Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15x8 Prostar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15x8 Prostar?

I've done a search and really did not get the answer I was looking for....

I am thinking of ordering 15x8 prostars for the rear and wondered if a 28x10.5 ET Drag would go on just fine. Also...would I have any rubbing or clearance issues to deal with? I would go 15x10 but did find in the search that these would be tough to get to fit correctly, especially with the tire I am going to run...

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel is way too small for that tire.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone who has actually gone this route?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 PM
hashtagBMW

26x10.0x15 would work for the 15x8 Prostar.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Retired Street Racer

It will work. I had 28x10.5x15 on 15x8 prostars before. I would definitely not go any bigger than that though.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

DECISIONS...

Im still debating whether I want to go with the 15x8 or 15x10 prostar...Im leaning towards the 15x8 because from what Ive read, I really wont have any fitment issues other than the caliper grindin'...I really dont wanna roll my fenders or spend too much time pounding the inner fender wells...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

It should be a no brainer. You're using the wrong tire for the wrong wheel who cares how you think it will fit. For what you're using thinking is a decision... you're probably going to have to modify the fender well anyways...The wheel isn't going to change the fitment issue.

You're trying to put a tire on a wheel that requires a MIN of 9 inches and stuffing it on an 8 inch wheel. There should be more relevant issues that you should be looking at as your decision.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that rim and tire combo will be fine.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Will the wheel fit without grinding the calipers?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
Will the wheel fit without grinding the calipers?
No, you must grind, or switch to LT-1 calipers.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
It will work. I had 28x10.5x15 on 15x8 prostars before. I would definitely not go any bigger than that though.
When launching the car did it squat the body down on the tire?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
When launching the car did it squat the body down on the tire?
I PM'd 4thGEN back n' forth the other day and he stated he had no problems on launch...

Also spoke with john @ TSP and this is the exact set up he runs at the track...
Old 04-29-2006, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Cool, thanks man.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 PM
FormerVendor

For the guys running these wheels/tires as a combo. You really need to be looking at the specs that us engineers setup for wheels/tires.

We don't just set specs without reason. I can understand if someone wanted to try it as an afterthought. It is simply rediculous to purchase the components when before hand you know they are not correctly setup for the combo you are considering.

It's funny how when you see someone mention that 315's shouldn't be used on a 9.5 inch wheel...There has been debate over the years from folks whom just think this is ok to run this way since that is what they do... there is a sticky on the top of the board from this one I suppose since it has been debated back and forth...how folks can recommend a combo like this is pretty much the same analogy. The 315 sticky should include this type of setup as well...

Not trying to create an arguement here...only trying to help you out. For the original poster, do what you wish...maybe others can see how I'm trying to guide you correctly. As mentioned there is absolutly no reason to think an 8 inch wheel will help the tire any in efforts to make it fit in the wheelwell any better then a 10 inch wheel. It wont help a bit.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
For the guys running these wheels/tires as a combo. You really need to be looking at the specs that us engineers setup for wheels/tires.

We don't just set specs without reason. I can understand if someone wanted to try it as an afterthought. It is simply rediculous to purchase the components when before hand you know they are not correctly setup for the combo you are considering.

It's funny how when you see someone mention that 315's shouldn't be used on a 9.5 inch wheel...There has been debate over the years from folks whom just think this is ok to run this way since that is what they do... there is a sticky on the top of the board from this one I suppose since it has been debated back and forth...how folks can recommend a combo like this is pretty much the same analogy. The 315 sticky should include this type of setup as well...

Not trying to create an arguement here...only trying to help you out. For the original poster, do what you wish...maybe others can see how I'm trying to guide you correctly. As mentioned there is absolutly no reason to think an 8 inch wheel will help the tire any in efforts to make it fit in the wheelwell any better then a 10 inch wheel. It wont help a bit.
Totally agree....... but hey what do you know right.........

Its your car mess it up anyway ya want..........
Old 04-29-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for everyones input...

After doing some searches, I found many different opinions in different threads that did not really help me in my decision...I saw many running 28x10.5 on 15x8's with no problems, then I found many thinking this combo was the devil Im simply looking for further information that will guide me in the right direction. Im still entertaining the 26x10.5 ET Drag as well. SJM, thanks for the advice...it will help me greatly!

I guess the only thing that confuses me is where people have had more fitment/clearance issues with a 15x10 than a 15x8 using the same tire? I figured that it wouldnt matter since the same size tire would be used...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

You're welcome. Fitment clearance issues won't change (regarding tire) whether you use n 8 or a 10. you NEED to use a 10 if you want to run it correctly. Certainly you can run an 8 inch wheel...but I wouldn't. There may be minute differences between the 8 fitting over the caliper BUT the 8 inch wheel backspace sucks and is way off from what you need.

Here's an area that others will say no its fine...i use it blah blah blah...here's the situation...a STOCK 8 inch F-body wheel's backspace is ~6.25-6.75 (depending on the model year)...a weld ONLY offers their largest sitting at 5.5. SO this means your new weld 8 inch wheel will sit .75-1.25 inches OUT from where the stock wheel sits...this puts the wheel completely out of the fenders center, your large tire will bubble quite a bit, look stupid (in my opinion) and not be centered.

If you're concerned about fitment at all...want a wheel that you don't have to screw with, and is actually ~5 lbs lighter PER wheel (30%) then our Bogart wheels are what you should be looking at...you won't have to be messing with adding spacers with your setup and grind quite a bit....our wheels are more expensive BUT you're getting a much higher quality wheel.

Definitely take the others opinions in consideration...heck opinions are like ********, we all have them...any conciliation...I'm an engineer, I work with this stuff everyday...specifically designing wheels and setting them up correctly.

here's some more to think about...those welds your looking at, you NEED longer studs...realistically at LEAST 3" studs...you'll hear others state no you don't, they run them everyday with stock studs...

Don't run those wheels without skinnies on the front, do NOT use radial tires up front at all. You're going to have to modify parts, change studs etc with a weld wheel.

Steve
Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u know sjm has a lot of valuable info and i have learned many a things from your numerous posts but honestly when does the sales pitch stop? you can still voice your opinion and offer the info you have to offer without trying to sell your wheels. i hardly ever read the second half of all your posts because it usually has a sales pitch in it. like i said very good advice just cool it on the sales pitch.

btw fwiw i wouldnt run anything larger than a 28x9.o on an 8" rim. a buddy of mine runs those and i think its on the verge of being too large also but m/t uses an 8" rim for measuring widths and they would do so on that tire if it were so "unsafe"
Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just go with the 15x10. It won't take much more work to get them to fit vs a 15x8. Not only will you have more contact of the tires to the ground with the 15x10, but also for what Steve has said above...It's safer!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

LS2, I didn't feel I was giving a sales pitch. Actually I mentioned our wheels just to give him an alternative...Sometimes I feel I repeat myself too much also...so you're not the only one.

It appears some do not search posts or may not be as computer literate to searching for this previous info. I certainly have commented regarding these tires and 8 inch wheels previously...so this is a repeat also. STILL many folks use these 8 inch wheels with too large of a tire. I still even see folks using those radial front tires as well!!

The level of each persons background may not be the same. I offer my service and knowlege to him (and others who ask). I am very passionate about the products we design and manufacture. I do feel our products are superior to others and our services are second to none.

Many still have never heard of our products...so this is an opportunity for some to consider things they may have overlooked. We pay for advertising so that our information can be passed on to others. Some folks think a drag wheel is just a wheel and they are all very similar.

I'm happy that I've givin you advise you've grown from! I certainly am not a know it all...others have posted discussions that have helped me also.

Quick Reply: 15x8 Prostar?