Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rim Experts.... Widened Wheels Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rim Experts.... Widened Wheels Help!

Im trying to research as much as i can before i get my evo's widened to 11.5's out back. Any info is appreicated....

So my wheels are 18X9 with a 38mm offset( 6.5 inches of backspace), and XXXX company is going to weld in 2.5 inches to the back of the wheel. This means thats 2.5 inches ( or 61.25mm) is going to be added to the rim. So if my calcualtions are correct the new rim is going to be 69mm offset with a back space of 8 inches... is this correct??!?!

Then with a 1inch spacer, ill have a offset of 44mm, PERFECT, right!?!?!

Thanks Guys!

Hopefully should look like this when done....

Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

ttt
Old 05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I calculated it out to a 69.75mm offset, so it's pretty close. The thing that I'm concerned about however is the 1" spacer idea. Not that you wouldn't still be able to run a wheel that wide without the 1" spacer, but you're going to have to work the inner fenderwells alot more than most. If you wanna be dead nuts on about how much space you have to work with between the lip of the wheels and the edge of the fenders, do this: take a piece of string and cut it approximately 12 feet long, tie weights at each end, and then drape it over the back end of the car with the string being lined up at dead center of each wheel well. The weights will pull the string taught and give you an imaginary "straight edge" from which to measure. Then use a ruler to measure the distance from the string to the lip of the wheel. That'll give you a better indication of how big of a spacer you'll be able to get away with, and it'll also show how well centered your axle is.

The WS6 wheel in the example you showed is a bit deceiving in that those wheels have a higher starting offset than Evo's and sit further inside the fenders, which is how that guy got away with using a spacer that big.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the help!