Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

horrible steering, follows ruts really bad could it be the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan-63nova
Definition
f-bodys are prone to this not due to a weak suspension design, but rather god awfull chassis flex, when you hit a bump or rut torrsion is applied to the chassis. this energy has to have someway to unload...case and point bump steer!
get subframe connectors
Ummm...No. It's the tires...trust me.

I've had the subframe connectors on since I got the car. The 275's up front follow all the ruts like everyone else here said. 245's will reduce this a bunch, SFC's will however make you FEEL everyone of those ridges and bumps better...lol

Kev
Old 10-31-2005, 05:33 AM
Banned

Default hubs

My hubs had a tiny bit of play in them and i replaced both of them and my bump steer was alot less noticable.. have some one qualified or just do it yourself check to front end for play...

dont goto pep boys or firestone ... they have mostly people who are apprentices working for them. if there is anyone that knows anything at a location they probably wont be working the alignment rack .. and their responce will be DUH WELL ITS in the green!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Ummm...No. It's the tires...trust me.

I've had the subframe connectors on since I got the car. The 275's up front follow all the ruts like everyone else here said. 245's will reduce this a bunch, SFC's will however make you FEEL everyone of those ridges and bumps better...lol

Kev

ummm...no. trust me, ive been in the tire buisness for 10 years, a 245's sidewall is going to allow for a increased amount of play in the overall assembly=smoother ride quality not reduced bump steer! your right, sfc's will give your car a much stiffer ride and you will feel every bump, but they WILL dramaticly reduce chassis torssion= less bump steer....BTW dont come on this site with smart *** comments, were all trying to help each other not match wits! maybe my word choice "totally eliminate" was too strong, i apologize. I was simply trying to explain how much sfc's help this problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Interesting.. subframes cured mine but i have stock wheels.... hmm so i guess when i get my TTll' i will have some annoiance all well ill lok good doin it!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Get the Baer Bump Steer kit. I have tried new tires, alignment, everything. The only thing that worked for me was the bump steer kit from Baer. Now, my car drives as straight as ever.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ryan-63nova
ummm...no. trust me, ive been in the tire buisness for 10 years, a 245's sidewall is going to allow for a increased amount of play in the overall assembly=smoother ride quality not reduced bump steer! your right, sfc's will give your car a much stiffer ride and you will feel every bump, but they WILL dramaticly reduce chassis torssion= less bump steer....BTW dont come on this site with smart *** comments, were all trying to help each other not match wits! maybe my word choice "totally eliminate" was too strong, i apologize. I was simply trying to explain how much sfc's help this problem.
Still not seeing how SFCs would affect wandering. I mean specifically. what part of the chassis is flexing to cause this?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Still not seeing how SFCs would affect wandering. I mean specifically. what part of the chassis is flexing to cause this?
being a unibody, the entire car will flex when a load is applied. I wish i could explain it better! ummmm its kinda like a spring...initially, as you compress it(hit a bump) it moves in the opposite direction of the applied force(the bump)the spring carrys stored energy(like a flexed chassis) when released it unloads this energy in the direction the force was applied(car moves into rut or bump)...i know its hard to believe your chassis has that much to do with your steering but it does, hope i could help!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Teching In

where could i find the baer bump steer kit? and how hard is it to install? can you do it yourself?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

The wandering is caused by the wide front tires.
I have this problem with 275 and wider tires on the front wheels.
Skinnier tires don't seem to wander at all, like the 245/45/17 on my old C5 wheels.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Teching In

hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. i had new tires put on my car yesterday and the problem is 85% gone, they arent the best tires, i didnt have a lot of money, but they defintely did the job

Quick Reply: horrible steering, follows ruts really bad could it be the tires?