Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17X11 ZR1/315 help please.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17X11 ZR1/315 help please.....

I just bought some chrome 17x11 ZR-1 rims with +50mm offset for my 2000 SS. These things are HUGE. Me and a buddy just slipped the rim on without tires mounted yet to see where our areas of concern may lie. We lifted the car from the rear with the suspension loaded and seemed to have a bit more room where we could imagine the tire would fit on the rim, but initially we can see a problem with the bump stop. What are viable options to deal with the bump stop once tires are mounted? Currently we are planning on removing the bump stop and doing the BFH mod. Has anyone actually removed their bump stop with the application of 17X11 inch rims and 315's?

Also, I am planning to put BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KD's on the car. I just would like to know if anyone has experience with these tires in this size and how they fit. I have a 2000 SS, lowered with the eibach prokit and have LCA's, relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard rod. I am not interested in nitto's or other tires at this point, so if you can speak on the G-Force tires only, it would be appreciated. They are fat. I've wanted to do this for a long time and now I have the rims, but am really concerned if I will be able to get these tires and rims to fit. I've done extensive research on the proper offset and tires, but after throwing the rims on and seeing how large they are, I am slightly concerned Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is any other helpful advice that you can offer me, please speak up. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

i have a set of fikse 17X11 with 315's and i have no probs with any rubbing other than the fender lip when i hit bumps i have to roll the fender lips when you use a lift on your car you are going to have to use a jack to remove your back wheels or they are going to hit the bumps stops when you lift the car and rest on them i guess it won't hurt the wheels to rest on the bump stops but that is the only thing i have found
Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that a lot of people remove the bump stop, but GM actually puts a different bump stop for the Fbodies that have 17" wheels. You might look into trying to source these.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

any way to put 11 inch wide rims on your car without doing the BFH mod? you guys only having problems with scraping if you go over bumps with people in the car? i dont want to touch the sheet metal on my car, but i want 11s
Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

rolling the fenderlips is not a big deal i did not have to do the bfh mod iit depends on the offset of your wheels
Old 10-08-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
any way to put 11 inch wide rims on your car without doing the BFH mod? you guys only having problems with scraping if you go over bumps with people in the car? i dont want to touch the sheet metal on my car, but i want 11s
Big spacer, but then you'll be bumping the fender well w/the tire when you hit bumps, it'll be best to beat in the inner well.

As far as the bumpstop being a problem, as long as you jack the car up w/the suspension loaded (such as jacking it up by the differential, be careful of the lip where the cover meets the body) and put the wheels on that way, you wont touch teh bump stop, now just try not get air fast and furious style
Old 10-08-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the bumpstops they serve no real purpose and roll the lips. The tires will fit fine. Since your car is lowered you should definately look into getting an Adjustable Panhard Bar. It is critical to get the rear perfectly centered since you can not spare any space.

If you also happen to need a roller for the quarter panel lips. I have one for rent. Just PM me and I will hook you up.

Regards,
Kevin
Old 10-08-2005, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just installed these rims on my 99 s 2 days ago but iused nittos which do run smaller. i have no rubbing issues at all, the only thing is i need to jack it up by the rear axle so it doesnt hit the bumpstops. also the 50 mm offset btw. bfg kd's will be on there after these wear out. i have an adj panhard too just make sure its centered correctly and u will be fine. my buddy had the kds on his car w/o any issues and the same set up. btw where did u get ur rims and do u have any pics? not sure i like mine.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

i will not roll the outer fender lips

so the BFH mod you use it on the inner fender?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
so the BFH mod you use it on the inner fender?

Yes, you take a 3lb sledge hammer and just beat the inner fender where the tire has rubbed then recoat it with some undercoating. It's not really that big of a deal.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Second Club

you know my stock 245 width 16s rubbed the inner fender well... probably from driving through medians
Old 10-09-2005, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys, thanks for all of your helpful responses. I do have an adjustable panhard rod, so once I get the tires mounted that will help. I don't have any pictures yet. I have friends with 315's all running nitto's with no rubbing. I don't race my car very often and I've wanted the G-Force T/A KD's for a while. I know they run fatter than the nitto's, does anyone know how much larger? Right now, everything just looks SO tight under there. I'm almost hesitant to get the T/A KD's, but sometimes you've got to roll the dice to get what you want. I love where the +50mm offset placed the rim, and it gave me an idea of what I was in for. Is it safe to totally remove the bump stops if need be? I jacked my car from the rear after initially jacking it from the side. From the side, the rim was dropped almost on top of the bump stop and was touching the inner well. From the rear with the suspension loaded the rim raised off of the bump stop quite a bit, and no longer touched the inner well. It looked like I had about a half inch to 3/4 inch to play with before having to do the BFH mod. I'm sure with the fatter G-Force KD's, I'm going to have to do it.........I have no problem "encouraging" them to fit, so long as I can get them to fit. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

Hey LS2bait, I didn't answer your question about where I got my rims. Here's the link. http://www.customwheelsmarket.com/d24071342.html
Old 10-09-2005, 05:31 AM
11 Second Club

I been runing 315s with 17x11s for about a year now. At first i thought there was no rubbing but then noticed some black marks on the inner wheel well after doing some conering. I used a hammer and smashed the areas in and recoated it problem solved. Then the car felt way better going to 17x11s with 315s compared to 16x8s with 245s and decided to do some really hard conering then noticed the bump stop bracket was slightly hitting the rim threw seirous conering. Used a grinder to grind to grind down the braket a little. Did not have any problems since then.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:38 AM
10 second playa

I had all the same questions you did / do.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I grinded the outer part of the bumpstops upto close to the 2 bolts.
The bumpstop is still there, but skinnier, basically.
The wheel/tire clears nicely.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Launching!

The bfg KDs are huge. I put some on my car, and had to remove the bumpstop and do do a bfh mod.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since I love replying to this so much.....

Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

great pictures, thanks.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As often said, a picture is worth a thousand words