Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

15x6 Up Front ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15x6 Up Front ?

Was wondering if anyone out there has tried or does run a 15x6 wheel up front? Been looking into a new setup for my car and thinking maybe going that route since the rears will most likely be 15x10. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as far as i know they would not fit right. plus they would look weird i think if your trying to go with a drag set up
Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was looking for a drag look setup. I know 15x3.5 are not DOT legal. Maybe the 15x4 are? Im going with a bigger, taller tire in the rear with a mini tub and narrowed rear and wanted something that would be good for a daily driver up front. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

I've never personally seen it. Maybe Bogart can get you a custom 15x6 that would work.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just go with the 15x3.5...No one is going to know the size of the rim. That's going to be my daily driver set up....15x3.5 165 tires, 15x10 with 325/50R/15 Nitto's in the back.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we do it, sure we can, but I won't recommend it for your setup. It not only will be heavier BUT you're going to be stuck to running a larger heavier tire AND you'll be stressing the wheel to a greater extent due to the larger contact patch and tire construction..

...don't run a 165 radial tire either!! Stick with a 1573 runner or drag runner if you want to save even more weight.

...not sure why anyone would use a drag setup for a daily driver as it handles pretty bad in comparison to even a stock setup. Just driving it to car shows or events is one thing...but not an every occurance for going to/from work.

Occasionally we get folks who want to try this, what I give them as a scenerio is sort of like this...

...would you want to purchase an all season tire for your car which has bad traction characteristics and handling in comparison to a summer tire...by trying to setup a wheel setup for both daily use and drag use, this is sort of along the same lines. You'll end up having a setup that is not very good for either setup but just ok for both.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Can we do it, sure we can, but I won't recommend it for your setup. It not only will be heavier BUT you're going to be stuck to running a larger heavier tire AND you'll be stressing the wheel to a greater extent due to the larger contact patch and tire construction..

...don't run a 165 radial tire either!! Stick with a 1573 runner or drag runner if you want to save even more weight.

...not sure why anyone would use a drag setup for a daily driver as it handles pretty bad in comparison to even a stock setup. Just driving it to car shows or events is one thing...but not an every occurance for going to/from work.

Occasionally we get folks who want to try this, what I give them as a scenerio is sort of like this...

...would you want to purchase an all season tire for your car which has bad traction characteristics and handling in comparison to a summer tire...by trying to setup a wheel setup for both daily use and drag use, this is sort of along the same lines. You'll end up having a setup that is not very good for either setup but just ok for both.

I highly disagree. I've known people that run a 15x3.5 drag wheel up fronts with 165 metric tires as daily drivers for years without any problems. Daily driver does not necessarily mean you drive it all winter, or when the roads are that bad.

Driving with skinnies on a daily driven car isn't nearly as bad as people think it is. I'm not the type that sits there and takes corners at 100 MPH either...as I do have my front sway bar removed.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah id deffinatly recomend 15x3.5s..their lighter an you wont see any diffrence in looks compared to a 15x4. and i dont know why everyone says "oh dont daily drive on skinnies or 165s..BS for 3 years now ive been daily driving on skinnies and its always handled fine.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an Engineer, I'm not going to argue these points. We do not rate components for no reason or design a part to be used for every application.

A VW tire is not rated for the car, diameter is too small compared to stock which effects ABS creating even more issues. The only benefit I can see would be cost over a correctly rated tire.

When someone states daily driver, to me it means exactly that. Winter driving or bad weather is not the issue. The typical daily driver vehicle is used 10-15,000 miles a year. If you're under 5K per year, it certainly isn't considered a daily driver. it would be a leisure vehicle at this point. I believe most insurance companies consider this also.

I'd admit, I use my car on the street with skinnies BUT I only use the car to go to car shows or events with this combo. Daily driving the car just doesn't make sense when you're using a race setup on the street. Put some wide tires on it and at least have fun with it instead of driving like a Sunday driver not wanting to take turns...that's why I have a 315/275 combo as well.

I wish you luck Sebastian. Picking up a good slick/skinny combo will have great benfits for racing. But use them for racing. Using the set for daily driving you'll soon find out their shortcomings.

Quick Reply: 15x6 Up Front ?