Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

M/T street radials guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
So does this mean that a set of 255/50R16 MT ET Streets would be a better bet for track work over the 275/40R17??

Also would the 225/50R16's be OK on a 8j rim? Because according to MT's website they state a 10j rim is needed, but for the same size tyre in BFG DR's they reccomend 7-9 rim, so there's seems quite a difference - any ideas??
I'd say yes. You have more sidewall with the 16" rim. I've seen high 10 sec passes on the 255/50R16 Et Street Radial dead hooking. The tire will fit fine on the stock width rim. I don't know why they recommend a 10" wide rim, that seems quite large, being that the tread width is just under 10" wide. I'm running the stock rim with them and haven't had any issues as far as fitment goes. Generally, if you're drag racing or street drag racing, the more the sidewalls give there is the better the car will hook. So a stiff sidewall doesn't give as much and will result in easier wheel spin. But it really depends on the car too, Vettes hook just fine with a 40R17 drag radial. F-bodies don't do so well once the power level starts creeping up. If you're doing alot of drag/street racing and want a stock appearing car that hooks then go with the 50R16 ET Street Radial on a stock rim.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I honestly don't see how the 255's could grab any better when they are 2 cm narrower, granted the side wall is 1/2" wider but I don't believe that will make up for the width difference.
I couldn't say for sure that they would because I've never run a 40R17 tire on my car, but I have raced against several. I left on them all on the street, and at the track I consistently see quicker short times. They'd complain about track prep and I'm dead hooking.

I guess just try and find out what works for your car/driving style. It takes alot of trial and error, and if you practice enough with whatever you do get then you should be happy. Either way you can't go wrong with the ET Street Radial no matter the size.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help i see that everyone has diff opinons on the subject, i will say this that it is alot harder to get traction in a stalled auto than you m6 guys would think, i run a 3600stall 2.2 str, its pretty vilent off the line, idont have alot of power or anything but at 25psi heating them up and leaving at 1100rpm they will spin about a car length on the street, i will let you know how they hold at the track on saturday. im going to try to start off with 15psi and see if that holds.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Do some reading on tires. If the surfaces are perfectly flat then width doesn't make a difference. It's when you get an uneven surface that the width helps. A sidewall with more cushion is more important than width on a drag car. Why do you think almost all slicks are for 15" rims? There was a good article in GMHTP mag last year about tires. It gave an example of pushing a brick. Put it on it's side or flat and it takes the same amount of force to push either way.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

I can spin them a little from a stop on the street, but I did cut a 1.54 60' @ 20psi the other night.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is that I'm going with MT ET Streets 26X11.5X15 when Weld Racing comes out with the redesigned 15" Prostars that will fit our cars without grinding the calipers.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

I am picking up a set of MT street radials this spring. Having never used a set of DR's before, I usually drive around the water box on my regular street tires. Here's a couple of newb question for you all:
1)Do I need to back up into the water box and get them wet before I do my burnout at the track?
2) Im running the car in the sig with a 10 bolt: I know its a question of when, not if, its going to break, but can anyone recommend a launch technique that will prolong the inevitable with the dr's and get me around a 1.8-1.9?
Michael.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

I straddle the puddles in the waterbox with the front tires and then swing over so the rears go through the puddles. I then do a short burnout. Backing up into it would work too. Are you an M6? I ease into the clutch and have made about 20 passes so far with no problems. Several of which are 5K+ rpm launches.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Yup, im a M6. I'll give that a try.

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I straddle the puddles in the waterbox with the front tires and then swing over so the rears go through the puddles. I then do a short burnout. Backing up into it would work too. Are you an M6? I ease into the clutch and have made about 20 passes so far with no problems. Several of which are 5K+ rpm launches.