Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Are bumpstops necessary....Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut mine off with no problems. I also used an air hammer to shape the fenders so that I could fit my 19x10 C6s

After all that, the fronts hit my Wilwoods
Old 12-24-2005, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Well, I finally put my tires on today. VERY smooth install. I was thinking the KD's would never make it on first try. I lifted the car from the rear to load the suspension, took off the rears and put on my new +50mm ZR-1's w/ BFG KD's. I was prepared for a nightmare, but everything went on no problem. I did have less than about 1/8 inch between one part of my tire and one of the ribs on the inner well. Took a 3lb sledge hammer and beat it back about another 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then took the car for a drive. It did great. Currently I haven't touched the bumpstops, not even to grind them, but that was due to time constraints today. After my 20 mile drive I did notice a small area of slight friction on part of my passenger side tire (facing inward to the inner well). I'll find the spot and adjust my panhard rod or BFH it again. Anyway, I was totally pleased with how the car looks, drives and the ease of my install. Me and my 8 year old Son did the install in my garage, while my 3 year old Son watched. Definitely worth it! Thanks everyone for your help. I've appreciated the discussion and all opinions voiced here.

As for my bumpstops......who knows. The jury is still out for me, but I will be deciding soon. I don't even think I'll have to roll my fender lips, because it's not even close to hitting. My driveway has a 6 inch, very steep lip upon entry and I just took it slow. It's all about angles (lowered guys know what I mean). I'll be watching closely though and if I notice the slightest chance of hitting, I'll be renting an eastwood fender roller. Tomorrow, it's just more driving to identify troubled areas, and tweaking areas, then I'll be using the rubberized undercoating to replace the undercoating that fell off. If your thinking about doing 315's, I say go for it. I'm glad I did and am 100% pleased.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

NOT TO THRED JACK but ive got a question..ive got a TA 2001 and i just bought the TT2's 17x11 for the back and 17x9.5's for the front and my car is stock ride hieght the only suspension mods i have is rear LCA's and a front strut tower bar.

Will i have to do any of this pounding with a BFH or get a adjustable panhard bar and roll the fender and mess with the bumpstops???or is that mostly just for the lowerd cars??

thanks for the help its much appretiated
Old 01-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE]NOT TO THRED JACK but ive got a question..ive got a TA 2001 and i just bought the TT2's 17x11 for the back and 17x9.5's for the front and my car is stock ride hieght the only suspension mods i have is rear LCA's and a front strut tower bar.

Will i have to do any of this pounding with a BFH or get a adjustable panhard bar and roll the fender and mess with the bumpstops???or is that mostly just for the lowerd cars??

thanks for the help its much appretiated[QUOTE]

When i first got my TT2's for my 99 WS6 i had it on a basically stock car that isnt lowered but yes i still had to do some modification in the rear with the 17x11's. I have heard a couple people say that they didnt have any problems but just about everybody ive talked to said they had to do something with the bumpstops so for the most part you will have to do something with the bumpstops. I pretty much just beat the hell out of them to move them inward. BUT the only reason why i did that over cutting them a little on the side is because i was at a tire shop getting them mounted. So id say cut the bump stops first on the edge then get the tires mounted.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WE NEED PICS
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics, I recently installed my 50mm Boyds same BS as ZR1 11's. I lowered the car an exact 1" with BMR lowering springs. I found the rear to be off center by about 1/2 inch or so, adjusted that with my panhard bar. The wheels were just hanging on the bump stops, so trimmed about 3/16 off with a cutoff wheel equal on both sides. This is with Nitto 315's which run smaller than BFG's. I am going to take the rubber part of the bumpstop to work and have it trimmed to match. I will probably hammer in the 3:00 position (Pass) 9:00 (Driver) just to add clearance. With BFG's more trimming and hammering may need to be done. Not sure about fender rolling, looks possible but I am going to wait to drive it to see. Took everything back out to paint the rear and detail a few other things.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

My 11's are 48mm with a 315/35 BFG Drag which runs kinda big. I shaved the bumstops within a lil more than a 1/4 inch from the bolts and painted it. Looks pretty good and the 48mm wheels have PLENTY OF ROOM