a set of the 17" M/T Drag Radials back earlier in the year. They may, and I mean may, have 2000 miles on them. Haven't been to the track, so no burnouts and since the car has pretty much run like **** all summer due to a tuning issue, really they've been only regular tires. I had these put on by Discount Tire and within a week of putting them on I was on the expressway and the seat started vibrating like crazy. I knew the wheels were out of balance. I don't do a lot of expressway driving so I really didn't do anything about it. Last week I got back on I-75 and once again it started vibrating like a dog shitting razor blades at about 65 mph.

Today, I took it over to a Firestone dealer who tried to balance them. The driver side took 5 oz of lead to balance these things. I stood there and watched him. Then, they just spun the tire on the balancer and you could see a good size amount of runout around the circumference of the tire. This is not right and the guy told me the wheels were balanced, but that wouldn't solve the problem. It's the tires.

Now for the problem. I bought these tires from, you guessed it, AP Engineering, who the last I heard was in bankruptcy and the doors are closed. What do I do about this, who do I call or go see about getting these tires replaced?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way, I've read about the short life of these tires. Like I said above, I may have 2000 miles on these tires and they look brand new. The tread is the same as when I bought them, so with normal driving they seem to last real good. Now if I did burnouts and all that other stuff I'm sure they wouldn't last at all. Also, they are terrible in the rain. You do not go around a corner and accelerate at the same time. Just some info
Old 09-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Teching In

second the rain part......started raining on the e-way......slowed down to around 50, thought i was ok.....driving straight, not braking, not turning, not changing lanes, and then....a few 360's and $6k worth of damage to the front end.....although my tread is holding up just fine not burning them down a lot...but DOT or not, stay off the wet roads....
Old 09-24-2005, 01:57 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your probly just going to have to purchase new tires man, it seems your SOL. Good luck with gettin some new Rubber!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take them to a shop that is capable of doing R1H (most new balancers). When doing R1H you test the tire and wheel for high spots then rotate the tire so the high spot on it is on the low spot on the wheel. This will help but if they are over like 8lbs of runout you will need new tires.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:30 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wussys.....

I drove my car around all day in the rain yesterday and the ONLY time it got silly was when I did it on purpose. And I wasn't babying it either. Maybe my 4200 stall helps, I dunno.